• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outdoor bunny to Indoors??

vikivk

New Kit
Hi there

I am new to this site and hope I have started this thread in the right place.

I need some advice. I have a year old dwarf lop who has always been an outdoor bunny but due to having to move out of our house soon (with a garden) and into a flat (with no garden) I was wondering if we could change Thumper into an indoor bunny? If so, how would we supplement the grass he has been eating for nearly a year? He would always have space to run around and on summer/longer days I could maybe take him to my mums garden to be outside all day. I really do not want to put him up for adoption but I also want whats best for him but obviously if I can keep him then thats perfect :)

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Vicky

Hi Vicky. Personally I think when you just have the one bun, you enjoy them a lot more as a free range house bunny. They're like a dog or a cat, without all the annoying perks of a dog or a cat :oops:.

You can buy trays of grass which you can always put down. Most flats tend to have a yard at least, even if shared so you may be lucky enough to fill a few plant pots with grass and dandelions as well as other edible plants.

An outdoor rabbit can easily adjust to being inside, spring is an ideal time for changing them either way. He will moult a lot when first moved in. Please ensure he does not over heat. Maybe keep him in a colder room such as a kitchen, or bathroom, or even hallway and turn off the heating in there and as the weather improves he'll slowly adjust.

You can also buy redigrass, I've never bought this before personally. :oops:
There's also the herbage hay from burgess excel, and then of course by giving him lots of hay too. I think your bun will enjoy his new lease of life. House Rabbit's are so wonderful. :love:

Thank you so much for the info! You have put me at ease now knowing I won't have to put him up for adoption :)

Thank you so much for the info! You have put me at ease now knowing I won't have to put him up for adoption :)

heck if the flats big enough you may be interested in adopting another bun for him. Watching two buns bond together is a seriously beautiful joy. :love:

I think it will be fine. He might be a bit scared at first but he will adapt. Make sure he has peace and quiet while he settles in and give him the same things in his cage he has had outside so it feels familiar.

I would suggest that you litter train him if he isnt already. My Barney is currently an indoor bun after starting off outdoors (he is poorly) and is now fine. If you have hard floors though I would get some non-slip rugs so he can jump etc. Even if its not a big area.

Give him lots of cuddles during the change over so he knows that he is still with you and you are looking after him and everything is ok :)

Back