• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting over the loss of a bun

freklybird

Young Bun
:cry: we lost our beautiful buck Stew last week, we are all so sad but dont know if his ladybun is? They were both rescue buns we got her first then the local bunny centre bonded her with him. We sought a mate cos even tho she was a single bun she had dogs for company in her previous home and we didnt want her to be lonely. Apparently in all the years the centre lady has been bonding buns they were the hardest to do as Cassie is so cantankerous. She doesnt seem that lonely but they would cosy up together and he would groom her all the time. Would we be doing the right thing getting another hunbun for her? The rescue centre lady has said she really wants us to get another but thinks because of cassies nature it may take a long time, would she be better off as a single bun (we cant get a dog). Also is it normal to mourn so much over a bunny to the level we are? we seem to be more affected than we were for a close relative? thanks Hx

I'm so sorry for your sad loss. Stew was obviously much loved by you all.

I can't help with the bonding question....I've never done it, but would just say that your grieving is perfectly normal....and thankfully on here, everyone understands.

I lost my beloved 8 years old Pepper to a fox last month and grieve every day. I go through his suffering and then cry myself silly. I'm no youngster either!

Grieve all you need, and for as long as you need.........it's perfectly normal after losing a dearly loved person OR pet.

Thinking of you x

I'm sorry to hear of your loss.
Stew was obviously a lovely bun & its very normal to mourn very deeply his loss.
Cassie sounds like a real character & I'm sure she would benefit from having a new husbun. You will know when she & yourselves are ready.
It sounds like the rescue you got them from would be the best starting place given that they know Cassie & you guys.
They may take a while to find that special bun but usually buns are happier with a partner, so it will be worth the wait.
But then again the perfect suitor may turn up quick smart.

I'm so sorry to hear you lost your bunny. It is natural to grieve (most of us have done it on here and understand where others do not).

I have a bunny just like your Cassie :lol: a little madam (Katy - but I love her). It took me some time to bond her with Homer but she adores him now and is always by his side when he is not well.

You and Cassie will know when/if it is the right time to bond again.

Hi there,

So sorry to hear about the loss of your little bunny called Stew. These little animals really touch our hearts and it hurts so much when they have to leave us.

Grieving over the loss is to be expected by you and Cassie. It is a painful time but, think of how much love and happiness you gave each other.

From past experiences the remaining bunny usually is happy to have a new friend. Once they have loved another bun, they will and do miss the company.
Give it time though. My new pairings have been around 2-4 weeks later. Everybun is different. You and Cassie will know when.

I don't know whereabouts you are in the Uk but, many rescues do a bonding service. In the case of Windwhistle Warren in Glos, contact Alice with all the existing bunnies details. Alice will think which bunny would be best suited for Cassie and then lets Cassie chose her new friend.
So one bunny goes to WW and all being well......two come home.!!!!!!! :love: Perfect.

This arrangement takes the stress out of it for you, and Cassie is matched up with a perfect partner.

You are obviously a very caring person and deeply upset by the passing of Stew. It does get easier.

Take care.

So sorry to hear you're loss. I agree with Mrs. Bunnykins, It does get easier as time goes. Hope you feel better soon.

Freklybird and Pepperpot so so sorry to hear about Stew and Pepper, its always hard. I lost my Nancy on Tuesday night so am grieving to. Everyone here has been great.

I am still crying all the time and I am not a young anymore either.

So take care of yourselves. Thinking of you. xxx

Thank you to everyone with your kind words and advice (this is where I admit I've just been shedding a few more tears for our cheeky rascal). Its good to know that its OK to wait a few weeks before trying to get a husbun as I didnt know if you needed to do it straight away, in case she would always reject a new beau. Our bunny rescue centre has 40 buns on a waiting list to come in; some thing I found really sad but on a positive K says there must be one suitable for Cassie amongst them and she's willing to try and bond her again.
Thank you again everyone Hx

So sorry for your loss and I can completely understand how you feel. I lost my beloved bun a month ago and still I cry myself to sleep most nights. It's unbelievable how attached you become Binky free Stew. xx :cry::cry:

Back