• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how long hae your french lops/contis lived for? Another age-related thread...

Candiflare

Mama Doe
It seems hard to believe now, but I probably have to accept that Penelope will probably die before the rest of my buns because she is a giant. I know it's not an established fact that bigger breeds die before smaller ones, but could you tell me how long your frenchies/contis have lied for?

I think about this too:( My Nell is approx 4 yrs old (frenchie) and my Hari (Conti) is only 5 months. It is sad to think they will not live as long as my other two rabbits:(

cant answer for frenchies but contis adverage is 3 years 4 if your lucky
i have the oldest contis anyone has heard of and she is 7 :love:

charm, frenchie, was around 6-7 when he died
custard, frenchie cross as around 4 - 5

both were rescues though, with various health issues

Last edited:
I bury my head in the sand with this one and keep telling myself about all the frenchies that have lived longer into their teens.

My Darcy is 7 this year.

I don't know much about conti's but Frenchies usually live until they're 4 or 5 although some live a lot longer.

Kiwi 2 years
Dougie around 5 years
KC 3 years
Big Mama 7
Maisy 18 months
Bonbon 2 years
Polly 2 years
Daisy 7 years
Jet 7 months
Janae 5 months

Some strains of Frenchies have heart problems, others teeth, and some occasionally have problems with their eyes

this thread is SCARING me lol, mine are coming up to four years this year. I reckon Oscar will live longer as he's not that big at 5kgs, but they both suffer breed related health problems and Noisette has always been a poorly bun from day one which does worry me.

I lost Hermione at 14 months due to breed illness too - she reacted incredibly badly to anaesthetic due to an enlarged heart which is a problem in giants... poor baby :cry:

My parents had a rabbit before I was born/when I was a baby that we think was a flemish giant. She died at about 4 or 5 my parents say. They can't remember exactly how old but she died pretty young and suddenly in her 'nest' for no reason it seemed.

Its hard to believe how young they can die :( I'm not going to get a flemish giant/french lop ever.

My frenchie,Willow lived until a few months under 7years old.She weighed 15lbs.Barley,french lop,weighs 10lbs & is aged 4 & 1/2years old & watching her play this morning she looks as good as she did a year ago.Lively & full of mischief!:lol:I hope she lives as long a life as Will as thats pretty good for a french.

:( :( :(

It's just the thought of finding her dead that is scaring me...

It's usually quite a quick death isn't it? Heart and all that?

I have the same worries knowing that Eli will die before my girls.

It's such a shame that their lifespan is shortened due to their size because they have such great personalities.

Back