• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Litter that has turned into sand in cage

scoobylou

Young Bun
We recently bought cat litter that turns into sand when its urinated on to try to keep the cages cleaner & prevent smell however it has turned the cage into a sand pit & my rabbits are digging in it.
I just wandered whether it is safe for them & whether I should keep it like that because I know rabbits like to dig so its keeping them entertained but I don't want it to make them ill.

I'm not too sure if the litter is ok to use I'm afraid. What is the brand/name and did it say it was ok for rabbits? Maybe someone else might be able to help with this, I do know that some cat litters aren't good for rabbits but I'm not sure which ones. I use Carefresh which is paper based and I've had no problems with it, I've also given her another box with the carefresh in and hay on top and she loves to dig in that but I've had no problems with her digging in her actual litter tray that she uses for the toilet.

Do you mean the wood pellet litter that kind of goes crumbly when wet? Not the clumping litter?

i use a wood based litter that turns to a crumbley dust type when peed on.
£5 for a mahoosive bag from wilkos,
don't know if yours is safe, but if not, the one i have i find great :)

yeah its the wood based litter from wilkos, it says its safe for animals on the bag I'm just worried because my rabbits are now digging in it like sand & I don't know whether to clean the cage or leave it so they can dig

yeah its the wood based litter from wilkos, it says its safe for animals on the bag I'm just worried because my rabbits are now digging in it like sand & I don't know whether to clean the cage or leave it so they can dig

i would clean it, because it turns to the dust when it gets wet, so they are essentially digging in their own pee, which is kind of gross lol.

if you want to let them dig, you can make a digging box for them out of an underbed storage container and fill it with hay and treats so they can dig through it and throw it all around :)

how often do you change it? i have used the wood based pellet litter in the past but to be honest, as its changed daily its never hung around that long.

Back