• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone want buy a bun for 50p??? U/D Matted hair pics

Zahirre

Warren Veteran
I bet that title got your attention, didn't it????

Well, it caught mine too!

I had a very distressed message from a member of RU today who needed help at Thirsk Auction Farmers Market. A bunny (Albino Angora) was apparently in a right old mess... matted fur, dirty bum - the works!

So I went to get her. No, we can't save them all and no, I don't agree with funding these sorts of auctions but I will do my best to save a distressed bun.

Now imagine it. A huge hall, with 1ft by 1ft wire cages all around. You have hens, geese, ducks, pigeons and ferrets on one side. You have buns on the other. The smell is nothing like you've smelt before. You have your hands in your pockets protecting every penny you have as traveller upon traveller passes by you. The noise is almost unbearable. Birds on all sides squaking so you can barely hear yourself.

Then you see the buns, no water, no food, a tiny amount of hay in some cages. Conti's squeezed into cages so they literally cannot move either way. Thankfully, the majority seem to be in ok health. Some however, are pregnant. Some, are matted, have dirty bottoms and raw bits. Then the auctioneer comes over and it begins.

'A pound, a pound! Any takers for a pound. No? Next one. 431, A pound, a pound. Sold. You get the one before for free.' Surely he can't be right? £1 for two buns? He can't be right, can he?

He was serious. 2 buns for £1. Guess who the majority of buyers were? Travellers! Guess what they were also buying!?! Ferrets. I wonder what these buns were for...

So, today I played God. I saved some buns. No, I can't save them all and no, I wouldn't even try. Yes, I funded the auction today but I won't be doing it again.
Instead, I am going to post pictures for you all to see. I am going to post pictures of the Angora's I have brought home and show you the horrendous state of them. Then, I need you all to help.

I intend to hit this as hard as I can. Sue has been trying for years but now, I think we need back up. I propose that we do something about it. Write to someone, everyone with pictures included.

I helped 4 buns today but there are hundreds who we can't help directly. We need to hit this hard. And we need to do it now.

Last edited:
Sadly i know exactly what you mean my auntie buys and sells rabbits at such places. Needless to say I have nothing to do with her :(

That's terrible. Aren't these "sales" inspected or regulated by anyone?

I doubt it. I seriously doubt it. This was worse than anything I have ever seen. The Burgess animal show was a haven compared to this. Heck, P@H is a haven compared to it.
Lots of DEFRA signs dotted about but who knows. I certainly doubt it. It's way below rabbit welfare standards of any sort.

That is so awful it made me cry. Where did they come from ? what is wrong with so many people. How can I help ? Unfortunately I am not working so cannot donate.

Sadly these auctions go on all over the country.

Intimidation by sellers and buyers often mean that these places go unregulated :cry::evil:

That is awful, how people can get away with it I don't know. :censored:
I could never go to a place like that, I would have to buy them all....

That is so awful it made me cry. Where did they come from ? what is wrong with so many people. How can I help ? Unfortunately I am not working so cannot donate.

They come from breeders. Every one of them.
Yes, these auctions do go on around the country, which is horrendous. But, I am going to do my best to fix it. Posters, petitions, everything will be going up around uni.
We can all do something by writing to these people. Pictures of the animals and the state of the auction rooms. The prices they go for. Anything.

i go these places often.not for enjoyment or pleasure.the fact i cannot stand to see animals suffer so i go around reporting all the ill or injured animals.:cry: im hated by alot of people that sell there.iv memorised alot of sellers numbers so know who puts what in.today there was a black rex with the most gorgeous eyes.her claws were that long she could hardly walk.id taken my clippers and did them.ok this was probably the wrong thing to do but i know alot of rabbits go to breeders so she would probably of been left like that.today i class as a good day.well,no it wasnt as dont agree with auctions but there was no ill or injured animals.i got verbal abuse of a lad of around 11 for called him a cruel s**t because he picked a rabbit up by its ears.you need a hard stomach and heart to enjoy these places.there was a neutered buck in today.gorgeous little thing,but if i got him them id be making things harder for myself.i just hope he went to a good hime :cry:

one thing,we have 3 animal welfare officers attend every auction which has improved things slightly

i go these places often.not for enjoyment or pleasure.the fact i cannot stand to see animals suffer so i go around reporting all the ill or injured animals.:cry: im hated by alot of people that sell there.iv memorised alot of sellers numbers so know who puts what in.today there was a black rex with the most gorgeous eyes.her claws were that long she could hardly walk.id taken my clippers and did them.ok this was probably the wrong thing to do but i know alot of rabbits go to breeders so she would probably of been left like that.today i class as a good day.well,no it wasnt as dont agree with auctions but there was no ill or injured animals.i got verbal abuse of a lad of around 11 for called him a cruel s**t because he picked a rabbit up by its ears.you need a hard stomach and heart to enjoy these places.there was a neutered buck in today.gorgeous little thing,but if i got him them id be making things harder for myself.i just hope he went to a good hime :cry:

You dont live far from my Auntie you probably go to the same places as her :(

yep theres chelford congleton and leek is the main one i attend.in chelford animals are padlocked in cages so you cannot handle them.at leek they are in boxes on the floor so any tom **** or harry can handle them.:evil: and they arent gentle.i was told i shouldnt be there once because i sat with a terrifed nethie girl strocking her on my knee.she relaxed abit but someone else wanted view her :evil:

yep theres chelford congleton and leek is the main one i attend.in chelford animals are padlocked in cages so you cannot handle them.at leek they are in boxes on the floor so any tom **** or harry can handle them.:evil: and they arent gentle.i was told i shouldnt be there once because i sat with a terrifed nethie girl strocking her on my knee.she relaxed abit but someone else wanted view her :evil:

Thats shocking :(

They come from breeders. Every one of them.
Yes, these auctions do go on around the country, which is horrendous. But, I am going to do my best to fix it. Posters, petitions, everything will be going up around uni.
We can all do something by writing to these people. Pictures of the animals and the state of the auction rooms. The prices they go for. Anything.

I wont even ask why they are used for breeding, breaks my heart.

My Nancy who passed away on Tuesday night, was used for breeding. She had a huge metal ring on her leg. It could never be removed. When I got her from a rescue centre 3 years ago she had a horrible mite infection, was the most nervous bunny, she never did stop shaking when picked up, but got better over the years. The conditions I was told she lived in was evil.

Please send me more details to help, I need to be pro-active. My partner works at a London uni so can get him to help too.

Show the pictures to the local MP and ask him or her to come along and see for themselves.

Get the local papers involved.

They come from breeders. Every one of them. Yes, these auctions do go on around the country, which is horrendous. But, I am going to do my best to fix it. Posters, petitions, everything will be going up around uni.

Awful people. :evil:
Is there anything we can do about it?

Back