• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spaying - Enlighten me!

chloemurray

Warren Veteran
I'm a total newbie to spaying, only had one girly bun before the two does I have now, and she was spayed before I got her.

So, fancy teaching me the basics? My questions are...

What questions do I ask the vet before booking them in?
What painkillers shall I ask for? (Because I will definitely be asking for some)
Do they need to go for a checkup beforehand?
Shall I pack them a lunchbox of their favourite foods for after the op?
What do I do when they get home? (Where do I keep them, what food do I offer, are they allowed as much space as they want?)
How do I know if there's something "not right"?

What do I do if everything goes wrong?:cry:

As you can tell, I'm slightly panicked.

I don't know if this will be of comfort to you or not...hopefully it will. I was in a right mess before Biscuit went in for her spaying. I cried when I dropped her off and I panicked all day until the vet called.

It is natural to be worried, operations are a big deal, but it is definitely for the best.

I would suggest the day that you take her in that you have something planned to occupy you all day, otherwise you will tear your hair out!

Sorry, meant to say...you must keep an eye on her for her return to eating, that oughtn't take longer than a day (although Biscuit was 2 days). Biscuit was out of sorts for the rest of the op day, and the following day. Then as soon as it had all worn off a bit she woke up on the third day and was back to herself. I cried again then, with relief :roll:

Sorry, meant to say...you must keep an eye on her for her return to eating, that oughtn't take longer than a day (although Biscuit was 2 days). Biscuit was out of sorts for the rest of the op day, and the following day. Then as soon as it had all worn off a bit she woke up on the third day and was back to herself. I cried again then, with relief :roll:

Thanks for sharing your experience:D

The link Santa shared was brilliant but I'd like to hear personal experiences too...

And oh don't worry, I plan to get them done on a day where I'll have something to distract me, or I'll be in bits:(

Back