• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

arthitritis in older buns..?

karen1980

Mama Doe
How can you find arthiritis in bunnies?

Lily is a giant and 4years old.

She's started twisting her back right leg in when she hops and as such is off balance.

I asked my vet who now has emirgated about this and he said to leave her as is.

She was x rayed 2 years ago when she stopped standing up on her back legs to groom but no fault was found in her spin or hips.

I think perhaps she has arthiritis although the vet said he couldn’t feel any bone deformatites.

In your opinions what would your next steps be? Uim thinking she's getting a bit old to be put under for x rays.

Ive tried the excel glucosamine doiet but her poops get very sticky and she hates the pellets..

People do feed glucosamine directly, you could PM Poppymoon, I think she does with capsules and banana :)

Human wise, omega oils (vege sources from seeds or a more expensive and better one from the brand Solgar made from seaweed), glucosamine (available in vege or shellfish forms) and condroitin (not available in vege form) are used. I've used all these for my dog but you would have to check with your vet whether they can be used with rabbits. These are all preventative measures.

Willow bark can help with pain although there is some debate about whether you can take tablets continuously or should have breaks between. Of course in its natural bark form there would be no need to take breaks from it, just supply toys/baskets made from untreated, unpeeled willow.

Hope that helps a bit :)

You need a proper diagnosis from a vet. Since your original vet has emigrated, it's time to find a new vet! When did your previous vet last examine her?

If she does have arthiritis, then acupuncture can be used to treat it. Try www.abva.co.uk to find a vet who offers acupuncture (and make sure you discuss this treatment with your new 'normal' vet of course).

If PrettyLupin was around she'd say, but she's just had a baby.

I believe her 'Nino' has arthritis, and has metacam split into 2 doses a day, but this is all discussed with her vet.

Defo a vet trip :wave:

I believe her 'Nino' has arthritis, and has metacam split into 2 doses a day, but this is all discussed with her vet.

I meant Pretty Lupin and nino :oops: not poppymoonn:oops:

I was just going to mention PL :D perhaps search through her threads? I have also heard of acupuncture used to manage the condition, so would echo what Muppet2 has said and research that :wave:

hey karen as per our discussion previously, how about trying her with parsley (fresh) as this helps a bit and sprinkling glucosamine from health food shop onto her normal food. if she isnt a wriggly bunny how about a concious x ray? jason (gloucester) did chelseas concious and she was fine (age9/10yrs at the time) have you done a course of pannacur (28days) to rule out ec too?

Thanks for all your help I'll try the parsley, she's had the 28 days panacur and is still like this.

I was thinking when im back from hols.. i go tomorrow we'll pop he in the car free rein on the back seat and take her5 to trinity.

Bunlover I wish I lived in Glos!!

x

Back