• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bird cage now hamster cage

Mrs Ord

Mama Doe
Well after spending a long time searching for a good size hamster cage I realised its actually impossible :censored: I know the hamster heaven and cambridge are pretty big but Sausages was already in a converted zoozone so they didn't really offer much more space and they were maybe a bit boring for a young active hamster. I know he was certainly bored with the zoozone :( So I've been trying to sell an old bird cage for a while and realised size wise it was a perfect hamster cage it just needed adapting. Its awkward and hard to clean because there are only two small doors halfway up either side but its made him very happy and hes zooming around up and down the tubes and very pleased with his four storey home :D

05022011239.jpg

05022011240.jpg

Yeh its easy for them. It like us bracing ourselves against two walls close together and bunking up a bit at a time. Hammys do it with a bit more grace though because they have four feet :lol:

Yeh its easy for them. It like us bracing ourselves against two walls close together and bunking up a bit at a time. Hammys do it with a bit more grace though because they have four feet :lol:

Sorry for my ignorance, i genuinely know NOTHING about hammys :oops:

Thats just awesome. I wana find a video showing that!

It looks fantastic! Well done :D

Though i'd be worried about those tubes when he gets older... They go straight up and it must be hard work :lol: Espcially when he gets older and slower :wave:

I'll be getting more ramps when he gets older i've already figued out how to make it work ;) He's just a young bubba though so fine for now :D

That looks brilliant. Well done. It looks like the Jenny rat cage which has the same footprint as the Hamster Heaven which is great. Excellent use of space and you have made it safe. I would be worried about using that cage without the solid floors but yoy have solved the problem of big drops perfectly.

That looks brilliant. Well done. It looks like the Jenny rat cage which has the same footprint as the Hamster Heaven which is great. Excellent use of space and you have made it safe. I would be worried about using that cage without the solid floors but yoy have solved the problem of big drops perfectly.

I was worried too. The only drop that still worries me a bit is the top one its not huge though. I'm going to put another ramp in like between the second and third floor. I couldn't do solid floors because of the lack of access to the cage. I wouldn't be able to get toys or food or anything on any of the levels if they were all full :roll:

It looks Brilliant.

But

the age point has already been said.

and

A silent spinner is not a suitable size for a syrian hamster. It is only 6.5 inchs where as they need a wheel around 8 inches, or bigger. Having such a small wheel can cause back problems in later life, especially when given one while it is young and still growing. As you know a hamster will spend most of the night on its wheel.

It looks Brilliant.

But

the age point has already been said.

and

A silent spinner is not a suitable size for a syrian hamster. It is only 6.5 inchs where as they need a wheel around 8 inches, or bigger. Having such a small wheel can cause back problems in later life, especially when given one while it is young and still growing. As you know a hamster will spend most of the night on its wheel.

But isn't the next size silent spinner huuuuge?

But isn't the next size silent spinner huuuuge?

Syrians are fine with 12" silent spinners. Mine had an 11" inch wheel and she was quite a small girl. You can get 8" wodent wheels if 12" inches seems too big to you but I have to agree, he will soon be too big for that size SS.

Junior is fine. Actually I have one I no longer use if you'd like it, it's a bit chewed but fine apart from that :)

Thats really nice of you :D I need to have a measure of the cage see how i'll get one in and make sure one will fit they look quite bulky or are they just deceiving? :?

Back