• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

deaf bunnies, you wait till you can see them but they cant see you, then you make an almighty racket and see if they react. I also waited till mine was asleep and then me and my housemate screamed and yelled in his face. A bunny that could hear would be startled.

I assume blindness is something the vet can figure out medically.

The lady that rescued/fostered my bunny before he came here suspected that Starbuck was deaf because he wouldnt react to VERY loud noises, and would be very easily startled - I can see a this difference in him compared to my other buns. A vet confirmed that he was deaf, but I have no idea how this was done, sorry.

Thanks for the info guys :)
Was just being nosy really and picking up information.
Guess it might be helpful to anyone else wondering about theirs though :)

Sorry to hear about your deaf bunnies :(

Dont be sorry - he doesnt know any different and is perfectly happy! :D:D
I do give him more tactile attention than the other buns because he has one less sense than they do, but he is very interactive with me, which is just lovely :love: :D They do need a bit of extra consideration but thats all. :D

Dont worry it doesnt seem to affect my Barney either really. If he doesnt see you come in the room sometimes he will bolt in panic when he catches a glimpse of you. But apart from that he really is the boldest bunny I've met! I think part of it is that he isnt startled by noise and doesnt have to get used to new noises like most buns.

I think he might have something a little lacking in his sight or smell too though, as he finds it hard to find food unless its in his bowl, and then I have to show it to him.

I realised something wasnt quite right after having him for 2 days... he was over 2 years old when I got him and if the previous owner knew she never said anything about it to P@H staff (I know the manager) when she took him in, although she gave loads of other info.

Blind rabbits bump into things a lot in a strange environment.
Partially sighted bunnies often "periscope" ( stand on their hind legs and slowly scan their environment from side to side)
Bunnies with sight problems like cataracts often have a white film over the eye/s.

Bunnies with sight problems often have an increased sense of smell and hearing.

I think you would notice if something wasn't quite right with your rabbit to be honest. If they are acting normally then I doubt they have any sight or hearing problems :)

I have my daughter(bunlover)'s bun Coco & his wifebun Kitty to stay quite often. Coco is partially sighted and so I try to keep his environment the same so he knows where things are. Coco has a very keen sense of smell and of hearing too!
I use a large plastic beaker to rattle his pellets so he knows when its dinner time.:)
He has a very good quality of life.:D As his eyesight will deteriorate its good that he has a sighted partner .:)
sue:wave:

Sighted bunnies do periscope too, but perhaps poorly sighted ones do it more often?
glad Snowballs ok.:)
sue:wave:

I've been wondering recently if my rabbit Peanut is a little deaf, she's under a year old. She is always startled by me walking towards her, even though I'll be talking to her and calling her name? I've recently taken in an adopted bunny and he reacts to the slightest sound, his ears move and he sits up to periscope, Peanut doesn't seem to do this? Her ears were checked on Saturday and all was fine so it's very bizarre. Maybe she has selective hearing just like my OH :lol:

I suspected Furby was deaf very soon after I rehomed him. (He is one of the Lymington buns). I put him in a pen in the lounge to quarantine him and noticed that he would jump when he turned around and saw me. He didn't move away from the vaccuum or react to it at all and if I clapped my hands behind him there was no response.

When I took him to the vet he confirmed it and when I had him neutered the locum vet told me he was deaf too (although I had reminded the nurse on admission).

Furby is much, much happier since I rehomed Faye and he has bunny company. He now eats his noms as soon as they are put in the hutch whereas before he wasn't interested in food and seemed miserable. I thought he was probably very isolated. Now I would say he is a happy bun and his disability doesn't cause him any problems. I still chat away to him as I do to all my other buns:)

I suspected Furby was deaf very soon after I rehomed him. (He is one of the Lymington buns). I put him in a pen in the lounge to quarantine him and noticed that he would jump when he turned around and saw me. He didn't move away from the vaccuum or react to it at all and if I clapped my hands behind him there was no response.

This might explain why Peanut has never been scared of the hoover! She'll be going in for her Myxi jab in March so I'll ask specifically then if they think she has a hearing problem, in the meantime I might try the clapping thing and anything else I can think of. I've called out to her when she's had her back to me and she's ignored me but I just thought that she was just being moody and might have been a bit depressed. It's only since I've had this new bunny at the weekend that I can see the difference in reactions.

Thanks Snowball for starting this thread as I would never have considered it, lets hope that she is just a moody bun and is just ignoring me :lol:

Right, I've just tried banging loudly behind her ears while she was eating and not a flinch, the moment I moved my hand into her line of sight she jumped :cry: I tried this a few times to make sure. Everything now seems to make sense! She sits next to the TV speaker, scared when you get up to move, not playing with any of the 'noisey' toys we've bought her, not bothered by the hoover. I can't believe I've only just realised!! She is my first bunny so I didn't know, I just thought she was very chilled out. Now I feel devastated :cry::cry: My poor little BB was deaf and I didn't realise! :cry::cry:All this time I've been talking to her and she's not been able to hear me :cry::cry: I know from what people have said on here that it's not such a bad thing and they can still be happy but it's still a bit of a shock for me. I will definitely get it confirmed by the vet though, even though her ears were checked on Saturday and were fine. I've also adopted another bunny who I'm hoping to bond with her soon and I've already told him that he has to look after her and be her ears for her :D At least I know now and can interact with her better, it won't stop me talking to her and it's made me love her even more :cry::love:

Sorry for the crying smilies, I'm bit emotional right now :oops:

Last edited:
When my rabbit was taken to the vets, she wanted to see just how bad his eyesight was and put him on the floor with his carrier and watched his reactions to things. Proved he was blind, but also that he had a very good sense of smell as he found his carrier and also me and stayed near me:lol:

I suspect Lucky is hard of hearing as we've done some tests but it hasnt been confirmed by a vet. Daisy is partially sighted/light sensitive but both of them have quality of life. I dont think it affects them a huge amount though and i dont think either case is too serious.

aw im sorry sweetie, at least you know now!!!
i shall edit the title of my thread so that people who know more can come and give you advice :)

:wave: That is so very kind of you, thank you very much! :D I wasn't sure whether to start another thread but didn't want to repeat myself. I think Peanut and I have always compensated when interacting with each other without even knowing it. I will get this confirmed by a vet but any other advice anyone can give would be appreciated. Thank you

Last edited:
Back