• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help Pregnant Bun.

Ive just been out to the hutch and found a lovely lil ple of bunny fluff. Im guessing she is pregnant.

I have a couple of Q's...When do they tend to start pulling fluff and nesting in the gestation period? Ie. is she due very soon?

Do I need to bring Mum inside?... Im rather worried about the babies being born out in the cold...We still get odd frosts in Feb.

Obviously the hutch has plenty of straw and bedding anyway, so shud I just keep checking the bedding area? Maybe add more straw and some hay so she can use it if she wants to?
She is eating and drinking plenty and seems perfectly healthy and happy...She was never the most touchy feely bun, so nothing has changed there. And how soon can she be neutered after giving birth?

Any other pregnancy advice gratefully recieved.

Hi. No personal experience but I'm sure others will post soon. In the meantime, if you do a search on RU there have been quite a few threads about baby buns/new mums etc which might help :)

If the hutch is sheltered and has alot of bedding then it should be ok, but if it were me I'd want to bring mum2b indoors and put her somewhere quiet.

Is dad in with her? If so I would separate her from any males she's in with as she can get pregnant inmmediately after giving birth :shock:

Merliah has come inside

I was so worried about Merliah "kindling" outside that I have bought her in, that way there is no risk of the babies getting too cold and dying of exposure. I'de hate for any to die due to my lack of proper care.

I'm more nervous than mummy-to-be is...:p She is happy munching the straw:lol::lol::lol:...actually it comes to mind that she has totally gone off of the hay she normally scoffs.

I have used a large shoe box for her and have put her nest into the box. She has climbed in and out and is now curled up next to it so I think she has accepted it happily enough.(My childhood rabbits never had a nesting box, it was all left to mama bunnie...So a nesting box was a new idea to me.)This has all come along so unexpectedly, kinda caught me on the 'hop'...So to speak:lol::lol::lol:

Looking foward to having darling bunnie babies...
Any advice still gratefully recieved
Bunnie hugs and kisses
VEE

Last edited:
Rabbit Pregnant

Hi,

My mother bunny gave birth outside 5months ago, and Lucky (baby) is doing extremely well. I never brought them inside at all. I just made sure that there was always plenty of straw and hay, and lots of food available.

You do know that you cant touch the babies for at least 4weeks after birth as this can cause rejection from mum or she may even kill them.

When I first touched my baby bunny I washed my hands, then rubbed them in the straw surrounding the baby and gave a little stroke, never removing the baby from the nest.

I only held the new baby bunny once it was hopping around the hutch.

Good Luck with the birth.

Regards Melanie.:D

A neighbours of mine had both her does give birth on the coldest night of the year (6th Dec) and was really worried about the babies surviving but her other haldf wouldn't let her have them inside. She just packed the sleeping area with the biggest pile of straw and hay I have ever seen (!) and all the babies were completely fine. She did have a hutch hugger but they don't do a lot for warmth. It probably helped though that there were 9 babies to snuggle up to each other and 2 really good mothers!

Definatley separate the buck if you havent already and keep him away.

She handled the babies after 2 weeks to check them but rubbed straw on her hands beforehand so it was fine. She didnt use a nestbox either.

I'm sorry but it's complete rubbish that a rabbit will reject her babies if you handle them! Rabbits are not like dogs just give mum a stroke first if you are worried then go into the nest. If your rabbit isn't very friendly a bit of veg will distract her. This needs to be done to check there are no dead babies in the nest.

We usually handle our babies every day from being born. Let's you see that they are healthy and getting fed. It also gets them used to being handled from a young age.

I take it you moved all the fur she had pulled inside with her? Usually they pull fur right before having a litter

Once she has had the babies and you know they are ok up her feed intake as she will need extra to cope with the feeding.

I have Netherlands and for them with a litter of 4 say they get a full bowl of food a day as well as unlimited hay and water,grass and some veg.

I always keep spare veg usually their favourite on hand as sometimes they can go off their feed a bit before and after kindling.

If you notice her having to many cecals then cut the food down a bit. Having the litter isn't the stress but raising them can take a lot out of a doe.

Have you had any signs yet?

Back