• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Member: All my bunnies atm :)

BexPets

Warren Scout
Being labelled as ''the backyard rescue centre which went wrong'' we have an inordinate amount of these lovely animals. That said, we are trying to rehome 2 and a further 4 are reserved: this should comfortably leave us with 11 rabbits... that is, until we find another one needing a home :)
This has been requested by Mischief and Tinker's Mum on this thread: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?p=4374381#post4374381

Our first two bunnies - from a breeder - were TigerLily and Rolo:
RoloandTigerLily.jpg

A close up of Rolo:
Rolo.jpg

Next we got a netherland dwarf house rabbit from the adoption centre... but sadly he died of a virus. We got him to the vets early morning and he was put on a drip, but he had a horrible case of green diarrhoea that had developed alarmingly fast over 12 hours. R.I.P Monty.

The next three were from a family who kept these three large Rexes in a box-like cage, and rarely cleaned or let them out of their hutch. They also thought it would be appropriate to breed from the brother and sister - although the babies were so badly looked after that only 1 out of 6 survived. As soon as we found out about them - they belonged to the head of chemistry at school - we offered to take them in and they brought round the cage and the un-tame rabbits. Their claws were incredibly long, their hutch was quickly discarded, and they were terrified of people.
Duchess, Dinah and Dimples:
RexOtterstogether.jpg

Dimples enjoying his weekly run around the garden:
Dimplesstanding.jpg

Dimples.jpg

We soon seperated the daughter from the parents, planning to put her with the female we had just rescued. Except... Mistletoe wasn't a female.
Dinah and Dino:
DinahandDino.jpg

Her other baby Deliah - recently gotten by a fox. R.I.P my lovely.
Deliah.jpg

The next rabbit was 'Mistletoe'. The owners didn't know the gender, age, breed nor had they ever named the rabbit anything apart from 'doughnut'. I credit that he had sufficient hutch and run space, but what use is that when he was never held or cleaned out ? They estimated he was roughly 4 when he got him at Christmas, and I missexed him to be female and we called him Mistletoe.
Minstrel.jpg

Following his incident with Dinah, he was quickly renamed Minstrel.

Next up were two netherland dwarf house rabbits from the adoption centre. After 2 days the girls fought violently and we had to take the 9 week old baby to the vets for an eye injury. Intensive medicine administration followed over the next week, and her eye was saved.
They were kept seperately and the attacker was rehomed (Button - she was actually a very placid rabbit on her own) with a young male (Bobby), to a family with children aged between 10 and 15, who had hutches for giant rabbits and our little bunnies were... dwarfed by the size :)
Mitten went on to get pregnant when escaped in next door's garden -.-. We were not pleased. She had 5 babies - Frankie, Fidget, Benjie, Muddle and Niblet. She was kept with Muddle, the rest were rehomed, and eventually she and Muddle were rehomed to a suitable family who could give the more attention.
NibletandMitten-1.jpg

BenjieandNibletBabies-1.jpg

Next was Kimble and Bobby:
KimbleandBobby.jpg

Their owners were a single mother with two children - 4 and 7 - who lived in a council flat and thought it would be cute to breed rabbits. She had no guilt about giving them to a rescue centre, and we stepped in to take the two boys. (She is our neighbour's daughter and a lovely person - for the record. We were not going to report her.)
The boys both had neutering appiontments. Bobby went to live with Button - see above - in the giant hutches.
Kimble, the white one, was due to be introduced to Deliah... but we realised he was incredibly aggresive towards any other female, spayed or not, and have decided to keep him on his own near other rabbits.

And then, unfortunetely, was Duchess's litter.
Might I add that Duchess and her brother - and infact any relative - are the most adept escape artists. They are incredible. They always manage to escape when other, smaller bunnies having lived in the same place for weeks have not. She managed to get pregnant with a male we were looking after, and here's the result:
Sleepingbunnies.jpg

Yoda:
Ugly.jpg

She had six healthy babies: we successfully rehomed 3, and kept the remaning 3. They will be castrated and vaccinated, and are currently 4 months old.

I think that's it for now :)
We have a large, white lop coming in soon, and I'll post information about him - although we've decided to keep him long term.

Thanks for reading... I think I went on a bit!

Becky.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this! :D Must have took some time :shock: They are all absolutely adorable :love: I love Delilah and the 2 buns sharing a water bottle, how sweet?! :love: Not to mention those adorable bunny feet. :D So sorry about Monty :cry:

Very cute bunnies..lovely pics and well done for trying to help so many

but really you must up your security..no rabbit has ever managed to escape here and one accidental litter is enough for anyone to make sure it doesn't happen again..,otherwise you are not helping to rescue but becoming part of the problem:(

I know :( my sentiments exactly. It's just difficult when they're missexed or the cages they come in aren't 100% safe...

We've kept half of all the babies that were born and personally found homes for the rest.

Thanks x

Aww thank you xx

Cleaning day today! I think I'm going to spend the next 7 hours cleaning hutches.
Oh well - it has to be done :)

Look at these gorgeous feetsies!

BexPets said:
I know my sentiments exactly. It's just difficult when they're missexed or the cages they come in aren't 100% safe...

I guess as soon as they change hands, that's your responsibility though. But that will all likely come with experience and knowledge :)

It's great to see your crew and welcome to the forum. :)

Aww thank you xx

Cleaning day today! I think I'm going to spend the next 7 hours cleaning hutches.
Oh well - it has to be done :)

i hope the wind is calmer than it is here! :lol: i need to do mine too and the hay will just blow around the garden! :lol:

Yes the feet are lovely :)

I know.. I know.. It's is my fault entirely. I have to take the blame. The rabbits are all my responsibility and I have no excuse.

To be honest, one of the males was in his run and dug down, across three metres, and up into the females run, impregnated them, and went back again. I think not only does he deserve a medal for enthusiam and accuracy, but he also deserved to have his manlihood removed when he came of age. Naughty boy ;)

Ahuh :)

He looked very proud of himself... but the female was very surprised. Imagine a head suddenly appearing in the bottom of your run, and a completely new rabbit popping out!

It's great that you're trying to help so many. We've rarely had little bun's and no bun has escaped so far. (Minus my nephew running amock one weekend early last year)

We started that way, just helping the odd bun where we could. And now we have a lot of bunnies! :D :roll: :lol:

And my they are beautiful bunnies!

Yes the feet are lovely :)

I know.. I know.. It's is my fault entirely. I have to take the blame. The rabbits are all my responsibility and I have no excuse.

To be honest, one of the males was in his run and dug down, across three metres, and up into the females run, impregnated them, and went back again. I think not only does he deserve a medal for enthusiam and accuracy, but he also deserved to have his manlihood removed when he came of age. Naughty boy ;)

Okay this had me in creases! :lol:
Try putting chicken wire, or preferably a stronger wire along the bottom of your runs to prevent digging. x

We tried the chicken wire for a while, but with 10 runs that constantly have to be moved around it was really tricky.

Haha thanks x

We do try. Mistletoe - back when we had only 6 outside rabbits... oh the memories :') - used to walk around the garden for 10 minutes every morning before we left the house. He hopped back into his hutch when I put the hay in there. It was on one of these walks that a female I hadn't realised had escaped (Dinah) came out of the bushes to meet him. They had a long conversation of nuzzling and even started grooming :) Then they wandered off in different directions. This is what led me to confirm that he was female, until he walked after her at a leisurely pace and proceeded to mate, calmly and slowly. Then he groomed her for a while and licked her ears, and by this time I reached them and picked him up and told him off.
We're now introducing them as neutered friends, and it's working very well.

We tried the chicken wire for a while, but with 10 runs that constantly have to be moved around it was really tricky.

Haha thanks x

We do try. Mistletoe - back when we had only 6 outside rabbits... oh the memories :') - used to walk around the garden for 10 minutes every morning before we left the house. He hopped back into his hutch when I put the hay in there. It was on one of these walks that a female I hadn't realised had escaped (Dinah) came out of the bushes to meet him. They had a long conversation of nuzzling and even started grooming :) Then they wandered off in different directions. This is what led me to confirm that he was female, until he walked after her at a leisurely pace and proceeded to mate, calmly and slowly. Then he groomed her for a while and licked her ears, and by this time I reached them and picked him up and told him off.
We're now introducing them as neutered friends, and it's working very well.

I remember reading somewhere a while back that if two rabbits are happy to 'mate' they're more likely to bond once neutered. Which does make sense.

I'm so happy we use our large yard. With a nice sturdy cement floor. I don't want to use the garden as the neighbours have a little terrier and the next people along just let their dog roam the street :roll:

Back