• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Embarassing moment...

gareth_mattey

Warren Scout
Hi,

Well ive had my rabbit a couple of months now, went to the vets to be neutered. Got a phone call an hour later telling me its a female!!

My mate and his family told me it was male, ive checked on the internet before about sex of rabbits and i couldnt tell the difference, looked very similar to me.

The vet told me they look similar as well there bits.

So for months ive been thinking it was a male, oh dear i was embarassed but its my first rabbit and ive never had the chance to compare opposite sex's

I wouldn't be too embarrassed - it happens a lot! At least you hadn't had 2 together, so there's not chance of babbies.
Any chance of some photos?

Dont worry - rabbits are notoriously hard to sex, I wouldnt feel at all confident to do it - and pet shops are also notorious for getting it wrong.

Glad she is neutered now though!! :wave:

A spay is an immediate thing for a girl. they take the bits out needed to produce babies and thats it, done. She will be feeing very rough for the next few days as she has had a major and invasive op. For male bunnies it takes up to 8 weeks for it to be fully effective

Some people say buns are much calmer after neutering, but I havn't noticed much with mine.

awwww!! She's lovely and the image of my tilly. Hope she's better behaved!!:D Takes at least 48 hrs before they get back to normalish behaviour just watch she doesn't damage her spay wound :wave:

Thats good that its an immediate thing.

Well the vets gave me a stupid cone to put on her head so she doesnt bite her area but i feel kind of cruel having to put it on her.

She didnt have any problems eating, the vet said she might so gave me a paste and syringe.

Normally she cant wait to get out of her hutch but shes hardly come out the past two days and seems to want to be alone.

Yeah that's pretty normal. When i got the girls done ( they're indoor buns) I made a small hay lined covered area for them to lie in and they did stay in there for most of the 2 days. As long as they have easy access to food and water and aren't able to start jumping on things they are ok. The paste will be fibreplex to keep the gut moving and syringe is painkiller.

Well the vet told me to only give it her if shes not eating but she seems to be eating fine. Doesnt look like shes drank much water, maybe its difficult for her to access it with the cone on her head as it does get in the way.

Well she just made her normal grunting noises to me for the first time since the op.

Got to take her back to the vets at 9am to be checked over.

Back