• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP! Just had a litter of kits!!

EmmaN1c0le

New Kit
Hey,
I have two gorgeous rescue bunnies! And yesterday the female (i have a boy n girl) started pulling her fur out and making what looked like a nest. . . So to be on the safe side as i thought she might be pregnant, i went and got her a box to nest in (or to just play with if she wasnt pregnant) then a few hours later i went back into the room to find that she had given birth to at least 6 babies (maybe 7, but cant tell for sure as they dont stop moving!)

Now, here's the problem. I'm really scared that she isnt going to take to them. I got her just before xmas and she was fairly young then (not too sure as we weren't told exactly). I havent seen her feed them (i know u dont always). but how will i know for sure that they are healthy??

I've scoured the internet to find help and advice as to how to give them the best possible start in life! They are now almost 24 hours old and are squirming around each other.

Are you allowed to hold them?? some people say yes some no. My female has a real attitude (before babies and especially now) and she bites, growls and attacks anyone that comes near her cage. So should i risk holding babies to inspect them??

How can i make sure she is feeding them!?

Could you please get back with any and all advice you can give me! As I am desperate to know everything and anything! I would love to keep them healthy and happy! Please help! Thank you x

firstly,i she away from the male?did you breed her or did you rescue her pregnant?you can tell if babies have been fed as they will look like fat sausages.youl probably never see mum feed babies.they only feed about twice a day.personally i wouldnt touch them unless you have a good relationship with mum :)

Yes they've lived seperately the whole time i've had them. Except for when they come out to play together occasionally. But they were closely supervised except for when i had to leave them in the care with someone else for a couple of days. But they haven't been together for a fair few weeks now, so im guessing she got pregnant whilst playing? Was not intentional.

We used to have a good relationship but since she met the male she has been (sorry to say this coz i still love her lots! :D ) a little cow! So am really scared of touching them, but people say one of the ways to check if they've been fed is to feel if they are warm?? Plus if she is not feeding them would i have to pick them up and put them near her so they can try and get food!?

Thank you x

Hi
This thread may not be in the best place to get responses but I think it can only be moved by a moderator (not sure how you go about this). Hope someone can help. Good luck with the babies. Good idea to get both bunnies neutered asap I think.:)

Ok then. But am new to this site so dont really know what im doing :S

And yes, that was the plan anyway. Just havent been paid yet so cant afford it but is happening as soon as babies are old enough :) x

Ok then. But am new to this site so dont really know what im doing :S

And yes, that was the plan anyway. Just havent been paid yet so cant afford it but is happening as soon as babies are old enough :) x

you can get your male done in the meantime :) he will still be fertile for 6-8 weeks after neutering anyway.

would be a good idea to start looking for homes now, as good ones are very hard to find and it takes time to homecheck etc

You'll need to check every day that the babies are still alive. Count them if you can. If you need to touch them it would be best to err on the side of caution I think, so make sure your hands dont have any strong smells on, wash them, then rub them in her poo and bedding and maybe stroke her as well before handling the babies.

Back