• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Taking a bunny break in the future

vanessa

Warren Scout
I have decided to take a break from having bunnies after my two go to the bridge which hopefully won't be for some years yet! I do love bunnies, but I find indoor ones hard work (probably cos I let them free range upstairs!) and one has started to wee wherever he feels like (!) and with outdoor bunnies I feel like I have to supervise them running around for a couple of hours each day which then becomes a chore. I probably make owning rabbits more difficult than it needs to be cause I don't like them caged up and let them do what they want! I may get a couple of guinea pigs in future or be really lazy and just have a hamster for a while. Anyone else decided not to get more rabbits for a while after their current ones?

I have decided to take a break from having bunnies after my two go to the bridge which hopefully won't be for some years yet! I do love bunnies, but I find indoor ones hard work (probably cos I let them free range upstairs!) and one has started to wee wherever he feels like (!) and with outdoor bunnies I feel like I have to supervise them running around for a couple of hours each day which then becomes a chore. I probably make owning rabbits more difficult than it needs to be cause I don't like them caged up and let them do what they want! I may get a couple of guinea pigs in future or be really lazy and just have a hamster for a while. Anyone else decided not to get more rabbits for a while after their current ones?

I hope you change your mind in the future. How long have you had your buns for? If the one you have isn't neutered that wee's everywhere then that will change once he is. Can you not bring your outdoor buns in and then it won't seem so much of a "chore"?

I had a break after my first bun but that was because I went to 6th form and then onto University.

My bunnies are indoor ones, had them for 4 years, they were outside for the first 18 months, then came inside when I saw a fox on top of their abode one night. They are both spayed/neuteured and have been since I got them, think one has just got lazy! I have had house bunnies for 10 years in total and I think I just need a break for a while or until I have another house with a bigger garden for a shed/run or a garage that I could convert for bunnies.:)

I have eight - two indoors and six outdoors. I won't rehome any more when any go to the Bridge, but that is due to financial restraints. I think I will always have at least two buns though.

I do sometimes wonder if it is fair to keep buns when I see some of the gorgeous set-ups on here where buns have huge sheds and runs or free range of the whole house and human company most of the day. I work two jobs and mine have hutches in a fenced off part of my back yard and my indoor buns permanently free range in the kitchen. They don't get lots of toys (although fortunately they seem to prefer boxes) or lots of variety hays (but nom the hay they do get).

I know my buns are happy but I do sometimes think they would be happier in a more luxurious set-up with a stay at home Bunny Mummy or Daddy.

After Peggy died recently I did wonder why I put myself through the pain - but I always feel like that after I lose a beloved fur child - and the pleasure they give me far, far outweighs the pain.

When I'm feeling poorly and have to clean the outside buns in the pouring rain, I wonder why I do it too, but just looking at their little noses and bouncing bodies and the expression in their beautiful eyes soon gets rid of that thought.

I adore my buns and hope I will always be able to share my life with them.

i am always saying this......hmm how many did i not mean to have:oops:

with bertie im so worried about him passing that im scared to comb his feet etc in case he has a seizure....have sat and cried this year after losing my cat salem then my first ever rescue bun bif...then taking on 2 kittens...kept me busy!! then two adorable bunny sisters..one of which died after being here for 2 weeks...then merlin in hospital for a week with dodgy prognosis..bertie and his pasturella and bouts of innapetance/gi stasis..........

i sobbed and screamed....no more..my daughter said..i cant take this anymore...when each pet dies..no replacing them...esp bunnies....we always get sick ones:cry:

but i cant...we got merlin after saying that two years ago:oops:

each to his own..but i have never had outdoor bunnies..i admore all who do and care for them so well and love them so much.

me....im the first to admit if my buns had to live outside..i wouldnt be able to cope.......its why i have only house buns...:oops:

buns are fragile little things.....

I don't think I will get more to be honest. I love them dearly, and when they are gone I might end up getting another as I will miss them, but at the moment I have no plans for more.

I said I wasn't getting anymore after I lost Sooty.

I lasted 1 week and then somehow ended up with Louie :oops:

I dont think I would have anymore after ive lost my three. If I did then it would be a rescue already bonded pair that lived outside.

when mitzi died my second bunny, my nan said to me, you can get a dog now, i was upset i thought im a rabbit lover, your a dog lover, and wanted another bun, so got mowgli as rosie was on her own and after 9months she was getting lonely :love:

ive been with bunnies or 14years now, couldn;t see it any other way

ive had hamsters, but they didn;t live very long, and a guinea pig, but ound i his hutch, cage all the time, soo when he died i never bothered getting another piggie, i liked his squeks though

There are so many waiting for homes that I know I will have them for the rest of my life. There is no feeling better than adopting from a rescue, knowing that you have given two/three a new home and made space at the rescue too.

In 13yrs as an adult, of keeping rabbits I have never begrudged them 1 minute of my time. I know I will never have a 'show garden' but watching happy, healthy rabbits is so rewarding. :love::love::love::love:

Back