• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Parsley still very unwell - not eating

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
Following all his meds for his ear and his flush and sedation (see other thread) Parsley is still not eating. He has been to the vets for the whole day and had syringe feds and sub cuts and metaclop and B12 and Questran . . . and I have given metacam - but still not eating or moving.

About an hour ago we did have some small black non-mucusy poos . . about a dozen or so - so his guts must still be working to some extent (given the syringe feeds and metaclop hard not to!!) but he is just laying still in one place the hospital cage we have set up - every now and again I think he eats some caecal pellets . . but thats all.

I think he is in pain from something but we cannot tell if its his stomach hurting because of the abx and stassis, or his head/ear hurting (which has never hurt him before despite the enormous abscess - but maybe the flushing has made it hurt???).

he does not tooth grind - but then he never does. We cannot give Bup as he had it for the ear flush on Friday and it takes him days to recover so will stop his guts totally . . .

I wish I had asked the vet for ketamin (which we have used on him before) before they closed . . . but at that stage he had been in the vets all day and they thought it was a gut reaction to the abx whereas I think its pain somewhere now I have seen him for a couple f hours.

We are so worried - Steve is driving back from Swindon where he was meant to be working tomorow . .

(emergency vet is xxxxx and will not give any meds even if I take him they will just say he has had everything he can and will not give ketamine . .)

I just don't know what to do . . . (no real point to thread - just full of worry and angst).

He is on a heat mat under a heat lamp and will get more fluids etc soon . . . so better here than at an empty vets.

Last edited:
I didn't see this thread but just bumped your other. I would imagine that flushing the abscess probably has made it hurt which was something I hadn't even thought about.

I have no advice but I've been thinking of you guys loads and am really rooting for Parsley. I so hope he can turn this around; he's certainly getting all the care he needs to enable him to do that.

Will be thinking of you and Steve tonight and hope you start seeing some glimpses of light at the end of that dark tunnell. You are doing everything possible you can to help Parsley.

I really hope that Parsley is doing better this morning.

I had not realised that he had his ear canals flushed yesterday. That may well be the cause of his pain.

Have the abx been stopped now ?

So sorry to hear Parsley is so poorly.
I am hoping that this morning will bring encouraging news ... and that Parsley is feeling more comfortable.....
You will both be in my thoughts xx

How are things this morning? I'm just going to go and see if his other thread has been updated, so if it has, ignore this.

Back