• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm so glad I didn't research buns before I got them!

You are probably shocked by the title of this thread because something everyone should always do is research a pet before they get them but I'm really glad I didn't....

Because... if I knew that the 2 "free" bunnies I got from a friend needed to be neutered, spayed, vaccinated, need a million and one toys, dental treatment, a whole shed to live in, a large run, I wouldn't have even considered getting rabbits or "a rabbit" as I was meant to be getting but now I have 4 :lol:

When I got my 2, I thought they would be fine in their huge 4ft x 2ft x 2ft hutch, that was until they grew massive and I joined forums like this and Golden Bunnies. :oops: They didn't have a run when I first got them as I wasn't fully prepared and got them earlier than expected but when I got them their "huge run", so I thought :roll: 4ft x 3ft I thought they had loads of room. WRONG! :roll: :lol: They now have free run of a shed with another bunny friend and a 7ft run and are very happy bunnies. They are all either neutered or spayed, vaccinated against myxi and VHD and I think I am giving them the best life I possibly can. :love: I love them and wouldn't change them for the world so I am so glad I didn't research first or I wouldn't have found the love I have for these animals. I would do anything for them now, no doubt about it. :love:

Anyone else like this or am I the only one? :lol:

Last edited:
I knew nothing about bunnies until we looked after Bramble for OH's brother.....and ended up keeping him!

They now have free run of a shed with another friend

When I read this I thought you'd given them to a friend for a second :shock::lol:

I was the same,my buns were in a 4ft hutch and 4x3ft run too :oops: I fed them muesli,they were unspayed and unvaccinated :oops: I feel so bad that they were only looked after properly for the last few years of their lives :(
I also got them from a breeder- now I wouldn't consider that :oops:

When I read this I thought you'd given them to a friend for a second :shock::lol:

I was the same,my buns were in a 4ft hutch and 4x3ft run too :oops: I fed them muesli,they were unspayed and unvaccinated :oops: I feel so bad that they were only looked after properly for the last few years of their lives :(
I also got them from a breeder- now I wouldn't consider that :oops:

:lol: edited it :)

And aww I' sure your buns didn't mind as they had a brill life once you had researched! :D xx

I wish I'd known how much they break your heart :cry: But then again maybe I wouldn't have got them in that case.

i did my research, but really, i wish i had done more - a week / 2 weeks of research isn't enough.
technically snowball was one of those hated "impulse buys"

i fell in love with snowball the minute i saw him.
all of everything told me that i should wait and research more and have everything in place, but they had already kept him for a week (almost 2 by the time i brought him home) while i decided and they couldn't keep him for any longer.
i felt like i couldn't wait, because when he looked at me with his big eyes, i loved him. i visited him every single day and most evenings i wandered past pressing my face against the window to make sure he was ok

so yeah, i wish i had done more research because i didn't fully understand a lot of the things i do now, but if i had waited, i wouldn't have snowball and he is the second best thing that ever happened to me (after my son)

I did loads of research when I was younger before I got Lopsie when I was 11. I bought books (didn't have internet) and watched all the animal programmes. But he lived in a 4 - 5ft hutch, wasn't vaccinated and ate muesli. He was still a very happy bun who had free range in a huge garden every day and often all day. But I wish people knew more, especially the people who wrote those books. When I got Grim I had to learn pretty quickly as he has loads of health problems. At first I regretted getting him, but now I love him loads and wouldn't swap him for the world. I did on the job research as did my vet, which saved his life. I guess I had researched more.

I too, am sooo glad i didnt know anything about the "free to a good home " bunny! :lol:

I dont think i would have bothered. :oops:

ETA: Am soooo glad i did get him though.

:lol::lol: I kind of agree with you too. I was lucky in that I found RU not long after I got B and C and I wasnt doing anything too terrible the usual things of not enough hay using shavings etc etc but had I known about spaying and how delicate they are I would probably have got another cat instead

I agree with you too, I would've never been allowed to get any! I didn't plan on getting a rabbit but have always liked them and read up on their care as I'm interseted in most animals care, however I didn't read about spaying, vaccinating, space, company etc. Once I'd got her though I found websites with the proper care of rabbits and got her vaccinated, spayed etc. I didn't know what a huge commitment rabbits are though, I am so pleased I got Beano as I have now got Gordon too and would never go back, but if I knew the huge commitment and how much an important part of my life they are I think I would've waited till I was an adult to get rabbits. But now I have them I would never go back and do all the researching I can to make sure I'm giving them the best I possibly can :)

I researched a lot for my age- to prove to my parents I would be responsible (was 11 at the time) She was , spayed, vaccinated, had a 6ft x 4ft x 2ft run and always had access to hay. BUT, she was in a 4ft x 2ft hutch overnight, fed "deluxe" wilko muesli mix (for her first 3 years- a whole bowlful :shock: ) and bedded on shavings under her hay. She was 6 and a half when she passed away on my 18th birthday :cry:

I researched a lot for my age- to prove to my parents I would be responsible (was 11 at the time) She was , spayed, vaccinated, had a 6ft x 4ft x 2ft run and always had access to hay. BUT, she was in a 4ft x 2ft hutch overnight, fed "deluxe" wilko muesli mix (for her first 3 years- a whole bowlful :shock: ) and bedded on shavings under her hay. She was 6 and a half when she passed away on my 18th birthday :cry:

aww so sorry for your loss :cry: My buns used to be on wood shavings when they had a hutch :oops: It's only in their litter trays now though.

I too wanted to prove I was responsible but didn't research until after I got the buns :lol: worked though , they know have everything they should have :love:

I purchased a book!

I think just having them and seeing what makes them happy is educating as each bunny is different.

Plus things change a lot. I got Marmite (rip) nearly 9ish years ago and the amount of toys out there for buns has increased, there's more choice in food and tasty dried treats...perhaps the internet has helped lots too. :D

It does depend on the bunny and I think learning what is best for you bun can't always be taught from a book or webpage....don't get me wrong though it can be a good start. ;)

Last edited:
Back