• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New addition to the family, bonding tips??

gareth_mattey

Warren Scout
Hi,

Well i got a rabbit called Bambi today from a rescue.

Hes a large rabbit, bigger than my female Bugsy.

At first they didnt really make much contact, then they started sniffing eachother and seemed to be getting on ok.

Now the male seems to jump on the female and things, not causing harm but wouldnt call it friendly and the female runs away.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips when they bonded there rabbits!

Thank you.

Chasing fur pulling and .. erm...humping are all part of the bonding process :wave:
One bun will try for 'top dog status' which is probably why Bugsy is running off from Bambi.
Keep a very close eye on them to make sure things dont turn aggressive
xxx
good luck
xxx

Is the space neutral where none of the buns have been before? All sounds pretty fine at the moment, there could be chasing circling fur pulling and mounting. this is all normal, its thier way of deciding whos boss! This could go on for a day or two :D Whats NOT normal is full on figting or boxing. If the mounting goes on for a while then just nudge them off for a short while. :)
There are loads of threads on bonding on here. have a look as there is lots of info and i am far from a expert......:wave:

Well it is Bugsy's territory, she might feel as if another rabbit is trying to take over.

Especially with the male looking to make his own mark and be boss by the looks of it.

Been keeping a close eye on them though.

I hope they become friends asi dont want Bugsy to be lonely.

Supposedly if they do not pay too much attention to each other it is a sign that bonding will go fairly smoothly. :wave:

Is the male neutered?

It was before when i introduced them but now they are in my room together which is Bugsy's territory i guess. They probably are just deciding whos boss.

The new bunny seems to have a thing for carpet and trying to eat it, where as Bugsy is tries eating wallpaper haha.

Well they both seem quite happy to leave eachother alone and just now and again the male will try to jump on her, not sure if hes trying to hump or what.

Yes the male is neutered, i made sure i got a neutered male as i didnt want anything going on even though she has been speyd.

Hi , in addition to any advice given on here, if you would like me to e-mail you some info about how I do bondings I am happy to do so. It's a 5 page word document so too long really to put on a post.

my e-mail is therabbitcrossing@yahoo.co.uk

Helen

I wouldn't mind that document also as I have been researching for weeks now and would like all the info I can get - will pop you an email if that's ok. :wave:

Back