• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Weepy eye?

nessar

Warren Veteran
my bunny's left eye looks like its run a bit, the fur is wet around it. Will take a picture in a sec...

Anyone know what it could be?

I know most likely cause is teeth but he had them checked at time of neuter which was only in november, and they were reported to be fine.

His front claws are getting a bit long, could this be it?

Maybe I'm over-reacting but I'd like to be sure...

ETA there is no 'gunk' or anything like that

Starbuck gets weepy eyes - with him it is dental and related to overgrown tooth roots which can press on the tear duct. He had to have tear duct flushes and drops for a bit as well as regular dentals but both have settled down. November is 3-4 months ago now so it is possible he needs a dental again.

ETA: if he has a bunny friend hopefully the bunny friend will lick his eyes clean and prevent them getting sore and sticky. If not we used to bathe Starbuck's eyes, or rather the fur around them, with cotton wool and lukewarm water, then apply vaseline to stop them getting sore.

Here are pics... first one is of good eye, second is of weepy eye, its hard to see. sorry theyre not great but he's very figetty today!

good eye:
SAM_0611.jpg

weepy eye:
SAM_0610.jpg

Starbuck gets weepy eyes - with him it is dental and related to overgrown tooth roots which can press on the tear duct. He had to have tear duct flushes and drops for a bit as well as regular dentals but both have settled down. November is 3-4 months ago now so it is possible he needs a dental again.

ETA: if he has a bunny friend hopefully the bunny friend will lick his eyes clean and prevent them getting sore and sticky. If not we used to bathe Starbuck's eyes, or rather the fur around them, with cotton wool and lukewarm water, then apply vaseline to stop them getting sore.

he doesnt have a bunny friend :( I'm in the process of trying to find him one. He couldnt have gone from good teeth with no problems to a dental bunny in a couple of months could he? I really hope not :(

It doesnt look sore as you can see, should I still bathe it? He doesnt really mind me touching his face so it wouldnt stress him out, but I'd be scared he'd move suddenly and I'd get the cloth in his eye....

he doesnt have a bunny friend :( I'm in the process of trying to find him one. He couldnt have gone from good teeth with no problems to a dental bunny in a couple of months could he? I really hope not :(

It doesnt look sore as you can see, should I still bathe it? He doesnt really mind me touching his face so it wouldnt stress him out, but I'd be scared he'd move suddenly and I'd get the cloth in his eye....

Dont worry, Starbuck didnt have one for a long time either, until we managed to get him one. I dont really know the answer hun, it could be an infection of the tear duct or it could have just got blocked for some reason for all I know. All I can say is what I experienced with Starbuck.

It doesnt look red from that picture, but it can still get sore from being wet all the time. All you need to do is get clean lukewarm water and soak a cotton wool ball in it, then gently dab on the fur around his eye. Then just a very small amount of vaseline, it just prevents it from getting sore and matted.

Hope you find out whats causing it soon. Sorry cant give more advice. Maybe Jacks Jane or someone else will be along to offer better advice.

If you take him to the vets they will give you some eye drops/ flush his tear ducts. :wave:
I had a bunny with the same problem on and off, until his g/f started cleaning his eye for him. He never had dental problems.:)

Charlie had a really bad runny eye when i first got him home, he had 2 eye flushes and antibiotic drops and in the end i demanded xrays, we found out it wasnt his tooth roots they were fine, he had been left with a really deep infection because the previous owner who didnt want him had left it and hadnt bothered to get him treatment :roll:

Anyway, after a course of oral antibiotics, eye drops and lots of care he has been fine now since last june/july time, he has never bothered him since. xxx

Oh I really hope its just a runny eye and not a symptom of a deeper problem... :(

As I have bathed it I'm going to leave it for a day or two to see if it weeps again. Im hoping something has just irritated it. If it does it again we'll be off to the vets. They already think I'm a hypochrondriact after I made them check his breathing 3 times and I kept ringing them with panicked reports of his wee/poo when he wasnt drinking (but was eating) after neutering. :oops:

If it is just a weepy eye with no real cause, do you think it will effect his insurance? He isnt yet but Im going to get him insured asap anyway but Im wondering if they will not cover any eye problems now because of this :( petplan if it makes a difference.

Back