• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

changing pellets question

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
I am in the process of changing Spenser to SS, but he seems to like the new pellets much more than the old. This morning he picked out the two SS pellets then attempted to tip the Excel into his water dish. I've temporarily removed the water in the hope he will eat his breakfast. I'd planned a very slow changeover, and rather annoyingly have a full bag of Excel waiting in the wings. Any ideas about how slow such a change to diet should be introduced if the bun is indicating a clear preference for the new food?

Ginger did this when we got her. She was apparently on the SS Junior at the Rescue and Kris gave me a bag of changeover food.

We got her home and i noticed she was barely touching it and would very much ignore it.

I started addnig 5 or so 'Adult' pellets and they'd always go immediately, so i just slowly, over the space of a week phased out the smaller ones, which she did eat a few of, after the adult ones.

It's meant to be ~2 weeks, but i didnt get a choice in the matter as she wouldnt of eaten anything otherwise!

Ginger is however a hay monster, so that never bothered me quite so much.

Ginger did this when we got her. She was apparently on the SS Junior at the Rescue and Kris gave me a bag of changeover food.

We got her home and i noticed she was barely touching it and would very much ignore it.

I started addnig 5 or so 'Adult' pellets and they'd always go immediately, so i just slowly, over the space of a week phased out the smaller ones, which she did eat a few of, after the adult ones.

It's meant to be ~2 weeks, but i didnt get a choice in the matter as she wouldnt of eaten anything otherwise!

Ginger is however a hay monster, so that never bothered me quite so much.

Thankd for reply - the hay eating is a big difference. Spenser is better in the respect, but has a long way to go. If I am ever in a position to get him a wife I will definitely advertise for a hay monster!

Thankd for reply - the hay eating is a big difference. Spenser is better in the respect, but has a long way to go. If I am ever in a position to get him a wife I will definitely advertise for a hay monster!

I think its a strong possibility that Spensers hay eating could change with a partner.

I think i've mentioned before, that although Biscuit ate hay, he wasn't great at it.

When Ginger arrived, after the bond, Biscuit became a hay monster also. Still not as much as Ginger, but still, he eats way over his body size per day, possibly 4 or more times so :shock:

Hope any responses can help Susie :wave:

Thankss again, yes - I remembered you mentioning the change in Biscuit's hay-eating after Ginger's arrival, and have heard of this happening in other cases. Spenser will be neutered when its warmer, but another bun really isn't an option until I can push through plans for and extension of his hutch.

I would still keep offering him the two kinds - gradually increasing the SS as you decrease the Excel. If he doesn't eat the Excel then I would remove that at the next feeding time & offer another 'mixed batch'.

Assuming the food isn't wet, he may well go back to finish it off later. Could you put his food bowl in a completely different place to his water while you're switching over?

I would still keep offering him the two kinds - gradually increasing the SS as you decrease the Excel. If he doesn't eat the Excel then I would remove that at the next feeding time & offer another 'mixed batch'.

Assuming the food isn't wet, he may well go back to finish it off later. Could you put his food bowl in a completely different place to his water while you're switching over?

I could put one of the bowl downstairs/upstairs. The water bowl would cause more damage if he tipped it up downstairs, as the lower run is totally lined with straw and hay for his amusement... on the otherhand he would probably sulk rather than go downstairs oif I moved his pellets. :roll:

TBH whilst a gradual change is always best and to be encouraged wherever possible - rescues often have no idea what buns have been eating when they take them in and so don't get the opportunity to do this. If Spenser is nomming the SS pellets and everything is coming out ok the other end I wouldn't worry too much :wave:

TBH whilst a gradual change is always best and to be encouraged wherever possible - rescues often have no idea what buns have been eating when they take them in and so don't get the opportunity to do this. If Spenser is nomming the SS pellets and everything is coming out ok the other end I wouldn't worry too much :wave:

:thumb:

Back