• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Storage of hay

Rachie

Mama Doe
Okay, so since I'm moving out of my lovely house, with garage, into a flat with no garage, one of my dear friends has kindly said that I can store my hay in his shed

His shed isn't completely watertight though so I'm just wondering how suitable it will be. It doesn't flood or anything of the sort - he has parts of old cars in there that he loves more than his future wife - but their is some sort of moisture in there I suppose.

Will it be okay to put my hay in there or not? I'm thinking about just laying down a plastic sheet and having the hay on top.

Alternatively I can decant the hay into storage boxes I suppose?

Oh I'm not worried about the car pieces. They're probably cleaner than my kitchen! :lol:

More about the hay going off/festering etc

Why not keep the hay in a Wheeliebin inside the garage? :) xx

We bought a 240 litre wheeliebin from (( Here )) and it keeps hay clean and dry. You can fit a full bale in it.

My plan was to just have it on the floor

The shed doesn't floor or anything but like I say, moisture does get in there, so I was just worried about it affecting the hay? I can bag it up into bin bags but I thought that was a no go?

Why not keep the hay in a Wheeliebin inside the garage? :) xx

We bought a 240 litre wheeliebin from (( Here )) and it keeps hay clean and dry. You can fit a full bale in it.

It's going in a shed - it's in a garage now.

I'd keep it in his garage but he's restoring a classic car in there which involves welding and hay is quite flammable, apparently :p

I'm thinking I've not made my question clear;

Will there being moisture in the shed affect my hay? :p

wheelie bins are fab. A bit naughty but I told the council someone had nicked mine and they bought me a new one which now has my hay in it

It's going in a shed - it's in a garage now.

I'd keep it in his garage but he's restoring a classic car in there which involves welding and hay is quite flammable, apparently :p

Lol I'm easily confused! And yes - welding plus hay isn't good.

I'd still use a Wheeliebin. We plan to clear out our brick shed and join it up to the buns' current set-up somehow and their hay wheeliebin will go in the shed so we can be warm and dry when cleaning their litter tray out etc.

Never mind the moisture problem - if you have a full hay bale that's not contained it will get 'bloomin messy! We had to put our hay in the shed before our bin arrived and it got everywhere. :roll:

It still seems to be everywhere no matter how much we sweep up! The bin is great. And you get to choose a colour! :oops: (I picked yellow.....)

Hmmm I had two bales in one part of the garage then another two bales in separate part of the garage and the bits of hay covered the whole floor!

Back