PDA

View Full Version : Honest opinions on this for a rabbit set up

loppy ears
05-02-2011, 06:10 PM
I have this on order, however I have asked for a solid end and door, solid on one side, a smaller hole, and window on the kennel part. I am going to use some smaller sized mesh and mesh it on the inside of the run, so there will be two layers of mesh, the gaps along the bottom of the run are to allow the run to be washed out and I am going to attach some wood to block off the gaps, which can be removed for cleaning.

So please give honest opinions about whether this is going to be suitable as a set up.

http://www.ukgardenbuildings.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=34

molly35
05-02-2011, 06:13 PM
I love my kennel/run I feel much happier when I have to leave them in on horrible days as they have so much covered space compared to my old hutch/run as the run wasn't covered.

Heather&Bart-MyLittleBuns
05-02-2011, 06:14 PM
Looks fab! :D Is it just for a pair?

weeble
05-02-2011, 06:15 PM
Looks fab Im jealous

Grin
05-02-2011, 06:15 PM
Oooh - that looks like bunny luxury! :love:

loppy ears
05-02-2011, 06:16 PM
Looks fab! :D Is it just for a pair?

Yes - two mini lops.

We are waiting for a tree to be felled in our garden, then a base will be laid, I am told it will be done in the next few weeks, but with all the winds tree people are very busy.

Bunni_xx
05-02-2011, 06:23 PM
Honestly... I hate it

Only jokin'. I love it. It is FANTASTIC! :wave:

KarenM
05-02-2011, 06:51 PM
I think it'll be fab - lucky bunnies. :D

I was going to suggest that it would need some weather-proofing because otherwise the wind would blow right through the sides, but I see that you're having an enclosed side and end. :thumb:

Blackberry & Co
05-02-2011, 06:56 PM
When I win the lottery that's the mind of thing I'll be getting for my boys :D

loppy ears
05-02-2011, 07:06 PM
When I win the lottery that's the mind of thing I'll be getting for my boys :D

I have been saving for a long time :)

But if I win the lotto I would send a couple down for your boys.

Blackberry & Co
05-02-2011, 07:11 PM
I have been saving for a long time :)

But if I win the lotto I would send a couple down for your boys.

And I'll do the same for you if I win!

Took me ages to save for the aviary panels, and we built it bit by bit until we finally had the roof on and could move the hutches in there. But it's always nice to be planning an upgrade!

Poppy <3
05-02-2011, 07:14 PM
Bloomin nora !! what lucky buns you have, amazing !:shock::shock::shock:

Nicola1
05-02-2011, 07:17 PM
:love::love: that looks amazing, lucky bunnies. I'm thinking of getting something like that when we can afford to buy a house with a garden for the 5 to go outside (bigger though obv as there's 5 of them!)

loppy ears
05-02-2011, 07:19 PM
And I'll do the same for you if I win!

Took me ages to save for the aviary panels, and we built it bit by bit until we finally had the roof on and could move the hutches in there. But it's always nice to be planning an upgrade!

I love your set up, along with others on this forum it inspired me to want something like a kennel set up for mine.

loppy ears
05-02-2011, 07:21 PM
Thank you for all replies everybody - I will post pics when it finally arrives.

helgalush
05-02-2011, 07:22 PM
Lucky bunnies - that looks amazing!! :D

happysaz133
05-02-2011, 07:35 PM
It looks amazing - I WANT!!! :love:

bunnymadhouse
05-02-2011, 09:32 PM
i have one of those ..or very very similar .. it gets used here as an all weather run area for the rescues ...

i love it ..best thing ive bought . :D

Hanlou
05-02-2011, 09:39 PM
Looks brilliant. :wave: xx

I sometimes wish I'd gone for a kennel type set-up instead of our current one but it seemed to get too complicated because I wanted different depths for the kennel bit and the run bit.

Your bunnies will love that! :D

SarahP
05-02-2011, 09:41 PM
What's the difference between a kennel set up and an aviary? Sorry if that's the dimmest question ever! :oops:

KarenM
05-02-2011, 09:48 PM
What's the difference between a kennel set up and an aviary? Sorry if that's the dimmest question ever! :oops:

I think kennels generally have a shed/enclosed area, a fully covered roof and usually a solid back wall.

With aviaries, they're usually much more open (mesh on all sides & top) and then you put your own roof on (corrugated plastic usually?). With these, you need a hutch inside for shelter.

Alfie and Bubbles actually live in an aviary but I call it a kennel because that's what I think it looks more like. :? :lol:

Blackberry & Co
05-02-2011, 09:58 PM
I think kennels generally have a shed/enclosed area, a fully covered roof and usually a solid back wall.

With aviaries, they're usually much more open (mesh on all sides & top) and then you put your own roof on (corrugated plastic usually?). With these, you need a hutch inside for shelter.

Alfie and Bubbles actually live in an aviary but I call it a kennel because that's what I think it looks more like. :? :lol:

Yes, an aviary tends to be more open.

Mine has clear corrugated plastic roof, and 3 sides have now been boarded in, and there are shutters on the front - so it doesn't look much like the original aviary now :lol:

Hanlou
05-02-2011, 09:58 PM

Well the ones I was looking at were like (( This )) (http://www.dogandrabbitruns.com/index.php?plu=0000000200&page_id=prod&desc=SINGLE%20KENNEL%20AND%20RUN%20-%20DOG%20KENNELS%20-%20VENTURE) - it would have been much easier to attach a gutter to and no faffing with the roof etc and fully enclosed.

But the space I had meant I had only got room for a 4ft deep (front to back) so far along and I really wanted more space than that for the main run. Which is why I went for an aviary (made out of aviary panels with an Onduline roof) and shed because my shed is 4x4 but my aviary is 9x5 - so the best of both worlds in some ways. :)

SarahP
05-02-2011, 10:59 PM
Ah, I see, thanks!

clarebear
05-02-2011, 11:01 PM
Wow.....wow....I want one! It's fantastic! Your lucky bunnies will love it! :D

parsnipbun
05-02-2011, 11:22 PM
I have this on order, however I have asked for a solid end and door, solid on one side, a smaller hole, and window on the kennel part. I am going to use some smaller sized mesh and mesh it on the inside of the run, so there will be two layers of mesh, the gaps along the bottom of the run are to allow the run to be washed out and I am going to attach some wood to block off the gaps, which can be removed for cleaning.

So please give honest opinions about whether this is going to be suitable as a set up.

http://www.ukgardenbuildings.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=34

We have something similar but specifically made for rabbits from Forsham Arks (called the Bunnington - based on the Orpington for cats but different). The 'hutch' part is raised with triple doors and a ramp - all built in - giving access underneath as well for maximum play room. the roof is double insulated and it has a 'step over' entrance to help stop buns dashing between your feet as you enter. the mesh is quite small and the whole thing is excellent.

I do not think they are up on their website yet but they can send you piccies and specs if you ask.
http://www.forshamcottagearks.com
See the forsham arks website. (