• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Penelope is bored, so trying to make life more interesting for her

Candiflare

Mama Doe
Penelope is a french lop and for some reason seems cleverer/needs more stimulation than the other buns. I don't know if it's her size or her breed or what it is, but she needs constant attention and stimulation.

She freeranges most of the day and if she's not freeranging she's loose in a shed containing a three story hutch, all compartments 6ftx2ftx2ft.

I think because I try to be a "responsible" bunny mummy I notice the slightest signs that she is bored or unstimulated. She has toys, but she demolishes them in an instant, and like I said with the teach n' treat, which I thought would keep her occupied, she just tipped it upside down, emptied the treats out and gobbled them off the floor. Game over!

Soon I'll be working from my own office which is a large barn near my house and I'm already constructing a pen for the buns to be in while I'm working which is much bigger than the shed. It also means I can be with them all day, which I think really helps their stimulation.

I've got her at work with me today, running round the office. I don't want to separate her from the group, but I just don't want her to be bored at home.

Anybody got any tips for the interim?

Didn't want to read and run, but that sounds quite tricky. :? She doesn't get stimulation from the other buns then? I know my Spenser gets bored, but have always assumed that's becuase he's on his own - something I hope to change eventually.

My Max is like this, NOTHING keeps him entertained for more than a few minutes. We're moving house in a few weeks, Im hoping that will keep him occupied for a few hours :roll::lol:

Not sure taking her out of the group is a good move. Hope it goes okay when you put her back in. She might just be acting differently when you are around and then happy with the group at all times. The moment my french lop sees me, they connect me with food so follow me around.

I have only had rabbits for ten months so I am sure there will be many better ideas than mine! As the grass starts growing you could plant some grass seed in seed trays - I have about six to allow them to grow after they have been eaten - and give her a tray at a time to munch.

I also give them their greens and pellets in a box of hay so that they have to dig and search for them. I tear up or chop up the veg into small bits to make it last longer. The other thing I have that makes feeding time last much longer is this

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/accessories/feeder_water_bottles/bowls/204597

It is expensive but great watching them working the sliding bits and turning the top to get into the food.

Hope you manage to find ways to keep her entertained!

Not sure taking her out of the group is a good move. Hope it goes okay when you put her back in. She might just be acting differently when you are around and then happy with the group at all times. The moment my french lop sees me, they connect me with food so follow me around.

You could be right about that actually. All seems peaceful and as soon as I arrive, chaos erupts. She is the biggest chaos maker too. One thing she does is tear newspaper into tiny little pieces, which I take as a sign of boredom, and she digs the hard floor a lot as if she wants to get out of the shed. With the newspaper, she will just rip and rip and rip until it's no longer lining the shed or hutch floors, just straggling around.

In my experience with Darcy, frenchies do connect more strongly with their human. They do bond with other buns too tho. How old is Penelope? Frenchies are also quite lazy so even from 1 year plus they start snoozing a lot more which might help.

Darcy is a bulldozer when it comes to food too - if he wants a fuss or treats he won't wait for me to notice he will just jump up on me on the sofa N.O.W.!!:love:

Darcy loves this https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Tun...en.414.html?osCsid=kevrc6cf4a8ik6qtuq061295c1

Oooh!! I know! You can buy LARGER treat balls, for dogs and horses, they are a lot more sturdy? And a lot of dog toys might be appropriate for her as she is larger isnt she? A cardboard box stuffed with hay and a few treats with no way in except destroying the box? ;)

In my experience with Darcy, frenchies do connect more strongly with their human. They do bond with other buns too tho. How old is Penelope? Frenchies are also quite lazy so even from 1 year plus they start snoozing a lot more which might help.

Darcy is a bulldozer when it comes to food too - if he wants a fuss or treats he won't wait for me to notice he will just jump up on me on the sofa N.O.W.!!:love:

Darcy loves this https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Tun...en.414.html?osCsid=kevrc6cf4a8ik6qtuq061295c1

Penelope's exactly the same. As Di (Mrs Bunnykins on here) said, she would be the rabbit winner of the apprentice because she has that bulldozing attitude. If she's in the living room and OH and I sit down for dinner, she will jump on the plate and just look at me. "Where's mine then?" :lol::lol::lol:

You could be right about that actually. All seems peaceful and as soon as I arrive, chaos erupts. She is the biggest chaos maker too. One thing she does is tear newspaper into tiny little pieces, which I take as a sign of boredom, and she digs the hard floor a lot as if she wants to get out of the shed. With the newspaper, she will just rip and rip and rip until it's no longer lining the shed or hutch floors, just straggling around.

Actually, my bun Tessy does this. She is alone now sadly, but is quite aggressive to other buns (her hutch mates were her mum and her mums bestest mate.... she knew them both since she was born) and I am not allowed to get her a friend because shes 8 (well, while she lives at mums anyway!). Tessy was recently given a much bigger set up and loads of new toys but her FAVE toy does seem to be the newspaper :roll: but she does like it when we put a box with treats in though ;)

You can buy new boxes, and choose the perfect size, on ebay, quite cheaply. Tessy isnt huge, but I use 5' x 5' x 5' boxes for her :D

Penelope's exactly the same. As Di (Mrs Bunnykins on here) said, she would be the rabbit winner of the apprentice because she has that bulldozing attitude. If she's in the living room and OH and I sit down for dinner, she will jump on the plate and just look at me. "Where's mine then?" :lol::lol::lol:

Thats Rimmi that is!! Except he has a small body..... I remember he ACTUALLY jumped into the bfs dinner once, the bf was not best mates with him that day :oops::lol:

That's great! Does your frenchie darcy fit through the holes?!

Oooh!! I know! You can buy LARGER treat balls, for dogs and horses, they are a lot more sturdy? And a lot of dog toys might be appropriate for her as she is larger isnt she? A cardboard box stuffed with hay and a few treats with no way in except destroying the box? ;)

that's such a great idea!! I will try that too. Preferably something she can't stamp on/bulldoze down/she finds hard to lift would work!!!

That's great! Does your frenchie darcy fit through the holes?!

Yes he does and if it doesn't he chomps it until it does - I call it his rabbit renovations...:lol::love: It keeps them entertained for ages and its a nice little dark hiding place for snoozes too.

Darcy jumps on me when I have dinner too - or I get the *Stare*. Funny thing is now his girlybun Beatrix (med lop) is now taking on his habbits and doing the same thing! I know my place in the bunny order....slave!

that's such a great idea!! I will try that too. Preferably something she can't stamp on/bulldoze down/she finds hard to lift would work!!!

Poor Penelope, the words delicate, sensitive, shy, definately do NOT seem to apply to her. Perhaps she is what I get called sometimes..............manoman. Pronounced manoooooman. 1/2 man, 1/2 woman!!!!!!! Only close friends call me this, well dare to call me this !!!!!!!!!!!!!
She is just a strong determined bun. Such a character. :lol:

I use the dog size treat balls are a good idea. I use them for Ambrose and Estelle. Food gets mixed into their hay in the litter tray. I change their toys every couple of days. Tubes and pipes are moved around the garden. Old plastic chairs are upturned and used as hidey holes. They love having new things to chin and make their own. Could you change the setup/ toys/ etc, once in a while to increase her mental stimulation and keep her occupied? Is ripping up paper a sign of boredom or is it having fun thus stopping boredom?
If you use litter trays, how about using different shapes/ sizes. I sometimes use plastic dog beds. How about using a large dog bed as a base, and then putting a smaller one upturned inside. Pop hay, treats etc inside the smaller one. Have you tried putting a radio on nearby to see if that calms her?

I am sure she is a very happy bunny when in the group, but is demanding where humans are concerned.

Please give them all a big hug from me. :love::love:

Back