• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what sort of vet leaves an answer phone message your bunny did not make it

Barn Yard Bunnies

Staff member
It was on tuesday night, only dared to listen to it after some wine tonight, my partner was the one who took the message.

I am so angry now. What person, vet or not just leaves a messages your loved bunny did not make it.

We were out doing our weekly shop including food for our bunnies. They had his mobile number.

Why ?

I feel so angry. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Guilty too. What if Nancy was with the wrong vet ? Maybe my sweetie could still be here.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry :( RIP little bun.

Sadly my bunny also lost his life and the vet was just as inconsiderate :( He at least phoned, raved about how well the op had gone, but he didn't survive it. :? How he considered that 'well' I will never know.

I'm so sorry :( RIP little bun.

Sadly my bunny also lost his life and the vet was just as inconsiderate :( He at least phoned, raved about how well the op had gone, but he didn't survive it. :? How he considered that 'well' I will never know.

What a complete ****. So sorry. You wonder if they took any human and animal feelings into account. Cause they certainly get enough money. Grrrrrrr Dont care about the money but their attitude.

Oh gosh, I'm so sorry :( My vet, Katherine would never do such a thing! When my Pumpkin died last year, Katherine gave me huge cuddles and cried with me.
I'm so sorry about your bun :( Massive cuddles xxxx

I'm so sorry. I would certainly write a letter of complaint - it wont bring bunny back but it will tell them how to treat grieving families in future. xx

I'm really sorry you found out that way. :( It must be hard for the vet in cases like that though. Do they wait and phone back and risk your anger at not knowing, or leave a message. Tough call.

Thats awful!!
I lost my boy 3 weeks ago and phoned my vet to let them know.. 2 days later I recieved a beautiful, hand writted card from the vet and the nurses, saying how sorry they were etc... thought that was really nice.

I am so sorry you lost your bunny but the way you were told is totally unacceptable

Please write a letter of complaint

That's dreadful :( I would definitely write a letter of complaint in the hope it will make them rethink these kind of situations.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I'm sorry for your loss - I'd write to the practice manager to say how you feel/felt about the situation.

My vets were so good when our dog Jed died - over the years he had several operations and they had all our mobile numbers as the vet said he wanted to speak to us after each op. Know it's different at all vets.

When he died they sent a card saying what a wonderful dog Jed had been, and sent details of counselling services locally.

Sorry you have been in such an awful situation:(

This whole thread has brought tears to my eyes. Sorry for your loss.

When you feel you can, please write a letter of complaint, it is completly unacceptable to leave a message like that. They should of tried every number they had for you and if they had to leave a message then it should have been carefully worded to ask you to call as soon as you received the message.

Last edited:
Sorry for the loss of your little bun.

We are really lucky to have an excellent vet ans I am sure you know not all vets are like that...

Do you think you might consider finding another practice or is there a different vet in the same practice with a better bun-side manner? I hope so for you and your family.

Vets are getting better and better training with bunnies so there are choices out there.

Oh gosh, I'm so sorry :( My vet, Katherine would never do such a thing! When my Pumpkin died last year, Katherine gave me huge cuddles and cried with me.
I'm so sorry about your bun :( Massive cuddles xxxx
What a lovely woman. If only more vets could be sensitive. He knew I was very very anxious, in fact I am not sure he intially took me seriously, because I took her back 2 times after the first consultation. And who ever was on the reception desk phoned me and said your partner is late and I said no he wasn't he was asked to arrive at 9.30 pm to pick up Sunshine, Nancy's companion. He said it was just one of those things, many rabbits have respiratory problems and they go down hill fast. Well I find it weird at about 5 I was told Nancy was fine and could come home the next day, over an hour later had taken a turn for the worst and by about 7 pm had passed away.

Am new to the area, was the only vets recommended to me by a neighbour. But not using again. Will go much further a field to one I have heard about in Twickenham. Mind you this guy also comes recommended on one of the rescue websites.

Thanks for your support.

Back