• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help me design the bunny garden

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
By design I mean what to put in it. Dad's said I can have the bed by the fence. Despite being by the fence it gets quite a bit of sun through the day.

So far I have in mind...

Basil, dill, parsley, rosemary, sage, thyme, tarragon, lemon balm (in pot), lavender, mint (in pot), marigold/calendula, coriander.

I'm also going to do some chives but these are for moi. :oops: Not the bunnies.

Going to also do a bunny mix of seeds in some planters and some dandelion and plantain in planters too. Would like some more ideas for bunny edible flowers that are easy to grow.

Also if I got some of those herb pots they sell in the supermarket that the bunnies have had the tops off and just replant them will they grow? We've done it was parsley before and it's worked but would it work with other stuff too?

Also if I got some of those herb pots they sell in the supermarket that the bunnies have had the tops off and just replant them will they grow? We've done it was parsley before and it's worked but would it work with other stuff too?

I do this in the summer :wave: Except I plant them in a pot as soon as I get them - works really well. Can't imagine why it wouldn't work if you took the tops off and then replanted them :)

Umm I do knwo some bunny safe flowers, there is one that is really easy to grow I just can't think of what is called :?

Strawberries, easy to grow, pretty white flowers, the leaves are good for bunnies and you can eat the strawberries :)

Depending how much space you have you could also try a raspberry cane or two (go for thorness variety). I would plant them in a pot (eg bucket) with the bottom cut off to stop them spreading to fill the whole area. Rabbits can eat leaves and wood (autumn fruiting ones you cut back to the ground annually).

Nasturtiums are another bunny edible flower - easy to grow but you'll need to resow each year.

Sounds good! :)

I believe blackberries and blackberry leaves are safe for rabbits? We have wild blackberries growing great in our yard. They aren't too picky on requirements, but they do like a lot of moisture. When it doesn't rain enough we don't get many blackberries. So they may be a plant you want to consider :)

What about Blackcurrants? We have 3 of these plants - can they eat the twigs too?

This is a fab thread - i am planning on lots of pots in the garden and we've got some planters with rosemary and lavender in, the blackcurrants and i will get more ideas from here too. :thumb:

Ooh I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread as Im doing a bunny garden this spring aswell :D
Apparantly they can eat Lavender so I might grow that too esp as it smells so nice. Im going to try to grow some Citronella aswell as Im hoping it will help keep the flies away ;)

Strawberries, easy to grow, pretty white flowers, the leaves are good for bunnies and you can eat the strawberries :)

Depending how much space you have you could also try a raspberry cane or two (go for thorness variety). I would plant them in a pot (eg bucket) with the bottom cut off to stop them spreading to fill the whole area. Rabbits can eat leaves and wood (autumn fruiting ones you cut back to the ground annually).

Nasturtiums are another bunny edible flower - easy to grow but you'll need to resow each year.

I will have strawbs and blackberries and raspberries up the allotment so they'll get some leaves off those :thumb: I didn't know they could eat the wood too. :thumb:

Nasturtiums! I knew there was another one! :thumb:

Sounds good! :)

I believe blackberries and blackberry leaves are safe for rabbits? We have wild blackberries growing great in our yard. They aren't too picky on requirements, but they do like a lot of moisture. When it doesn't rain enough we don't get many blackberries. So they may be a plant you want to consider :)

Got those on the allotment. Have 'inherited' a lot of fruit and stuff :thumb: Didn't get any blackberries last year though :(

Back