• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ear clicking?

Fifibutton

Wise Old Thumper
When I stroke my lop, Maisie's ears, I sometimes stroke them into an up postion if that makes sense.. I do it gently and she has never seemed to mind. However today I noticed a faint clicking noise (almost like bone clicking) when I stroke one ear. Again, she does not seem to mind but I am a bit worried about the clicking. Is it normal? Its a bit like the click a creaky knee might make?

Should I get her to the vets or is this something all lops have? I do the same with my uppy eared buns but have never had this clicking.

Could she be grinding her teeth? If that's the case then it means she's completely enjoying the fuss :)

If it's a slightly 'wet' noise, it could be pus or excess wax in the ear canal. Have look down her ears with a torch and have a good sniff to see if they smell funny.

If it is actually coming from her ear then a Vet check is needed. Ear clicking can occur if their is pus in the ear canal xx

She is definatly not purring or grinding her teeth.

Abby, there is no smell and the clicking is not wet, its actually quite crisp and clear. I did shine a torch down her ear. She was very wriggly but as far as I can see there is no pus or wax. However I did think I could see some dirt in the ear canal. It almost looked like when a dry bunny poo is mashed into the ground if that makes sense.

Jane I'm certain it is her ear but I think its the base of the ear where it joins the head. I will be phoning the vet on Monday as she does not seem to be in pain, nor is her apetite affected. However I have an otoscope at my parent's house so will get my mum to bring it tomorrow so that I can see deeper.

Thank you for all the advice. I hope its nothing serious.

What would pus in the ear canal signifiy, Canker or mites or something more serious like pasturella?

Last edited:
Pus in the ear canal would indicate infection. Possibly secondary to mites.
A swab from the ear canals would identify exactly what bacteria are involved, Pasteurella and Pseudomonas being the most likely suspects in my experience.

If it is infection then choosing the correct abx (both topical and systemic) at the outset is important.

Pus in the ear canal would indicate infection. Possibly secondary to mites.
A swab from the ear canals would identify exactly what bacteria are involved, Pasteurella and Pseudomonas being the most likely suspects in my experience.

If it is infection then choosing the correct abx (both topical and systemic) at the outset is important.

What in your opinion are the best abx? I know they aren't really the best meds for buns. My vet is quite rabbit savvy and he always takes my thoughts on board.

What in your opinion are the best abx? I know they aren't really the best meds for buns. My vet is quite rabbit savvy and he always takes my thoughts on board.

The 'best' will be identified from the swab. Which abx to use depends on what bacteria are involved and what abx said bacteria are sensitive to:)

I've had good results from using a combination of baytril or depocillin and chloramphenicol drops for more minor infections.

By far the best antibiotic for tough infections (in my experience) is Zithromax. Metronidazole is also supposed to be good though.

Thanks ladies. My otoscope is broken :evil: So I can't have a better look but shall phone the vet tomorrow.

Clicking

When I stroke my lop, Maisie's ears, I sometimes stroke them into an up postion if that makes sense.. I do it gently and she has never seemed to mind. However today I noticed a faint clicking noise (almost like bone clicking) when I stroke one ear. Again, she does not seem to mind but I am a bit worried about the clicking. Is it normal? Its a bit like the click a creaky knee might make?

Should I get her to the vets or is this something all lops have? I do the same with my uppy eared buns but have never had this clicking.

Hi did you find out what itn was my rabbit has the same thing :(

Back