• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits outside in the cold. Baby's ears are cold :( HELP PLEASE?

zayna1

Warren Scout
I posted this previously, http://forum.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=269012&page=2

and today they're outside! its around 11 degrees and its kind of windy too

OK so my rabbits have been living inside all winter, and now since guests are coming to the house today my parents have put them outside because my mum thinks they're stinking the house up! The don't have winter coats either! They're in a hutch/run with loads of hay in the hutch sleeping area. When I went to check on them they were cuddled up together, and the little one, (10 week old mini lop with REALLY thin fur) her ears are so cold :( What do i do?! my parents are saying they're fine. My dad covered the hutch with blankets, and plastic sheets, and wrapped them all around so the heat is kept in. Neither of them are in the enclosed sleeping compartment! My dad said to put more hay in there, but the hay won't stay in there (they kick it down the ramp!) it only stays in the bedding area! What do I do??! They said they cant come in tonight either! my mum is really peeving me off :censored:

Sorry, but you know they are not ok to be outside.

I think, at the very least, they each ened a snugglesafe.

Are they living together now?

:(

Oh dear. If they have been in all winter, they have no protection against the cold.... make sure they have millions of hay to snuggle in, and a snuggle safe if you have one :(

I agree put LOTS AND LOTS of hay in and maybe put a folded up small towel/blanket in underneath the hay so there is extra protection.

put in loads loads and loads of hay and straw and i mean loads pack it in as they will soon eat some and move it about so you do need loads in there and put the hutch in a sheltered place, your covering them at night which is good that will keep the heat in and protect them and if you can put them in a shed or garage ( garage that is not used for cars ) and they should be ok yes a snuggle safe would help if you have one
the 10 week old mini lop will be getting cold so if you have some large thermal socks you can make her a little jumpers for her that will help keep her warm this does work i have used them in the past with winter babies ;)
or get a heat lamp to put on the outside of the hutch that will help too
im sorry your in this situation but it is your parents home and till you leave home have your own home and pay the rent and all the bills you must respect their home and respect their wishes and rules
good luck ann x

Last edited:
I really feel for you in this situation. :( I know it seems a bit drastic, but do you have a friend who could keep them at their house for the next couple of months? I'm just very much afraid they won't make it left outside. In the meantime, make up a hotwaterbottle and wrap it up in blankets (though a snugglesafe is better) and put that in the hutch with them. Make sure they have lots of thick straw to lie in too. It might also help if you give them a little warm porridge (made with water, not milk).

Like I say though, I'm very sorry to say I don't think their chances are too good. You do need to tell your parents (calmly) that what they're doing is cruel. Ask them to ring the RSPCA and ask their opinion if they don't take your word for it.

That Jumper is a good idea Jazzywoo!!! I never would of thought of that!!:D

:D ill warn you they do look stupid but dont tell them as they do get offended ;)
i have used them in the past and they work well at keeping little ones warm and older bunnies that are getting thin in coat and bald lol ;)

I really feel for you in this situation. :( I know it seems a bit drastic, but do you have a friend who could keep them at their house for the next couple of months? I'm just very much afraid they won't make it left outside. In the meantime, make up a hotwaterbottle and wrap it up in blankets (though a snugglesafe is better) and put that in the hutch with them. Make sure they have lots of thick straw to lie in too. It might also help if you give them a little warm porridge (made with water, not milk).

Like I say though, I'm very sorry to say I don't think their chances are too good. You do need to tell your parents (calmly) that what they're doing is cruel. Ask them to ring the RSPCA and ask their opinion if they don't take your word for it.

hot water bottles are dangerous to rabbits if they are chewing bunnies as if they do chew and if they decide to chew it they will be covered in hot water and the rubber will not be good for them ! i do use them for the hedgehogs but would not advise using them with rabbits, get a snugglesafe its is a much better option
and i think its very unfair and harsh saying that her parents and herself are been cruel ! they are not been cruel at all ok its not practical but saying shes been cruel is a bit harsh and if she does what i have said the rabbits will be fine if new born kits can survive in this weather in outside hutches with loads of bedding her rabbits will be fine they will soon a just to it
i had baby bunny dumped on me last winter that had been a indoor bunnie and she went straight out side in the shed as i dont keep rabbits in the house unless they are ill and need regular care and she was fine in the shed with her extra hay , straw , and jumper ;)
at the end of the day it is not her house its her parents home and she has to respect their wishes and if her parents do not want them in the house well she must keep them out side yes it is not practical but thats how it is and she has to make the best of a bad situation
and people have to remember rabbits are sold out of pet shops every day and they go from shop to hutch out side , in shed or garage and they always seem to on a whole survive ;)

hot water bottles are dangerous to rabbits if they are chewing bunnies as if they do chew and if they decide to chew it they will be covered in hot water and the rubber will not be good for them ! i do use them for the hedgehogs but would not advise using them with rabbits, get a snugglesafe its is a much better option
and i think its very unfair and harsh saying that her parents and herself are been cruel ! they are not been cruel at all ok its not practical but saying shes been cruel is a bit harsh and if she does what i have said the rabbits will be fine if new born kits can survive in this weather in outside hutches with loads of bedding her rabbits will be fine they will soon a just to it
i had baby bunny dumped on me last winter that had been a indoor bunnie and she went straight out side in the shed as i dont keep rabbits in the house unless they are ill and need regular care and she was fine in the shed with her extra hay , straw , and jumper ;)
at the end of the day it is not her house its her parents home and she has to respect their wishes and if her parents do not want them in the house well she must keep them out side yes it is not practical but thats how it is and she has to make the best of a bad situation
and people have to remember rabbits are sold out of pet shops every day and they go from shop to hutch out side , in shed or garage and they always seem to on a whole survive ;)

At what point did I say the OP has been cruel? I say her parents are being cruel to put the rabbits outside, in early February, when they're used to a heated house. I stand by that.

I do agree that snugglesafes would be a far better alternative to a hotwater bottle. I said it would need to be well wrapped up in a blanket so taht they wouldn't be able to punture it.

What if the bunny started digging at the hot water bottle and the blanket came off and it got puntured :?: I don't mean to be mean i am just asking.:oops:

Ok so they said they can come in tonight after the guests leave, and they can stay until my dad converts the shed for them properly. So i'm guessing a couple of weeks max :S I put a mini hot water bottle in there for them, wrapped up in a blankie. I want to try the jumper, but wouldn't she kind of struggle and panic to get it off? I'm kind of hesitant to try it because i'm a bit scared to! :oops:

At what point did I say the OP has been cruel? I say her parents are being cruel to put the rabbits outside, in early February, when they're used to a heated house. I stand by that.

I do agree that snugglesafes would be a far better alternative to a hotwater bottle. I said it would need to be well wrapped up in a blanket so taht they wouldn't be able to punture it.

well its the same thing saying her parents are been cruel is also saying she is been cruel by obeying her parents wishes which untill she owns her own home and is paying for her own home she has no choice i do understand where her parents are coming from they work hard for the home they live in and its their choice if they want to have rabbits in it destroying things causing damage and making it smell they dont want that so out they go im afraid ok maybe her rabbits are not causing any damage but i know what damage a rabbit can cause someone i know had a giant from me and it destroyed their £20.000 kitchen in a hour when they went shopping along with the flooring and skirting boards and of course insurance does not cover animal damage !!!
the end of the day its their home and well they have a right to say what and who they have it it ;)

Ok so they said they can come in tonight after the guests leave, and they can stay until my dad converts the shed for them properly. So i'm guessing a couple of weeks max :S I put a mini hot water bottle in there for them, wrapped up in a blankie. I want to try the jumper, but wouldn't she kind of struggle and panic to get it off? I'm kind of hesitant to try it because i'm a bit scared to! :oops:

if she is used to been handled etc she should be ok yes she may find it strange and struggle a little while you put it on but once on it should be ok well ive always found they get used to it within a few minutes even if they did struggle when i first put it on ;)

put in loads loads and loads of hay and straw and i mean loads pack it in as they will soon eat some and move it about so you do need loads in there and put the hutch in a sheltered place, your covering them at night which is good that will keep the heat in and protect them and if you can put them in a shed or garage ( garage that is not used for cars ) and they should be ok yes a snuggle safe would help if you have one
the 10 week old mini lop will be getting cold so if you have some large thermal socks you can make her a little jumpers for her that will help keep her warm this does work i have used them in the past with winter babies ;)
or get a heat lamp to put on the outside of the hutch that will help too
im sorry your in this situation but it is your parents home and till you leave home have your own home and pay the rent and all the bills you must respect their home and respect their wishes and rules
good luck ann x

Do you by any chance have a pic of a jumper? I could use a big sock, do i just like make a tube kind of thing with two holes for the front legs? :S

well its the same thing saying her parents are been cruel is also saying she is been cruel by obeying her parents wishes which untill she owns her own home and is paying for her own home she has no choice i do understand where her parents are coming from they work hard for the home they live in and its their choice if they want to have rabbits in it destroying things causing damage and making it smell they dont want that so out they go im afraid ok maybe her rabbits are not causing any damage but i know what damage a rabbit can cause someone i know had a giant from me and it destroyed their £20.000 kitchen in a hour when they went shopping along with the flooring and skirting boards and of course insurance does not cover animal damage !!!
the end of the day its their home and well they have a right to say what and who they have it it ;)

I disagree. I'm assuming the OP is a child, and therefore does not have a say in what her parents decide to do. If her parents did not want the rabbits indoors they should never have let her bring them in in the autumn.

Anyway, we're just going round in circles now, so we'll leave it there.

Back