• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Humping....

clarebear

Mama Doe
:oops:

Sorry but Bramble has started to hump his little stuffed bunny. Is it okay to let him carry on.....he seems to be enjoying it!

Lots of people have looked at this thread but no answers :( Any advice? Is it cruel to let him carry on?

Is he neutered?

As long as he isn't obsessive about it, it probably won't hurt. If he starts doing it very frequently though, it could mean that he's very hormonal and quite unhappy as a consequence.

Just be careful he doesnt get sore boy parts.

It is also a sign of sexual frustration is there a reason he isnt neutered?

I have been putting it off. Worry that it will change his personality :( I do feel that I should get it done now though, as he will be four next week.

How old is he now? In all honesty, I would consider getting him neutered in that case. :)

He will be much happier without his hormones troubling him and, the longer you let him carry on with the humping, the more likely it is to become a learned behaviour/habit as well (meaning if you got him neutered later on down the line, the humping might not necessarily stop then).

If he isn't neutered it might be time to consider it. :lol:
Especially if you want to get him a friend. I don't think the jumping is too harmful if it's only done once in a while though - it beats him humping a real rabbit after all though he might disagree with my saying that.

I have read that having a rabbit neutered has it's benefits even for males (although females get a higher benefit I still found this interesting):
While testosterone has its subjective benefits, it also has its risks: it suppresses the immune system, increases aggression, and generally shortens the lifespan of the individual producing it. For this reason alone, your male bunny may life a longer, more peaceful life if he is neutered.

More info here, it's what I am using for my Terry's pre-op from his neuter: http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/opcare.html

Also do not worry. I had this exact same worry yesterday but so far my boy has been the same softie as he always was. It's scary but remember we'll all be here to help. :wave:

How old is he now? In all honesty, I would consider getting him neutered in that case. :)

He will be much happier without his hormones troubling him and, the longer you let him carry on with the humping, the more likely it is to become a learned behaviour/habit as well (meaning if you got him neutered later on down the line, the humping might not necessarily stop then).

Agree with this. Any behaviour changes will be good ones. My mums unneutered boy bun used to spray her :shock:

I have been putting it off. Worry that it will change his personality :( I do feel that I should get it done now though, as he will be four next week.

I assumed he was much younger as the humping had just started. :oops:

Alfie is the only neutered boy I've ever had but I think neutering usually has positive effects on personality, not bad ones. :)

I assumed he was much younger as the humping had just started. :oops:
Alfie is the only neutered boy I've ever had but I think neutering usually has positive effects on personality, not bad ones. :)

Could be the time of year? Am I right in thinking you have had him about a year now??

Yes I think it's definately the time of year - he is always 'friskier' around spring time. We've had Bramble for two years now, he previously belonged to my OH' Brother.

I think the reason he has only just started 'humping' is because he didn't have anything to hump before! I brought him a little stuffed rabbit just before Christmas, and now we are seeing some 'action'!

I really think I should get him done now. Everything tells me it is the right thing to do, just worries me.

Yes I think it's definately the time of year - he is always 'friskier' around spring time. We've had Bramble for two years now, he previously belonged to my OH' Brother.

I think the reason he has only just started 'humping' is because he didn't have anything to hump before! I brought him a little stuffed rabbit just before Christmas, and now we are seeing some 'action'!

I really think I should get him done now. Everything tells me it is the right thing to do, just worries me.

crikey thats gone quick I remember you getting him :D

Yes get him done then you can get him a girlfriend :D

Back