• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Persuading parents to let me keep rabbits as indoor rabbits?

zayna1

Warren Scout
So I have 2 rabbits, and want to keep them as indoor buns. I think it's nicer to have indoor buns, as they will be more friendly, and you can spend more time with them, like say you're walking past them, and you can play with them quickly and get back to what your doing :D

Here are the reasons they don't want them in the house: The cage will smell (even when I clean it a lot, they have had bad experiences with the urine-damaged hutch we have while it was in the house! it was the actual wood that smells,) I know a proper indoor cage won't smell if it's kept clean
The rabbits have chewed up loads of the brand new wallpaper! :oops: i feel so bad about that, my dad worked so hard :(
My mum generally hates animals. My cat is always bringing in live mice and he ends up letting them lose in the house and some we haven't been able to catch! :oops: so yeah she hates the animals....and always has haha
They don't want to spend like £100 on a cage. If we were to get a cage it would have to be really big, not those storage cube things because I would want a plastic base (hypothetically speaking lol) to ease cleaning! But I think it's mostly the fact that my mum really didn't want the rabbits in the first place. The agreement was that they'd be outside buns.

So I have 2 rabbits, and want to keep them as indoor buns. I think it's nicer to have indoor buns, as they will be more friendly, and you can spend more time with them, like say you're walking past them, and you can play with them quickly and get back to what your doing :D

Here are the reasons they don't want them in the house: The cage will smell (even when I clean it a lot, they have had bad experiences with the urine-damaged hutch we have while it was in the house! it was the actual wood that smells,) I know a proper indoor cage won't smell if it's kept clean
The rabbits have chewed up loads of the brand new wallpaper! :oops: i feel so bad about that, my dad worked so hard :(
My mum generally hates animals. My cat is always bringing in live mice and he ends up letting them lose in the house and some we haven't been able to catch! :oops: so yeah she hates the animals....and always has haha
They don't want to spend like £100 on a cage. If we were to get a cage it would have to be really big, not those storage cube things because I would want a plastic base (hypothetically speaking lol) to ease cleaning! But I think it's mostly the fact that my mum really didn't want the rabbits in the first place. The agreement was that they'd be outside buns.

Get a pen to pop them in and start litter training :) Use lino to put on the floor for ease of cleaning :)
Works a treat!

Ps. I purchased a huge pen from The Range yesterday for £40 and it's amazing :D

You could try training you're bunny's to have use a litter tray and then tell you're parents that the buns really do want to come in and they've gone through all the trouble of training just for her!! Hope it works.:D

see my older bun literally litter trained himself! He hasn't any accidents since he's been neutered, even before! bless him, and all I had to do was put a litter box in with him. However the little one uses the box most of the time, but she does randomly drop pellets! I think this could be marking territory? She is almost 10 weeks now....

at the end of the day untill you get your own home you have no say im afraid
its their home and if they dont want them in the house not alot you can do about it really im afraid
i am a big believer any pet that joins a family everyone on that family should agree to it so im supprised your mum has allowed it since she didnt agree but as you have said the agreememnt was they were outside bunnies so you should really stick to that agreement ;)
im guessing your young and the resposibility of the rabbits money wise is is on you parents so you should respect their views and do as they say and since they dont want to pay £100 for a hutch and you want a £100 hutch you better start thinking up a plan to get some money saved not sure how old you are but i suggest
babysitting - if your old enough
car washing
jobs around the house - not things you should be doing anyway like keeping your room tidy and your usual jobs but lets say the garage or shed need sorting say you will do it for £5 and wash up ( if its not your usual job ) every day or load dish washer £5 for the week, hoovering, oh there are loads of jobs that you could do for £5 a week
other little jobs you can do to get pocket money are if your old enough to do them
dog walking
cutting neighbours lawns
im sure you can think of others ;)
if you have a birthday coming up ask for money for gifts instaid of presents
from people who do buy for you
if you got money for christmas well you already have a good start if you havnt already spent it
ebay things you dont want or need any more
before you spend money think to your self do i really need this !
if you get pocket money save it dont spend it
if you get a clothing allowance ( some people do ) only spend it on what you need to no need to spend it for the sake of it ;)
hope that gives you some ideas
good luck
ann xx

I had a base of lino and then NIC cubes. That didn't smell. If you have lino and then a litter tray assuming they are neutered they will most likely go in the tray all the time.

i'd love to walk dogs! But people around here seem to not trust teenagers with their pets :S i guess its just the stereotypes, but hey :roll::rolleyes: I think i'll save up quietly and not ask for a while, and when I have enough I'll ask again haha. I just want them to be permanant indoor buns, as right now they're like constantly migrating lol

i'd love to walk dogs! But people around here seem to not trust teenagers with their pets :S i guess its just the stereotypes, but hey :roll::rolleyes: I think i'll save up quietly and not ask for a while, and when I have enough I'll ask again haha. I just want them to be permanant indoor buns, as right now they're like constantly migrating lol

but a advertisement in the shop windows of local pet shops and supermarkets etc that works i used to dog walk when i was younger and remember you can legally work a few hours a week so you could get a paper round or some sort of job i worked in a old peoples home when i was 14 doing laundry and making them cups of tea etc it was a good job but did have a few nasty supprises such as people forgetting to tell me when people had died and i was told to make them a cuppa :?
i also worked in a kennels where they bred show dogs and cats which i loved so that is something you could look into maybe there is a pet shop or kennels where you can get a weekend job at

Back