• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Myxi booster whilst on Abx / just after Abx

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
NOTE:I am already planning to ask my vet when Ginger goes in for her checkup on Friday

Ginger's having her last dose of depocillin on Friday. She's into the vets at 5:20pm on Friday for a checkup with her vet.

Her Myxi booster is due on the 17th february, would a vet normally just wait and see how she is as to whether or not she's healthy enough to have the booster now?

I'm just worried, as i've seen quite a few wildies round here lately, none with infection signs that i can tell, but i worry all the same.

I guess im asking, if i need to continue the Abx or move onto Zithromax (which is the next plan if we arent happy with her progress) will they give her the jab, or wait until after the course of Abx, and if so, does that leave her heavily vulnerable?

I know the vaccine wont just 'stop working' on that date, but how much of its effectiveness is lost if not boostered?

Sorry, im rambling :?

Ta.

ETA: sorry, this was meant to be in health. I'm sure i'd changed area... :roll:

Last edited:
I've had it done in mine when they are on antibiotics for mild issues, but not for anything as battering on the system as pastuerella. The vaccination will batter the immune system itself, which is already being battered by the pastuerella, although less so as she is getting better.

I'm not sure my vet would vaccinate, to be honest, even if he did, I'm not sure I would let him because I would worry that it would induce more issues than it might solve (Badger doesn't get vaccinated for this very reason- Wish doesn't get vaccinated because she is Wish).

Apparently the time the vaccination provides most immunity is within the first 4 months afer having it. That's from memory of what has been said on here though.

i guessed that would be the general thought and it was mine also, i just wondered what other peoples experiences/thoughts were :wave:

Thanks Sky.

There is no way my vet would vaccinate, as sky-o already said the immune system would be very week already. As horrible as it sounds a bunny with such a weak immune system would struggle with myxi even if vaccinated so personally I don't think I'd risk compromising it any more.

Okay, that said, how long would you wait once bunny was 'in recovery' until giving the myxi booster?

I'd be thinking off the antibiotics and a good couple of months to ensure the immune system is able to cope without them and that she doesn't relapse. It might be she is never vaccinatable.

I don't really know, prob about 2 weeks to a month depending on both the severity and the risk involved, ie if there was a myxi prob in the area. I'm going to talk to my vet about it aswell as Bluebell is due soon and there is no way he could have it now but I'm not sure he'll ever get back to full health. Its a really tricky one.

I'd be thinking off the antibiotics and a good couple of months to ensure the immune system is able to cope without them and that she doesn't relapse. It might be she is never vaccinatable.

Okay, cool cool.

I'll discuss with vet on Friday also :wave:

Thanks for helps guys and gals.

That sounds much better than my answer. :lol::lol: Did I mention I don't really have a clue.

That sounds much better than my answer. :lol::lol: Did I mention I don't really have a clue.

:lol: Me neither, I'm just going by what I would likely do in Gray's situation if Ginger was my rabbit.

With Badger we felt the risk of a vaccination outweighed the risk of Myxo and if he got myxo we would let him go.

With Badger we felt the risk of a vaccination outweighed the risk of Myxo and if he got myxo we would let him go.

This is where I think we are going to have to go with Bluebell. He's still not really improving as much as I'd like and I can't really see him getting back to full health.

I was kinda hoping someone would mention about not vaccinating her.

I've had this in the back of my mind since she was diagnosed :/

In all honesty, im not sure she'd handle a vaccination ontop of what she's had recently. Knowing how much it knocks her physically (viewable), i dread to think what it must feel like to her, both physically and mentally (?)

If you don't think its best to get her vaccinated 'right now' then that's ok. Remember each different moment is another 'right now'. If you chooe that, you can change your decision at any time. But if you vaccinate her then you run the risk of not being able to change your mind and then having to ride out the consequences.

If you don't think its best to get her vaccinated 'right now' then that's ok. Remember each different moment is another 'right now'. If you chooe that, you can change your decision at any time. But if you vaccinate her then you run the risk of not being able to change your mind and then having to ride out the consequences.

I feel so confuddled. What you've said there makes perfect sense to me, but i have this niggle in the back of my head.

If i DO vaccinate her, and it does more harm than good, i could never live with myself.

If i DONT vaccinate her, and she somehow was infected by myxi, i'll feel sick to of thought would it have worked?

I guess being able to change my mind in the future and having the opportunity to vaccinate her another day is definately the better option.

I've never thought i'd have to face this. I guess for the best, its hold out on the vaccine for a while and pray for the best.

There are no active myxi warnings around here from what i can find so i guess that kind of answers my own question?

If you don't vaccinate her and she contracts it, would you try and nurse her through it?

What do you genuinely think is best for her?

If you don't vaccinate her and she contracts it, would you try and nurse her through it?

What do you genuinely think is best for her?

If she wanted to fight (i think i know Ginger well enough now to tell that?) i'd fight it with her. I've promised that to her from the start that she'd have whatever she needed, until she told me enough was enough.

My heart is telling me to leave her unvaccinated to fight with what she has for now, whilst running a 'chance' as thats all it is. My head is telling me to vaccinate, because its been drilled into me (not necessarily by any single particular source) that i should.

Knowing she's 'not well' at the moment, although much better than before (on the outside, from what i can 'see') makes me want to see if we can beat what she has and then consider it at a later date i think.

It sounds like constantly reassessing the situation is the way forwards for you then.

This is what we're doing with Wish and her spay. It just means you're keeping an open mind about what is best at any given time. That's all you can do.

I said to someone else recently is that owning rabbits is about knowing the rules, and then understanding when to break them.

Last edited:
It sounds like constantly reassessing the situation is the way forwards for you then.

I just needed someone to help me choose. Having this little life in my hands is so difficult.

Thank you.

I've decided that i'll ask not to vaccinate her for now and to re-asses as we go.

I have a sneaking suspicion that once we're off the abx, that its all going to go horribly wrong again.

ETA: i really like your rule breaking analagy.

Back