• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Unexpected Arrival. A month on - Byron Settles in

The Duchess

Wise Old Thumper
Had a phone call this morning from a woman who said she had found out that she wasn't allowed animals under her lease and had to get rid today or she'd be evicted.

To cut a long story short, the animals were at risk of injury for various reasons and despite being full, I went to get them.

By the time I got there she had 'found a home' for the rabbit (who had been living with a guinea pig in a 3 1/2 foot cage) to a friend. I managed to persuade her that is wasn't going to be a good solution but that if her friend wanted to adopt, then she should send her to me and I could help her do it right.

The rabbit was purchased from a local pet shop late October so only 4 months from purchase to getting rid.

When asked how long she'd known about not being able to have pets - thinking it was this week or something, she said recently. At least the rabbit and the guinea pig (who was being bitten by the unneutered male bun) are both safe and well now. The piggie (I've called him Pootle) has found a rescue space and the boy rabbit, who is now named Byron is going to stay and be rehomed by us. Neither animal had a name as she hadn't gotten around to it.

I feel sad if the lady was really at risk from being evicted, but it doesn't excuse the animals not being housed correctly.

Both animals are very scared indeed - whether it's from the fighting or from the 2yr old (or thereabouts) child I have no idea.

Meet Byron the magpie harlequin dwarf lop. He's got the most beautiful eyes.

Arrival8Feb2011004.jpg

Arrival8Feb2011002.jpg

Arrival8Feb2011003.jpg

Both animals are currently in quarantine. I'm hoping that Byron's pinkness around his eyes is due to the sawdust/shavings she was using and not infection, but he looks pretty healthy apart from his awful tiny poos.

Last edited:
What a handsome dude!

No name?!?!?! *sigh* :roll:

I bet he'll be snapped up soon.

Hope the piggie finds a great home soon too. :love:

What a handsome dude!

No name?!?!?! *sigh* :roll:

I bet he'll be snapped up soon.

Hope the piggie finds a great home soon too. :love:

He is sweet Erin.

Luckily I seem to have quite a few folks needing boys at the moment, only problem is that most want older bunnies and all I have are youngsters (apart from Bugsy who is the unbondable bunny).

Piggie will do fine I am sure, just hoping that he will settle because at the moment he is the most nervous piggie I have ever met. Lovely orange and brown short coat. No pictures sadly as he will not be handled and hides under the hay stack.:D

so sad :(
bet it was the 2 year old (no offence anyone)
i know how much i have to watch my 2 year old son and if care isnt taken...... :'(

so sad :(
bet it was the 2 year old (no offence anyone)
i know how much i have to watch my 2 year old son and if care isnt taken...... :'(

Well, I would have to agree that he probably didn't help. While I was putting them into carriers the boy was climbing on top of them and I had to take him off (don't want broken carriers apart from it not being any good for the animals). He also knew how to open the front of the cage :-(

But, the poor piggie was certainly terrified of the rabbit - running away so quickly when he approached, while I was trying to round them up. Not hard you would suppose in a small indoor cage but you'd be wrong :-(

By the time I got there she had 'found a home' for the rabbit (who had been living with a guinea pig in a 3 1/2 foot cage) to a friend. I managed to persuade her that is wasn't going to be a good solution but that if her friend wanted to adopt, then she should send her to me and I could help her do it right.

why when she had found a home for the rabbit which was to a friend where she could have seen it whenever she wanted etc :shock:
why did you tell her it was not a good idea to rehome it, do you rescues like to make more work for your selves? the rabbit had a home so it no longer required yo take it :shock:
i love it you get asked if you can take them you said your full but you went anyway she says she has found it a home for the rabbit and you say that is a bad idea yet they are welcome to come and adopt from you
sorry but to me that is just crazy :?

why when she had found a home for the rabbit which was to a friend where she could have seen it whenever she wanted etc :shock:
why did you tell her it was not a good idea to rehome it, do you rescues like to make more work for your selves? the rabbit had a home so it no longer required yo take it :shock:
i love it you get asked if you can take them you said your full but you went anyway she says she has found it a home for the rabbit and you say that is a bad idea yet they are welcome to come and adopt from you

i suspect because the rabbit had already been living in poor conditions and she knew that the rabbit would likely be going in that same cage to live in the same conditions.

ETA - doing it this way also means that if the friend is serious about taking on this rabbit, she can do so, but do it properly and be educated about what bun needs. rather than taking it on a whim and it ending up in a rescue in a few months anyway.
i would prefer bun to go to a forever home soon than be bounced around again

Think logically-

rehomed to a friend so she could see it, yes.

But also, in a cage half the size needed.

So it would be stuck in the prison for life, on its own.

I would have done exactly the same as Helen.

This woman sounded like she had probably spur of the moment asked her friend, who in turn probably thought "Yeah, why not"

If her friend truly wants to adopt this rabbit, she will get in touch and do it the right way.

If she doesn't- point proven.

How sad. I feel for bun and piggy. There is no excuse for the way the pair of them were being kept, ignorance is not an excuse, the woman sounds very irresponsible and I'm pleased they are both now safe and set to find new better informed forever homes.

I'm rather unforgiving of people I'm afraid and I know from the number of propertys I've moved between over the years that you are usually made well aware of whether your landlord will allow pets in the property and if so what sorts of pets. She just sounds irresponsible to me. It does make me cross that people who are ignorant and unwilling to look in to correct animal care before entering in to a life times commitment to a pet can just walk in to any pet shop and purchase any animal they fancy at the time.

It's just so sad but fingers crossed they will both calm down in your care and learn that not all people are mean. I'm sure this handsome chap will find himself a home very soon xx

I, too, would have done the exact same thing as Helen.

It sounds like the friend wanted to home the bunny on impulse. With Helen, he will be vaccinated, neutered and found a home with another bunny for company.

If this woman's friend is serious about homing a rabbit (or rabbits!!!) she will be prepared to go through the best routes (i.e. rescue).

Please think before you slate what rescues do! :roll:

The woman managed to not do anything for the weeks that she knew she supposedly knew she had to rehome. The woman miraculously found a home with a friend, who only became available when I had already arranged a safe place for both the rabbit and the piggy. The friend's rabbit died of unknown causes and was kept alone. The rabbit and piggy were at risk in this home and the owner didn't understand why the way they were living was unacceptable so was not likely to know if her friend was a good home or not.

She didn't have to give me the rabbit but I gave her some sound advice about what would be best for the animals and she agreed that I should get the rabbit.

So are you saying that you would rather leave a terrified rabbit who had been kept in a tiny cage on an unsuitable diet, with no veterinary care or would you have found a space for it?

Extraordinary reaction from you - I don't go out to fill up my hutches with rabbits but when animals are clearly not cared for and are in my opinion at risk, then yes I would rather they came in, got neutered and vaccinated and then if the friend still wanted to have him, she could - but she would be given the correct care advice before she could.

Think logically-

rehomed to a friend so she could see it, yes.

But also, in a cage half the size needed.

So it would be stuck in the prison for life, on its own.

I would have done exactly the same as Helen.

This woman sounded like she had probably spur of the moment asked her friend, who in turn probably thought "Yeah, why not"

If her friend truly wants to adopt this rabbit, she will get in touch and do it the right way.

If she doesn't- point proven.

Just noticed this after having posted! I completely agree with Starlights here. This was not a case of the rescue making 'more work for themselves'. It was the fact that she knew the rabbit and guinea were going to be handed over to someone else who was likely to be as ignorant and uneducated about rabbit care as the original owner. Now if the person does want to specifically adopt this rabbit then they will persue it, if they just fancied it at the time because he was free with his ridiculously small hutch then they won't and the rabbit has been saved from a repeat performance of neglect and incorrect care.

This is an example of a rescue taking charge of a situation and doing right by an animal so please don't knock it.

The woman managed to not do anything for the weeks that she knew she supposedly knew she had to rehome. The woman miraculously found a home with a friend, who only became available when I had already arranged a safe place for both the rabbit and the piggy. The friend's rabbit died of unknown causes and was kept alone. The rabbit and piggy were at risk in this home and the owner didn't understand why the way they were living was unacceptable so was not likely to know if her friend was a good home or not.

She didn't have to give me the rabbit but I gave her some sound advice about what would be best for the animals and she agreed that I should get the rabbit.

So are you saying that you would rather leave a terrified rabbit who had been kept in a tiny cage on an unsuitable diet, with no veterinary care or would you have found a space for it?

Extraordinary reaction from you - I don't go out to fill up my hutches with rabbits but when animals are clearly not cared for and are in my opinion at risk, then yes I would rather they came in, got neutered and vaccinated and then if the friend still wanted to have him, she could - but she would be given the correct care advice before she could.

You don't have to explain yourself Helen - you 100% did the right thing. x

The interesting thing is that the woman gave me all the stuff that she had for the animals and included were two good books. They are books that I might even recommend.

Inside one of the books was the receipt from the pet shop and a care sheet for rabbits.

So I called the pet shop to ask about them and chat about the trouble they had gone to with the care sheet (it is an independent local shop) and I know that the pet shop had given half decent advice about neutering and bunnies needing stimulating because they are intelligent animals etc. So despite the books and the info from the shop, the animals were still failed in their care. And I know for a fact that the rabbit and guinea pig were not bought together. It just seems that the whole purchase was not thought through at all. Possibly an impulse buy?

i still think its strange how do you know that the friend would keep it in same hutch they were not asked !
i would have said ok your friend wants him thats great ok thats fine but can i please meet her and talk to her and give her the support and advice she needs she can therefore adopt it though me that way he will be vet checked and neutered i may even be able to bond him with another so he has a friends
that way if she really wanted the rabbit she would take you up on the offer
then you could have talked to her if they were suitable she could have kept it under foster care at hers therfore you would have the space she gets the rabbit and then when the rabbit was ready she could adopt it and if it had one its friend !
but now the lady will say im sorry you cant have the rabbit because the rescue who took it said it wasnt a good solution but you can apply to adopt in the future now that could be making her think well why would i go there when they judged me and basically said im not good enough for my friends rabbit
but hey i really want a rabbit it will be quicker to go to pet shop :roll:

i just think it could have been done different and got a better result all round

Last edited:
The interesting thing is that the woman gave me all the stuff that she had for the animals and included were two good books. They are books that I might even recommend.

Inside one of the books was the receipt from the pet shop and a care sheet for rabbits.

So I called the pet shop to ask about them and chat about the trouble they had gone to with the care sheet (it is an independent local shop) and I know that the pet shop had given half decent advice about neutering and bunnies needing stimulating because they are intelligent animals etc. So despite the books and the info from the shop, the animals were still failed in their care. And I know for a fact that the rabbit and guinea pig were not bought together. It just seems that the whole purchase was not thought through at all. Possibly an impulse buy?

wow, that's awful :(
i was going to forgive her and try to blame it on ignorance, but if you have the books and the info right there, there is no excuse :(
reckon you are right, another impulse buy who suddenly isn't wanted after they stop being tiny and cute.

i still think its strange how do you know that the friend would keep it in same hutch they were not asked !
i would have said ok your friend wants him thats great ok thats fine but can i please meet her and talk to her and give her the support and advice she needs she can therefore adopt it though me that way he will be vet checked and neutered i may even be able to bond him with another so he has a friends
then you could have talked to her if they were sutable she could have kept it under foster care at hers therfore you would have the space she gets the rabbit and then when the rabbit was ready she could adopt it and if it had one its friend !
but now the lady will say im sorry you cant have the rabbit because the rescue who took it said it wasnt a good solution but you can apply to adopt in the future now that could be making her think well why would i go there when they judged me and basically said im not good enough for my friends rabbit

i just think it could have been done different and got a better result all round

Did you not read that the friend's previous rabbit had died of unknown causes and lived alone.

Back to the thread -

He is such a cutie Helen and I am sure he will find a pretty lady bun to call his own soon. x

i still think its crazy how do you know that the friend would keep it in same hutch they were not asked !
then you could have talked to her if they were sutable she could have kept it under foster care at hers therfore you would have the space she gets the rabbit and then when the rabbit was ready she could adopt it and if it had one its friend !

Totally disagree with you on all counts.

The welfare of this rabbit is paramount. Every rabbit deserves to have the best care and if the woman had thought that this friend (who appeared in the 20 minutes it took me to drive over there) would have made a good home, then why did she not arrange this before she begged me to help first thing in the morning.

Do you think it might have been something to do with me suggesting a donation would be gratefully received (which was not forthcoming btw)?

The woman hadn't even bothered to name the animals in the four months she'd owned them and she had no idea what the 'friends' knowledge was.

How could anyone have that on their heads? You could possibly, I could not.

I have a rabbit here who was free to a good home - she was passed through 3 families in the same street before she found her way here - FACT.

If someone doesn't have to make a commitment e.g pass a homecheck or at least pay for the animal or the equipment, they are far less likely to care if they get bored. FACT

And I should say that I have offered to help her friend rehome some bunnies if she really wants to do that, but what do you think the likelyhood would be that she wants to have to put any effort in? We don't know and if she does I will be delighted to help her and give her the benefit of my advice. At least I will be safe in the knowledge that the rabbits will be neutered, vaccinated and will have the right size accommodation and diet.

Last edited:
then you could have talked to her if they were suitable she could have kept it under foster care at hers therfore you would have the space she gets the rabbit and then when the rabbit was ready she could adopt it and if it had one its friend !

if you read through the posts, there are a lot of factors involved
and helen did say that if the friend wanted the bunny, to come and adopt him through her. properly.
i think most of us agree that this was the best outcome in this situation

Back