• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I think my rabbit is dying

silverfox

Warren Scout
I am not sure what to do, there are no vets open in my area and I think my rabbit Jessica is dying. My son went to feed and water them and brought her in to tell us she wasn't moving. I wrapped her in a warm towel and you can see she is breathing but slowly, every so often she moves her paws but doesn't open her eyes. I have tried to give her some water with a syringe but she opens her mouth and pulls away. She is only three years old but it's windy outside and I thought she might of gotten cold so I thought I would warm her. Her breathing is really laboured and all I could do was try to make her comfortable. She's in the house at the moment but I have to keep the dogs from her.

To be honest I don't think she is going to last the night, does anyone have any advice. She's the rabbit in my picture.

I'm so sorry, there must be an emergency vet you can try.

http://www.yell.com/super/emergency...m=g&refcd=GO486T103116440s&tsacr=GO4520856918

Any of these close enough to get to? Or can you call someone out?

Also have you tried this: Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sending vibes for the poor thing. x

sorry to hear this.

You should phone your Vets and they should be able to give you the emergency vets number.
Usually when you phone them out of hours a message is played on the phone with a phone number of the emergency vets to call.

All vets provide emergency out of hours, if you phone your normal vet number there should be a recorded message telling you the number to phone.

If you are entitled to treatment from the PDSA they have an emergency out of hours vets too.

Last edited:
Sending vibes for her. As others have said, there should be an emergency vet facility in your area. Is she an elderly rabbit?

Thanks for replying, I have tried emergency vets but the only problem is the travel. I don't drive and the only person within my family with a car has gone away for the weekend. The nearest emergency vet for me is over 10 miles away.

My other 2 rabbits are fine and show no signs of anything. I am just hoping she will last the night and I get her to the local vets tomorrow morning.

Thanks for replying, I have tried emergency vets but the only problem is the travel. I don't drive and the only person within my family with a car has gone away for the weekend. The nearest emergency vet for me is over 10 miles away.

My other 2 rabbits are fine and show no signs of anything. I am just hoping she will last the night and I get her to the local vets tomorrow morning.

taxi. They have a legal obligation to let you in the taxi with an animal going to the vets.

I have tried to get help, but there is no-one. I can't get a taxi as I have no money to get one, especially to pay for a 10 mile trip. To be honest when I asked for help with friends and neighbours no-one seemed interested, I actually had one say I should just let her die so he could put her in a pie. (Sick Individual)

My vet is walking distance and I can get her there in the morning.

It sounds like she is unlikely to make it to morning. It also sounds like she may suffer if you don't get her seen.

I would help if I was nearby, but I'm not.

I have tried to get help, but there is no-one. I can't get a taxi as I have no money to get one, especially to pay for a 10 mile trip. To be honest when I asked for help with friends and neighbours no-one seemed interested, I actually had one say I should just let her die so he could put her in a pie. (Sick Individual)

My vets come out the their actual practice in an emergency.

Re a taxi you could stop on the way home to get cash out to pay them I am sure they will understand in an emergency

Are there any buses or trains you could use?

I would get a taxi its not worth risking your buns life and health for you can as said stop at a cash point on the way there they do that

I really hope you can get her some help before tomorrow, sounds like she is suffering :(

She needs a vet ASAP! I doubt she will make it if you wait til tomorrow :cry:

Im sure someone around could help you... a neighbour? family? Friends? have you tried them all?

Or public transport.. a train or a bus..

Or a Taxi.

Have you phoned the emergency vets? See if they can help?
Maybe they can send someone to you.

Is your rabbit vaccinated against myxi and VHD? I agree with everyone who has posted so far your bunny really needs to see a vet today as it doesn't sound like she'll still be here tomorrow.:( Hopefully we're wrong but it sounds like she's in a bad way.

OP says she's only 3. :(

Sorry, I missed that bit. :oops: Hope you can get her to the vet. I do sympathise with your situation as I don't drive and would be dependent on a lift or taxi in your situation. Have her symptoms remained the same since you first posted?

Back