• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oh No...Babies! U/D p65 sad news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starlight

Warren Veteran
Bo-Peep, one of the stray 5 had 2 babies this afternoon.
Wednesday was the cut off date for any babies, we were so close!

She is a medium sized lionhead... 2 seems a pretty small litter.
She still feels like there could be some in there.

It has been about 2 hours since I found the 2 (had a vet appt so had to dash out as soon as I found them)

Would it be best to get an ultrasound done tonight to rule out any potential complications/confirm there are only two?

Last edited:
How is she acting? If she is eating, drinking, pooing and weeing and being normal then leave it.

She may have some in her other uterine horn but its not uncommon to stop labour if its ditressing and have the next lot the next day or later on.

If there is a problem she will show it with her behaviour (such as a stuck kit or a kit can can't kindle).

How is she acting? If she is eating, drinking, pooing and weeing and being normal then leave it.

She may have some in her other uterine horn but its not uncommon to stop labour if its ditressing and have the next lot the next day or later on.

If there is a problem she will show it with her behaviour (such as a stuck kit or a kit can can't kindle).

She is the same she ever is ie running from me etc lol.

I am just concerned as Little China when having babies, needed an oxytocin shot as she only had one before contractions stopped.

Wondering if it could be the same situation.

Why can't you live a little closer Sky, you could have looked at her for me :oops: :lol:

She is the same she ever is ie running from me etc lol.

I am just concerned as Little China when having babies, needed an oxytocin shot as she only had one before contractions stopped.

Wondering if it could be the same situation.

Why can't you live a little closer Sky, you could have looked at her for me :oops: :lol:

If you felt I could be of use I wouldn't mind coming (that applies to many things, by the way), but I'm not sure how much use I could be. I wouldn't be able to feel her, I would just be looking at the same things you would look for and at.

If she is active and normal then my feeling would be to leave her.

What happened with China?

If you wasn't busy, I would love if you could, as I am a little stressed at the moment, so many things going on :(

China had one kit, then no more, as she was a giant x, we thought it wasn't right.

We took her to the vets for a conscious ultrasound that showed 6 other little bodies! They have her a shot of oxytocin to start her contractions again, and said if she didn't have them in an hour, she would need a c-section.
Luckily, she had them 20 minutes after the shot.

If you wasn't busy, I would love if you could, as I am a little stressed at the moment, so many things going on :(

China had one kit, then no more, as she was a giant x, we thought it wasn't right.

We took her to the vets for a conscious ultrasound that showed 6 other little bodies! They have her a shot of oxytocin to start her contractions again, and said if she didn't have them in an hour, she would need a c-section.
Luckily, she had them 20 minutes after the shot.

How was China acting in between?

Sandy had 4 on one day, followed by another 3 the next day and this isn't uncommon because of having two uterine horns.

What size are the kits? 2 would be reasonable for one in each horn, or two in one horn. 2 wouldn't be unusual especially if she only mated with the rogue boy once.

I can come, but I won't be able to do anything other than look at her and the kits, but my total fear is that I will smell different and foreign and she won't feel safe and may struggle as a result.

China just went back to normal to my knowledge (was in a foster home) The kits are average size I would guess.

Wow! I have never had a bun space her babies out before!

That is very true. I wasn't sure if I should vet or not. I just have a funny feeling about it.

China just went back to normal to my knowledge (was in a foster home) The kits are average size I would guess.

Wow! I have never had a bun space her babies out before!

That is very true. I wasn't sure if I should vet or not. I just have a funny feeling about it.

Firstly, you have to follow your gut about her, or else you won't forgive yourself if something goes wrong.

That said, if she was mine and she was acting completely normal and I couldn't find anything out of place then I think I would be likely to sit and wait it out and check regularly throughout the night. And any sign of anything at all not being right, then I would be whipping her straight to the vet.

I did lose a rabbit in kindling but she was never right after (she died about 2 hours after starting to kindle, on the vets table) and I did lose a rabbit two days later but she did also see an incompetent vet who said she had cystitis and I suspect she had pyometra with hindsight.

Still no sign of any more.
She seems ever so slightly agitated (Just stood in the cold with a headlight on watching her :oops: )
Keeps going near the nest, having a little dig in the hay, grooming herself, then hopping over to Buttercup :?

Still no sign of any more.
She seems ever so slightly agitated (Just stood in the cold with a headlight on watching her :oops: )
Keeps going near the nest, having a little dig in the hay, grooming herself, then hopping over to Buttercup :?

So the question is, why is she agitated.

Is is that they are on their way and somene was staring at her, was it that she is uncomfortable, was it that she doesn't know what to do, was it that she is with another bunny and she doesn't know if she should be, was it that she is picking up on your stress, was it that you're behaving differently.

What does your gut tell you Kris?

I feel there is more on the way, but am unsure if it will be naturally or else. :(
I am on the phone to vet to get opinion, then will observe her again to see if she is calm.

It could be that she is wondering what on earth I am doing standing there with a light on my head :oops:

She doesn't seem that uncomfortable in herself though.

She has made a burrow like hole near the current nest, but just out of hay. She was eating hay when I just checked.

Anyway you could set up a webcam so you can check her without her thinking you're weird?

Also, how is the nest? And is the hutch warm?

No chance of a webcam, I haven't got one that is setup like that :(

Her main nest is all smothered in fur and nice and warm. The hutch is filled with hay and is a reasonable temperature.

The vet said I can get there for 8pm (just out of hours) for an u/s if I want to.

ETA: I thought that about the hole. Will check up in another 10 minutes and see how she is getting on. Should I go vets if nothing in 30 minutes?

Have been to the vet and she had an x-ray. 3-4 that we can see are still inside her so she has had a shot of oxytocin and within an hour, we should have them with their siblings!

Please send easy birthing vibes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back