• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny mansions..... brick or wood type question??

TeflonsShadow

Wise Old Thumper
I have a question!!

A lot of you have AWESOME outdoor bunny mansions..... dog run type homes.... but they are all wooden.

Does anyone here have anything made of brick??

Can it be made of brick?

Would brick be better/ worse than using wood?

The only reason I ask is because my brother is learning to be a bricky, and it would be cheaper for him and I to make a bunny mansion one day, than to buy one.... Im already making plans! :p I would have thought brick would be more resistant to fire and more insulating to wind, not to mention fox proof, but I just havent seen any on here?

Thanks for all thoughs and opinions!! :wave:

I havent seen any but I suppose for most people a shed or kennel is easier to buy and put up.

Given the choice I would go for brick, it would be easy to add electricity and then allsorts of mod cons like lighting and heating :D

I have thought of this too. A small brick home with a little access to an outdoor run too or something.I think it would be better, especially considering how windy it has been!

I have thought of this too. A small brick home with a little access to an outdoor run too or something.I think it would be better, especially considering how windy it has been!

I agree with this. After i posted about my hutch getting blown away a few people said their buns were in sheds so they were safe. On the train home today, i saw a couple of sheds that had been blown over :shock: One was pretty big too!

I can't see any major problems with brick, wood is cheaper and more portable which is probably why most people use it. I wouldn't use brick for the floor though as it's very rough, and high impact if they jump onto it.

I agree with this. After i posted about my hutch getting blown away a few people said their buns were in sheds so they were safe. On the train home today, i saw a couple of sheds that had been blown over :shock: One was pretty big too!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Oooh yes, lights and electric :D One of my other mates is training as a plumber too!! Maybe I would have a wee water tap in there for filling bowls too! :lol:

I can't see any major problems with brick, wood is cheaper and more portable which is probably why most people use it. I wouldn't use brick for the floor though as it's very rough, and high impact if they jump onto it.

No of course, the floor would be paving or concrete, with some areas turfed or raised beds..... (this is my dream at the moment, nothing set in stone!)

Sounds like there are going to be some very lucky buns soon! :D

Well, it wont be Rimmi and Winter, they are indoor bunnies for life! But when I get a garden then this will be happening... hopefully!! Lol. I have to make the bf left me have an outdoor group first, and a landlord that will let me make this! :p :lol:

I reckon brick would be ace - especially if it was insulated and had lighting - could also install heating if you rig up the electric. The inside would need to be lined and painted so the buns didnt lick or chew the bricks or mortar.

Presumably you'd have a aviary or run attached? And I'd add a window in one wall and in the door for light and ventilation - one that you could swap between mesh and plastic depending on the weather.

I guess the only disadvantage is it would be permanently in one place, so you'd have to consider very carefully which way around you place it, dimensions, running electricity to it etc.

I would have a brick shed if I could. My buns are eating the brand new shed already and they haven't been in it for a week yet! :roll: They do have lots of toys too!!

My boarding area is brick because its an outhouse I can get photos when i go back home if you like :wave:

second buns (sugar and spice, around 1970) had a brick built house with a window and hatch-type door, wooden floor, very long wide and high run.....dad's a builder, now somewhat retired at 78...

I have one which is the equivalent of a lean-to to a brick shed on one side, incorporating a garden wall on another, a greendhouse for the 3rd wall and lean-to panels and wooden door for the front.

My bun has free range of the garden though so there's no issue with the run/aviary being in one place on the grass.
:D

I'm sure I read that somewhere in Europe (might have been Germany) rabbits are often kept in brick built enclosures.

I think it'd be lovely for your buns to have a brick built home. It would last longer for a start. You might have to check with your local council though in case you need planning permission as it would be counted as permanent (I think)

Would you have to have planning permission and follow building regulations for brick built buildings? Planning can be costly and all the building inspections to issue certificates to cover building regs can be expensive too.

Would you have to have planning permission and follow building regulations for brick built buildings? Planning can be costly and all the building inspections to issue certificates to cover building regs can be expensive too.

Yes, you need planning permission for anything built over a certain size, whether made with wood or brick :)

Back