• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I cant believe whats happened

charl86

Alpha Buck
:cry:
I think it's time to face the fact I might not be able to keep my new little bunny girl, I've been having trouble bonding her and Sooty but things were very gradually improving, so I thought I'd take them both to my mum's to try bonding them at her house so that it was even more neutral. Anyway I got there a few nights ago and set them up in two seperate pens in the conservatory overnight ready to take them to a different room to bond them in the morning.
I came down in the morning to a disaster, during the night she must of pulled her pen apart at the back and squeezed down the tiny gap between her pen and the wall which led her straight into Sootys pen. At first I didn't notice as they were back in there seperate pens when I came down, but Sootys fur was everywhere then I noticed blood on his ear and after checking him over he had a little bite on the back of his neck, she has a bite mark near the back of her head too to so they must of been in together. We've been to the vets and Sooty's had a couple of stitches in his ear to help it heal, as well as baytril.
I'm so annoyed with myself for not making the pens more secure but she is so inquisitive and it makes it almost impossible to keep her cooped up. I suppose I should be thankful that she eventually went back to her pen an Sooty didn't follow as things could of been alot worse. I honestly thought that the injuries would be alot worse seen as there was nobody to pull them apart.
Anyway I think Im kidding myself abit now for thinking bonding could still work between these two. Niether seemed afraid of the other after the fight, they were both acting completely normal but I know a fight like this will be hard to get over. My head (and most of my family) are saying I shouldn't keep her but the thought of giving her away is breaking my heart, I cant help but well up when I think about it, she's really bonded with me even if she's not bonded with Sooty, and I cant bear the thought of giving her up, especially as I know this would be the perfect home for her, she's so energetic and needs tons of space an free range time which I could of gave her. Has anybody ever heard of bunnies being bonded after somthing like this or am I just clutching at straws now? I'd do anything to get them together but I'm starting to think it not fair on Sooty to put him through anymore. I feel awful:cry:

I don't have any bonding experience which will help but I am sure someone on here will be able to help! I really hope it works out for them in the end.

What a shock! :(

Our too did have a nasty fight and then were successfully bonded by but an experienced bonder.

I am sure someone will come on with more experience and advise you.

I wouldn't read too much into it to be honest. As soon as one escaped into the other's pen, it's not neutral territory, and the fact that they separated themselves instead of continuing to fight suggests that they can't hate each other that much. I would let them calm down for some time and let those injuries heal, and then try again on neutral territory and supervising very carefully. Given that they have had a fight, I would just be much more aware of their body language and act with a little more caution than normal in letting them approach each other. I don't see that it's definitely a no-go area after that experience.

You've had a set back which was an accident and i really think that they can get over it.

I dont know much about bonding but i do know that it can take more than 1 attempt. Honestly, i think you could try again.

Best of luck xxxx

Awww what a shame, I can understand you feeling worried however, I agree with Santa and Grin - how they behave behind bars is completely different to neutral territory - those injuries are minimal and can happen through bars. I'd actually remain positive that on a fresh attempt in neutral territory they will be fine.:wave:

Thanks everyone for reading my very long post and for your replies it's good to know that people don't think that bonding will no longer be possible, I feel so sorry for Sooty with his little shaven ear but I still can't bear to give up on the bond just yet.
I had said I was going to attempt bonding once more myself and then get some help with it, I don't think I will have the guts to try them together again after this i'd be on pins everytime they went near each other so Ill look into sending them away to be bonded by a rescue at least that way someone more experienced will be able to tell me whether they think the bond will ever work after observing how they are together. I don't want to put Sooty through the stress of me keeping trying if it's a lost cause.

Back