• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Im not sure but i dont believe the boys have the same problems as girls but if you were going to get him a friend you would have to get him neutered so there was no fighting of if you got him a girl friend no babies

As far as I am aware, it just helps their behaviour, stops spraying, biting etc. Someone more knowledge might differ though!

obviously there is the obvious thing of "male behaviour" is he housed with a spayed female? if so he could become "annoying" and make her depressed.

My male is not neutered but this is only because he can be as the risk is too high for him he has a bad respiratory problem and can only go under in emergancys.. i am very very lucky with him as he doesnt bother my spayed female only when he has been poorly and trying to dominate again which lasts a few hours.

Also if he is housed with a female he could wear himself out and make himself poorly because he may keep trying.

I know its so hard to trust again after having such a awful situation. Have you got a savvy vet? one that specialses in rabbits? if not i would search on here and ask people if they know a rabbit specilist in your area. If he is a very healthy bunny the risks are very low :) the vet can give a full health check before hand to put your mind at rest.

p.s he is only 4-5 months so he may get behaviour issues later i.e not using litter tray/ aggression.
xx

Last edited:
Unless he has health problems and as long as your vet is rabbit savvy neutering should be a straight forward operation. Have you discussed it with your vet?

Charlie randomly stopped being well behaved before he was neutered. he'd circle me, be nippy, wouldnt use his litter tray, basically he was just a bit of a git!
perfect little lad now he's been done though :)

I have an unneutered buck, but will be getting him done soon. He's my first pet and I'm very nervous about it. One of the reasons I've delayed so long is that he doesn't show any of the normal hormonal behaviours. Testicular cancer is a risk for unneutered bucks, although this isn't as big a risk as the cancers girl rabbits are likely to develop if unspayed. My rabbit is very difficult to handle, and a picky eater so I'm hoping he will be more relaxed once he is done.

Like susie bun says, there is a risk of testicular cancer in male rabbits.

I can definitely understand being nervous, but imagine if, in years to come, you reached a time when you wish he had been neutered (if you wanted to get him a friend, he developed cancer, or behavioural problems or aggression) and you realised that was your choice that he wasn't. That is something that could haunt you.

Generally, the younger they are, the easier the operation is for them and the faster they recover. As they get older it is harder for them to recover and obviously when they get middle aged and older the risks are higher.

Maybe find a vet that comes with a good recomendation and go along for a chat?

Thanks guys.
Really appreciate the replies :)
Was so worried that I was harming him. I really thought I would have been able to overcome my fears by now.

He doesn't have any of the behaviour issues i have read about. Once, when he was on the bed he flicked pee at me though lol. He doesn't spray on a regular basis though, only that one time. Guess that as he grows up he shall start being a grumpy little man ;)

No he doesn't live with anyone at the moment, I am just not in a financial position to pay for 2 sets of vet bills if both got sick at the same time - I would rather have 1 well looked after bun than 2 neglected ones. He lives indoors and gets plenty of attention and love from myself and my son. He is always doing binkys etc, he is a very happy bun even though he isn't bonded.
Am currently looking for a job as I had to leave Uni due to issues with my son and childcare.

I'm not sure if the vet we have is on the rabbit savvy vet list. Does anyone have the link with the list for me please?

If you make a new thread and put the area you live and then put any savvy vets in **** then people in your area will be able to reccomened you a good vets :) i think you need to get your trust back with vets, it must be so difficult for you after losing one. But there will probably be a time where he may need dental and it may be even harder to let him go under GA then.

I would find a vets on here then call then up and just speak to them about your concerns and if a vet will see you and your bun for a health check just so you feel alot more happier about the procedure involved :) its much easier and quicker for boys to get neutered. I think the hardest thing will be getting your trust back after that you will feel more comfortable him going in for procedures. I have had to have casper (my bun with respiratory issues) in for dentel a few times.. and it was awful but i trust my vet that she knows what she is doing, he is 8 and has issues and was poorly at the time and he recovered fine :) and was eating the same day :) xxx

I have an unneutered buck, but will be getting him done soon. He's my first pet and I'm very nervous about it. One of the reasons I've delayed so long is that he doesn't show any of the normal hormonal behaviours. Testicular cancer is a risk for unneutered bucks, although this isn't as big a risk as the cancers girl rabbits are likely to develop if unspayed. My rabbit is very difficult to handle, and a picky eater so I'm hoping he will be more relaxed once he is done.

:shock: I never knew that :shock:

Learn something new every day :)

oh no, it isn't like i won't be getting him neutered. he will defo be neutered before he gets to the age of 1.
was just wondering if a few months while i get my fear under control will make a difference :)
the cancer thing scares me though, gonna try and get it under control quicker. might just give a friend the money and a key and get her to bunny-nap him when i least expect it so i will have no idea it's happening until i get to spoil him afterwards ;)

Ah, ok :) you know, it will all be over and done with quicker if you get it done now and he will likely bounce back far faster than if you leave it a couple of months.

There's lots you an do to prepare him for the whole thing, and lots you can do for afterwards though. That adds an element of control into a scary situation.

I'm the same. Been scared to get Bramble nutered, as I heard it can change their personality, and he is so lovely. He doesn't spray or bite, and is just a joy. However the risk of cancer frightens me too, and also the fact that he will be 4 in a week or so.

Bramble lives on his own outside, but gets lots of attention. I put in a little cuddly stuffed bunny with him, and he humped her for the first time yesterday.....I've never seen a little bottom move so fast!

Is it too late to get Bramble nutered?

hi all.
at the moment i just have the one bun, snowball.
he is a male and about 4 / 5 months old.
if im recalling correctly, females need spayed because of the risk of cancer.

apart from behaviour issues (which snowball has none of) are there risks in not having a male neutered?

we lost a bun once under GA and it makes me really nervous.
I know that things have improved a lot in recent years etc, but it really scares me.
I know that I am being silly and that I shouldn't be so scared, but I am. I know I won't be able to take him until I get over that fear.

So just while I am working on my fears, am I risking his health because I am afraid?

health wise it doesnt really affect them, its more behavioural. If he starts spraying and acting up id get him done then but if hes alright now then i suppose it wont make much difference to wiat.

scooter had loads of behavioural probloems worse when he was younger and i left it and wiated when i should have got him done the first chance i had got. i just hope that getting him done now wont make him worser.

Oh yea sometimes when i male is done even if they had nice behaviour before in rare causes they can get a bit nasty. :D

Back