• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New to Bunnies - Housing Help

krissie1234uk

Young Bun
:wave: This is my first post here so forgive my lack of knowledge!
I'm planning on becoming a first time rabbit owner, and I'm currently looking to buy any future bunnies a home.

I'm bidding on a potential house at the moment, and I wanted to run it by some experienced rabbit owners for suitability?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280625089537&category=63513&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619#ht_542wt_1139

Would this be suitable? There is some damage but I'm perfectly willing to fix it up and make any improvements needed.

If not, could anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks, is it the size of the indoor or outdoor space that would be the issue with the "chicken coop"?
If it's the outdoor space, would extending the run make this more suitable or am I just better off with a hutch and run?

Those hutches generally aren't suitable. The run isn't big enough and the hutch isn't big enough either. Go for a seperate hutch and run and your buns will be much happier. 6ft x 2ft x 2ft for the hutch and 6ft x 6ft for the run

I cant work out the dimensions of the 'nest box' of the product but it seems a bit too small.
This should help a bit :)
The RWAF recommends a minimum hutch size of 6' x 2' x 2', which allows rabbits some room to move, stand on their hind legs and enough space for the food, toilet and sleeping areas to be kept apart. It is commonly accepted that a rabbit should have space for 3 hops, but it is commonly underestimated just how far 3 hops is - our tests show that 3 hops from an average sized rabbit covers 6-7 feet!

A hutch should only be a shelter and not the only living space. It should be attached to a secure run of at least 8' x 4'.

from here: http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/ahutchisnotenough.htm

As you are new to this, have you considered house rabbits? A lot of people dont realise you can have them inside, like a dog or cat, and that they can have free-run of the house or a room.

Ok, that's great advice thank you. I think I'll keep looking. :D

It's slightly worrying that as a newbie I thought that this was more than big enough, when in fact it isn't. God help the poor bunnies who go to homes where the owners don't do research! :shock:

I cant work out the dimensions of the 'nest box' of the product but it seems a bit too small.
This should help a bit :)
The RWAF recommends a minimum hutch size of 6' x 2' x 2', which allows rabbits some room to move, stand on their hind legs and enough space for the food, toilet and sleeping areas to be kept apart. It is commonly accepted that a rabbit should have space for 3 hops, but it is commonly underestimated just how far 3 hops is - our tests show that 3 hops from an average sized rabbit covers 6-7 feet!

A hutch should only be a shelter and not the only living space. It should be attached to a secure run of at least 8' x 4'.

from here: http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/ahutchisnotenough.htm

As you are new to this, have you considered house rabbits? A lot of people dont realise you can have them inside, like a dog or cat, and that they can have free-run of the house or a room.

I have considered house rabbits, but we have 2 house cats and I'm not sure how that will work out. We are also in a rented house and I've heard some bunnies can be a bit destructive (correct me if I'm wrong) so might not be the best idea for us. :)

Where abouts are you? If you are near some people on here, some one may be able to show you their accomodation to give you some ideas of suitable accomodation.

I have considered house rabbits, but we have 2 house cats and I'm not sure how that will work out. We are also in a rented house and I've heard some bunnies can be a bit destructive (correct me if I'm wrong) so might not be the best idea for us. :)

Cats can get along with rabbits, but on a safer measure, you can always put bunnies in the spare room or a study, somewhere the cats are not allowed and only allow supervised time together.

I think a 6ft x 4ft shed and a run as large as you can fit/afford would be a good combination. You can always fit a lil' plastic chair in a shed so you can sit down and let the bunnies come to you at their own pace.

Thanks, I'm looking into a shed now. What sort of set up would I need inside the shed? I'd obviously need to find a run (or build one?) to attach to the side, but what would they sleep in inside?

Janice, I live in Burnley, Lancashire. Not sure if anyone is near me?

You can have semi-free range bunnies....my Charlie Babbit has a converted sideboard of 6' x 2' as a hutch. I didn't want a 'proper' hutch in my living room as they are not particularly attractive so I bought a sideboard that matched my other furniture, took out all the shelving and meshed the doors. Now Charlie has a lovely 'des res' and the moment I am home, he free ranges until bedtime. I have five Bengal cats and they got on just fine with Charlie....here they are on a joint 'biscuit raid' from my hedgehog's pen!!! x

018-2.jpg

and chilling out in the living room x

003-3.jpg

I like the very first hutch linked to, on top of the run. And apparently you can have the hutch at the front and the run sticking out at the back. Sheds are nice as you can sit in with your rabbits. One member has an old wardrobe on its side with no doors and the rabbits' base inside and they can jump on top of it. You could also buy cheap furniture from a charity shop, like a coffee table (£5 probably) for them to sleep under. And you can put cupboards in sheds to store food and hay too keep it out of your way. :)

Awww, your pets (buns and cats alike) are all beautiful. Love the sprawled out rabbit pic! As much as I would love to have rabbits indoors, like I said, we are in rented accommodation so it's probably not the best idea!

I love the shed set up! Thats fabulous, I take it I don't need a hutch in the shed then - just some other sort of bed? I'm quite glad I've got time to get this sorted and didn't jump into buying straight away. Been with my sister to see some gorgeous mini lops (http://marvelousminis.webs.com/forsale.htm) at the weekend and could have placed a deposit down straight away, but I'm happy I didn't now.

Awww, your pets (buns and cats alike) are all beautiful. Love the sprawled out rabbit pic! As much as I would love to have rabbits indoors, like I said, we are in rented accommodation so it's probably not the best idea!

I love the shed set up! Thats fabulous, I take it I don't need a hutch in the shed then - just some other sort of bed? I'm quite glad I've got time to get this sorted and didn't jump into buying straight away. Been with my sister to see some gorgeous mini lops (http://marvelousminis.webs.com/forsale.htm) at the weekend and could have placed a deposit down straight away, but I'm happy I didn't now.

Some people use underbed storage trays and make them a cosy home in that, others will make a hole in a cardboard box for them to snuggle up in. Carpet tiles on the floor also work well.

Do remember the more you put in the more difficult it is to keep clean. Start simple and then work from there.

Have you considered getting a pair of rabbits from a rescue. Most have rabbits of all ages, many will be neutered and vaccinated. This usually works out cheaper than getting a rabbit from a breeder which then needs neutering and vaccinating.

I have been looking - I believe there is a local rescue in Earby. I'm not going to start looking properly until I have somewhere to house them as I want it to be right rather than letting my impatience kick in and getting the urge to buy something less than perfect to get the bunnies home!

I have been looking - I believe there is a local rescue in Earby. I'm not going to start looking properly until I have somewhere to house them as I want it to be right rather than letting my impatience kick in and getting the urge to buy something less than perfect to get the bunnies home!

If you're going for a shed I advise you read this thread. The photo's of the set-up being made give such inspiration :oops:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=251512

This is one of my favourite enclosures on here. ;)

Oh also if you're going for an enclosure like this why not go for a neutered group. So many mother/daughter pairs, or even perfectly bonded, neutered family groups get overlooked. And to be honest with you as a first time bunny mom I think a happily bonded group will save you a lot of hassle. They will also groom each other, and keep each other entertained whilst you're away.

I have a family group and I have to say that it's the most precious thing ever to watch. :love:

Last edited:
Back