• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A cone - is it needed?

Emmz

Alpha Buck
Hey all :wave:

I just got my Terry back from the vets. He seems fine - minus having a collar (plastic lampshade style.) I don't get how he can possibly eat with it? All the stuff I read online before hand suggested for rabbits it is not necessary.

Should I take it off? Or should I leave it for a week as instructed? It doesn't seem like a good idea to me and I am concerned so wanted to ask for someone's advice. They are otherwise a good vet and he seems to have taken the surgery well but this one thing I am unsure of. :?

Rabbits tend to not be given cones as they need to get to their bottoms to eat the ceceo (sp)

Its so he doesnt lick his wound.

George was a nightmare without the cone of shame.
First he had it glued which he unglued then stitched which he unstitched so they then had to glue it, staple it and he had to have the cone :(

If you can fully supervise him and make sure he doesnt lick his wound you can let him have some time without the collar. But if he shows signs of licking it then he will need to keep it on when your not around.

George's collar got in a right state where he tried to get his 'special poos' :oops: and i had to clean it every morning but i let him have it off while i was around to supervise him.

I am quite tempted to take it off it just seems to be causing him stress in my opinion. :(

I wasn't given one for my bunnies, I was just told to watch them to make sure they aren't chewing or licking too much. I'd say take off the cone, and if you are worried I've seen people make little knitted sweater so they can still eat, but the stitches, or glue whatever your vet uses, are covered.

With foster bunnies I leave it on overnight and when I can't watch them as i have seen what can happen if they lick or pull stitches out and it is 100 times worse than them having the collar on.

I cut mine smaller so they can still eat and drink just not get at the wound and it is taken off whenever I am around. I know alot of people won't agree with them but I nearly always use one.

The collar was really tight, so I took it off. It was quite stressful getting it off it was fastened in 6 locations all very close to his neck. He hasn't moved since he got back really after I took the cone off (before I could hear him thrashing his head about a bit as he was trying to get it off and causing a fair bit of noise.)

He hasn't eaten yet but it's only been a few hours. I am going to be checking on him every 2 hours (is this enough? I also mean over night so I'll be sleeping downstairs so the boyfriend can sleep for work) and if he doesn't eat by tomorrow I will start trying stuff like herbs and other yummys. I think he still needs to recover from the stress tonight been trying to leave him alone for now as all he has done is push his fluffy bed out and sat behind it.

Also, he sits with his bottom up in the air. I take it this is just due to discomfort?

@maddy: I have a friend who knits so if I need one in an emergency she owes me a favour anyway and I'll get one made - thanks. :)

What has he had done at the vets?. I wouldnt ever use a cone for a rabbit (just my opinion of course). Has he been in for a neuter? (sorry if i have missed any of your previous posts)

Yeah he was neutered. I haven't mentioned it in this thread only in a couple of others. This forum moves quite fast so was probably easily missed. :wave:

Sorry for the double post but was really wondering if anyone could shed some light in the "sitting with his bottom raised in the air" behaviour? I mean I assume it's just discomfort?

Yeah he was neutered. I haven't mentioned it in this thread only in a couple of others. This forum moves quite fast so was probably easily missed. :wave:

Sorry hun:oops:. I think you have done the right thing in taking his cone off, i hate them (although sometimes they are needed). Sending non picking vibes for your boy and his stitches. x

It is good to have some reassurance, so thank you. Still quite new to the bunny world and so I worry everything I do is wrong.

Last edited:
I don't use them for cats or buns as a general rule, although had to when Tigger (cat) had an abscess as he just wouldn't leave it alone.

I find they stress the animals out too much and have never needed one following neutering but have just kept an eye on them. I have been lucky and have never had a problem.

Thanks for the reply, Rhianna. I appreciate more people sharing their experiences with/without cones.

I am pleased to say Terry has used his litter tray since he came home (1 "soft" poo!) and when I poked a piece of hay through the mesh he did take it off me and ate most of it. Oh seeing his cute little self hop up to greet me made me cry I was so happy :love: (I do get a bit over emotional I think)

I don't think he has eaten any feed from his bowl (as the floor is too tidy) but I am so happy to see him take something off me.

Thanks all for replying to me. I am next checking on him at midnight. :wave:

I didnt use a cone with any of my boys but Daisy had a cone due to her pulling out her stitches and getting infected and having to be re-operated on.Dont let him lie on hay as it can irritate the wound.Hopefully the vet has given him some long lasting analgesia.At least he is starting to eat and is pooing ok :thumb:

Back