• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Admit it/Confessions

When we first got them they were in a coop which was a 3x2ft bedroom bit over a 6x2 run but it was sheltered. That seemed pretty massive at the time because they were teeny and I'd always seen rabbits kept in 4ft hutches.

They soon got upgraded to a bigger coop type thing which was a 4x3 hutch over a 6x3 run and shortly after we added another 6x3 run to it.

Not long after that we moved house and acquired another bun so they got an 8x6 shed with an 8x8 run.

Would have saved a fortune to get the right thing in the first place!:lol:

One of the sanctuary buns arrived in a 80cm indoor cage, which I had to reuse once overnight due to an emergency case coming in.

I still keep it just in case...after all it's better to bring out in an emergency rather than a rabbit dying or being PTS

My bigger bun is still quite young, his cage is a home-made 2 tier cage. I cannot remember the dimensions but each floor is at least 4ft x 2ft. I know it is not super large but later a new cage will be done. He also gets a fair amount of out time too.

Once my bunnies are bonded they will be getting an upgrade to share. My girl is in a temporary animal pen, which is about a 3.5ft square (or something around that.) She is only a tad longer than my hand though she is quite a tiny bun still at ~8 weeks.

I don't think these are that bad? They're the first cages and I tend to upgrade cages often. My degus are on their 3rd cage in 2 years. Any suggestions on sizes for my final upgrade are welcome. I was thinking of a 3 tier cage with the length as 6ft as that room is just 6ft that they will eventually live in it cannot get any longer. So I was hoping 3 levels would compensate.

Last edited:
When we first got Lola we got her a 'big' dog crate - 3ft x 2.5ft. We were told this was big :( She was in this all day and only out at night for 4 hours :(

Once I found this site she moved to a 7ft x 5ft with Milo as a friend.

I once took in a Mummy and 7 babies all living in a parrot cage

This was Mum
Mummyandbabies030x3.jpg

And the babies
Mummyandbabies003x3.jpg

Needless to say they didn't in that and the cage went to the tip

My rabbit Rosie lived in 3.5ft her whole life. She didn't even really get out very often.

Rosie by Niseag, on Flickr

Islay and Jura lived in it, with the door open when I first got them as their base in the bathroom (before it warmed up enough for them to go outside).

Islay coming out of the cage by Niseag, on Flickr

I had two of those hutches, and my Dad being an idiot went and sold one to one of his friends, so now another bunny lives in one too small permanently. The other houses a piggy.

My first rabbit Widget had a 4x2 hutch :(
He did get the run of the garage during the day though.

I once took in a Mummy and 7 babies all living in a parrot cage

This was Mum
Mummyandbabies030x3.jpg

And the babies
Mummyandbabies003x3.jpg

Needless to say they didn't in that and the cage went to the tip

:shock::shock::shock: oh my goodness :shock::shock::shock:

When I was younger my rabbit had a 3ft/4ft hutch with an attached run that was about 4ft x 3ft :(

The smallest I've ever kept them in that I've been responsible for (excluding after spays/neuters as obviously that's for medical reasons) was when I first got Harvey. He had a 4ft x 2ft hutch but he was free range all day and only got put in on a night. Then we got Zero and he was in a 3ft x 3ft pen and they would alternate free range time. That was for about a month.

I don't know what size the hutch was for my first rabbit, probably about 4 ft, but she had a big run.

When Molly was an ickle baby he was in a 24 inch crate for the first couple of weeks. He was so tiny he could get through the gaps in the bars and wander my room.

a 3 or 4ft hutch outside.
it housed our rabbit and our guinea pig :shock:
we didn't know back then that they shouldn't live together or needed more space.
that was about 12 years ago

bella has always had this:

HPIM1536.jpg

but the run is only for when we are not there, when we are home she has the run of the place and just her cage.

jasper has this:

HPIM1533.jpg

which is basically the same as bella's cage but blue (he is a boy after all)

they've never had anything smaller and i hope these are alright :oops: x

Erm Dawn had a 3ft x 2ft cage but within a week I had managed to talk the OH at the time to let her free roam, needless to say she owned that bedroom :roll:

We keep babies and dwarfs in the 'poppy den' hutch's. I got three of them bought for me and that's all they're really good for. I'm giving them away this month as I have a new 6ft two tier hutch coming :shock: :D:D:D

I don't have the heart to keep bunnies in the quarantine cage in my spare room, I always let them out despite the fact the walls have ran out of wall paper and Molly and Chewit have chewed through the divan bed... :roll: :oops:

Last edited:
My first rabbit had a homemade mansion (but freeranged in the garden most of the time anyway). Our second rabbit had the one like happysaz133 had in her pics (green plastic) but again free ranged in the garden.

Lucky had a 3ft cage when he came to us (as a house bunny) but was only locked in at night - he was incredibly unhappy before we put him into the outhouse and took the door off.

I found my first rabbit running loose on the street.

The first night I had her, I kept her in my garage in a box :shock: But I didnt have much choice, it was either that or leave her out on the street to get run over or eaten, or take her to my local rspca (I didnt drive at this point) where I know they treat the rabbits quite badly, since I used to work there.

The next night, she was in about a 2.5 foot cage that I managed to borrow from a friend, and I gave her free range time for as long as possible during the day.

I then bought her a larger indoor cage from PAH until we got the shed and run built.

I had 3 buns in a 4ft cage once :D

it was only for a day while their shed was built and they did have a run attached

My first 2 buns - Misty & Ebony - had a 2 tier 4ft hutch on grass, under shelter. Ebony was a Nethie cross and Misty was a dwarf lop :shock:
In summer they did have a 6ft run attached to the hutch too. But still feel guilty thinking about how they lived. :(

Erm Dawn had a 3ft x 2ft cage but within a week I had managed to talk the OH at the time to let her free roam, needless to say she owned that bedroom :roll:

We keep babies and dwarfs in the 'poppy den' hutch's. I got three of them bought for me and that's all they're really good for. I'm giving them away this month as I have a new 6ft two tier hutch coming :shock: :D:D:D

I don't have the heart to keep bunnies in the quarantine cage in my spare room, I always let them out despite the fact the walls have ran out of wall paper and Molly and Chewit have chewed through the divan bed... :roll: :oops:

Poppy Den is only 4ft x 2ft too small for dwarves (I know you already know that though since you're replacing them :)), good for guinea pigs though ;)

Back