• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gastrointestinal Stasis

llepore

New Kit
I need help....My rabbit, Sweetheart, 7 years old, was diagnosed before Christmas with Gastrointestinal Stasis. She has been on motility drugs, fluids injected under her skin, gas meds, and critical care food for over 1 month now. Even though she's continued eating greens, she refuses to eat her pellets, straw and some treats that she loved before all this started. She has always had a high fiber diet, and plenty of exercise to I'm really not sure what prompted all this. Now, we have a new problem... she is losing hair around her hind legs and private area.....this may have started because of too much fluids and she was continually wet giving her urine burn. But, now she is still losing her hair and it just looks horrible. I'm at a loss as to what to do next. I'm bathing her and applying Calendula gel, but not sure what else to do. Any suggestions?

GI stasis is usually a symptom of another underlying problem. Has you Vet run any diagnostics ?

Is your Doe spayed ?

Really sorry to hear your bunny is so poorly. Glad she has you to look after her.

I agree with Jane that it would be good to know what is causing the two problems, and hope that you and your vet are able to run some tests for her.

Do you have a good bunny-savvy vet? If you are not sure, you could post a thread on here asking for a recommendation for your area?

PS with the urine burn it is important to keep bunny dry underneath so if you can put any absorbent bedding in the hutch or base then this may help to draw some of the liquid away from her bottom - I have been using vet bed but it needs constant washing and so have recently tried puppy training pads which make things a lot easier.

Back