• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Angora bun from auction, runny nose. Ideas?

Zahirre

Warren Veteran
Fiddlesticks :) as we have called her is one of the buns from the auction today. Had terrible matting all over and as a result, poop was sticking to her bottom.
Have just managed to trim her all over and she is the most tame, content little bunny I've ever held!
Problem though, she has a bit of a runny nose. Now, I'm not sure if it's runny, runny but it's certainly wet. She's pooping fine... HUGE relief and they are lovely large golden poops. Her breathing seems ok to me, no rasping etc. She's alert and jumping about fine with no other obvious problems...

Ideas about the runny nose, or am I being paranoid?

I am quarentining them, all 4 that I got today are in the living room in cages/pens and my own buns are in the kitchen in cages/pens and hand-washing is being done between each lot. Is this ok?

Meghanne xx

Could be snuffles or pasturella as Breeze said could be stress. Is it def her nose not her chin?

Could be snuffles or pasturella as Breeze said could be stress. Is it def her nose not her chin?

Hmmm... I'll recheck to see. I'm sure it was her nose. May well be stress related though. There's no sign of breathing problems and she's been hopping about quite happily tonight.

I would say it's too early to tell, given she has most likely come from hellish conditions it's possible it is stress related, I'd be looking at assessing over a week at least, god only knows what the poor little things have been through, give it some time to let them settle and of course a vet check, but, I'd give them all a few days to relax first personally :wave:

I would say it's too early to tell, given she has most likely come from hellish conditions it's possible it is stress related, I'd be looking at assessing over a week at least, god only knows what the poor little things have been through, give it some time to let them settle and of course a vet check, but, I'd give them all a few days to relax first personally :wave:

Thanks Vicki,

Shall give it a few days. Will book them all in at the vets for next week. Grey Angora bun has got rather large boy bits so am worried about his age and any possible infections etc he could have so am booking him in for castration quite quickly :D

Thanks Vicki,

Shall give it a few days. Will book them all in at the vets for next week. Grey Angora bun has got rather large boy bits so am worried about his age and any possible infections etc he could have so am booking him in for castration quite quickly :D

Awww I dread to think, he may have been a breeding buck? Your vets will give them a good check over, I hope it's nothing major for you and them, sounds like they deserve some happiness and relaxation now.:wave:

Well done for getting them,,and Fiddlesticks is a great name:D

Re quarantine..as these bunnies came from unknown place and conditions..are not likely to have been vaccinated
then you really should put several rooms distance between them and your own..also changed clothes between them and your own..
A vet strength disinfectant should also be used

Agree the runny nose could be stress..or if previously kept outside bringing them into a heated house can affect a rabbits breathing..

Also ask vet to palpate for signs of babies..as BYBs for some strange and cruel reason , seem to mate up their stock before selling them off:cry:

Last edited:
i do hope you are keeping these rwbbits you got at the auction far away from your own because you could have brought anything into you bunnies enviornment
yes i know why you did it and well done but please quarentine for a month and i mean quarentine change clothes before going to you own etc as these poor babies could have a number of illnesses sounds like this one has pastrella which is a killer and spreads by close contact and the discharge http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasteurella and rabbits do die from this so it is very serious
i say quarentine for a month to make sure myxi and vhd are not going to be a problem
i also hope that these babies are not going to be a money pit for you as they may require alot of vet treatment i would get all of them on free insurence before the first trip just in case
its great that you have rescued them it really is i may sound negative in the post but please be carefull id hate to think you have brought something nasty home with you i am keeping my fingers crossed you are lucky and all is well with them :love:
oh and we so do need pics of these georgeous bunnies please :love:

i do hope you are keeping these rwbbits you got at the auction far away from your own because you could have brought anything into you bunnies enviornment
yes i know why you did it and well done but please quarentine for a month and i mean quarentine change clothes before going to you own etc as these poor babies could have a number of illnesses sounds like this one has pastrella which is a killer and spreads by close contact and the discharge http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasteurella and rabbits do die from this so it is very serious
i say quarentine for a month to make sure myxi and vhd are not going to be a problem
i also hope that these babies are not going to be a money pit for you as they may require alot of vet treatment i would get all of them on free insurence before the first trip just in case
its great that you have rescued them it really is i may sound negative in the post but please be carefull id hate to think you have brought something nasty home with you i am keeping my fingers crossed you are lucky and all is well with them :love:
oh and we so do need pics of these georgeous bunnies please :love:

Hi,

Unfortunately, my house isn't huge to it's difficult to keep them very far apart.
My own buns are staying in their pen for the moment and I'm not handling them for now. We are currently clearing space in the bedroom for the buns to go upstairs.
REW Angora's nose has stopped running this morning and she's eating/pooping and drinking fine.
Grey Angora male is also eating/drinking fine and is very lively.
The two babies (1 Nethie and the other is a REW Lionhead as I've now worked out) are also pooping, eating and drinking amazingly well.
Shall pop pics up later on this afternoon :)

xx

I would suggest that specific shoes/slippers should be used only for the quarentined buns room, to prevent anything being carried on your feet. Problem is carpet is hard to disinfect. Do you have spare lino? Or even sheets/blankets could help, they could be washed at high temp. You could use these to line the floor.

Wash not just hands but any part of your skin that has come into contact with the bunnies, arms, ankles etc. Wash/undress as soon as you leave or just before you leave the room, you dont want to transfer it to other parts of the house (doorhandles etc) and then accidently touch these then touch your own bunnies.

Hi,

Unfortunately, my house isn't huge to it's difficult to keep them very far apart.
My own buns are staying in their pen for the moment and I'm not handling them for now. We are currently clearing space in the bedroom for the buns to go upstairs.
REW Angora's nose has stopped running this morning and she's eating/pooping and drinking fine.
Grey Angora male is also eating/drinking fine and is very lively.
The two babies (1 Nethie and the other is a REW Lionhead as I've now worked out) are also pooping, eating and drinking amazingly well.
Shall pop pics up later on this afternoon :)

xx

glad all is going well did you manage to get quarentine sorted out ?
saw the pics they are georgeous :love:

Back