• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

vibes for joe please we're at the vets U/D P53 having a dental this aft

paulinejoe

Mama Doe
Found joe on his side in run this morning and refusing his nuggets. He's normally first at the dish wolfing them down. Bought him straight to animal hospital. He nibbled at straw in carrier but still not nuggets. Just waiting for vet now. Im so worried :(

Last edited:
Hope he's ok :( Is he properly on his side, or lying with his feet outstretched and sort of on his tummy too? If he is it could be wind :wave:

He's been admitted, it is stasis :( don't think its a blockage. I've just come home to get his usual grub and take it back to vets. As I was leaving he was eating straw in carrier again but still not his nuggets. Thanks for all the vibes. I'll keep you updated.

Thanks everyone :wave: I was on my phone earlier so couldn't type properly - so...what a morning :( I went out to feed the buns this morning and normally Joejoe is ready and waiting to wolf down his nuggets but this morning he wasn't there, so i looked down in the run and he was flat out on his side with his eyes shut, i honestly thought he'd gone tbh, i stroked him and he didn't even move and he refused food, so i just bundled him straight in the carrier and took him off to the animal hospital in Dewsbury where they confirmed no gut sounds.

Paul had already gone to work and I couldn't catch Jess to get her in the carrier, and even if i could i couldn't have got her in the carrier without Joejoe trying to get out so I had to leave her behind - I asked the vet if i should come back and get her but she said Joes too ill to be bothered at the moment anyway but we'll see later on.

She didn't think there was any blockage or impaction and thinks maybe this terrible wind and rain has upset him. I asked her to check his teeth and she said the back ones on the left hand side are a little sharp but no cuts or ulcers but he will need a GA to check that out properly and they can't do that until he's better.

Yesterday he had to eat:

Nuggets
readigrass
green oat hay
chopped spring greens
basil
little bit of brocolli
little bit of sliced carrot
some fenugreek crunchies crumbled up over the veg

She weighed him and he's just a smidge over 3 kilos :oops: (he was 2.6 a few months ago) I think he is eating the lions share of the small handful of nuggets before Jess gets a look in :roll: as she doesn't run straight to the dish like him and she is a slow eater too, so if he pulls through this then he's going to have to go on a diet.

I just rang Calder and they said he's had zantac, metoclopamide(Sp?) and is being syringe fed every 3 hours, they said he's ok and I need to call back later.

They laughed at me when i took his food back in, as i dashed home and didn't want to waste time decanting it all so i took an unopened bag of excel nuggets, a full bag of readigrass, a 3/4 full bag of green oat hay and a jar of fenugreek crunchies, they said it looked like he was going away on holiday :lol: Aww I so hope he is going to be ok, i couldn't bear it if anything happened to him :cry:

Last edited:
hope he'll be ok xxx

bet your vets are thinking 'no wonder he's gained weight if he gets that much food:shock:' :D i actually keep an emergency picnic in my car now in case i forget something when dashing to the vets:oops:

Back