• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

doe or buck for indoor bun?

lucy24

Mama Doe
hi. am thinking of getting a house bun but wasn't sure whether to get a doe or buck. wanted to get a boy but not sure if he will spray more? do boys spray alot even if they're neutered? anyway, would appreciate some advice :D

Both :wave:

I know some people do have single housebuns for various reasons and if there is someone at home all day then it's not so bad, but bunnies really do, do best with a husbun or wifeybun.

If you can only have one though then check around the rescues for a bun that may have a history of not getting on with other buns for example and who is best on their own ;)

Why not choose an adult with a good personality from a rescue, who is likely to come spayed/neutered anyway.

i have both a male and female house buns and though they aren't housed together (bella is cage aggressive... what can i say she likes her stuff not to be touched and who can blame her ;) ) they do love being out together. that said, while we are at wok they are kept seperate so as long as you are willing to put in the time when you are there one house bun should be ok. as people have said one from a rescue that is to only be a single bun would be the best way to go.

as for whether a girl or boy, i think personality is better to look for. i always wanted a girl bun and luckily i found bella who was perfect for me. then i met japer and though i wasnt too keen on getting a boy (the spraying issue) his cute personality won me over. (that and the fact he was covered in hay, the little nutter :roll:)

that little ramble of mine probably hasnt really helped you much :oops:

but there ya have it :lol:

xx

i have had both......single doe..then single buck...then single buck...then rescue doe to bond with him. then our little buck died...and we ended up with another buck for her to bond with. then a young doe and a rescue buck to make a foursome.

basically ive had experience with both......and i had 3 bucks not neutered that i had neutered...all bucks and does were done.
bertie doesnt spray..but when hes feeling threatened or is angry..or doesnt like visitors....he will pee all over it..or where the item or person was:oops:

luckily we have never had a spraying bunny......of either sex!

I would say so long as they are neutered there isn't much difference. It is really hard to tell a final personallity from what they are like as babies. The buck I know that sprays the most is really quiet and submissive so I dont think it coralates with aggresion. Toby never sprayed yet he growls alot and marks everything. I didn't even know does sprayed? I've never seen Lilou or Kira spray, or any of the foster does I've had.
I would say get a rescue bun! :D:wave:

at the moment im still doing a bit more research into getting another bun but when i do get one i have an open mind as to where to get one from. Im not ruling out a rescue :D i keep looking at the buns for rehoming on this site and just want to have them all! lol obviously thats not possible :(

i think that looking at the personality gives you more indication rather than looking at the sex.

sometimes, when you see your bun, you just KNOW, that they belong with you :) i'd go looking for personality rather than sex :)

Either, providing they are neutered. :) I do find my girls are a bit more territorial than their male counterparts but not much.

Back