• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do You Ever Wish That Rabbits Had Never Been Domesticated ?

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
I do.

I really think that they are a species of animal that will always be happier and healthier in the wild, no matter how hard we try to make Pet Rabbit's lives as good as possible.

In the wild their lives may well be much shorter, but I bet that many health problems we see in our Pets, especially GI issues, just dont happen in the wild.

Feeling really useless today :cry:

:( Hope you feel better soon. I guess I do wish that but then again, that means that my bunnies would have never have been born or existed and that's a really horrible thought because I know they are happy and enjoy life.

Pet breed rabbits like lops, dutch and all the other breeds that we own. Would never survive in the wild. Hop you hope you fell better soon Jaks jane :wave:

Pet breed rabbits like lops, dutch and all the other breeds that we own. Would never survive in the wild. Hop you hope you fell better soon Jaks jane :wave:

I think Jane means she sometimes wishes pet breeds had never been created, she's not about to release her buns ;)

Yes, totally agree, especially when you see what some humans do to them:roll::roll:

I guess it's selfish both ways. 1- they are only here so us humans can have the joy of keeping them as pets but 2- not wanting them to have a life because they'd be better off elsewhere. I think it's terrible so many people abuse them and they should be banned from ever having pets :cry: but lots of people like us love them and care for them brilliantly and they are happy and don't know any different. With us humans, i'm sure there's places we'd rather be and be better off, doesn't mean I wish we'd never been born.

Just my opinion though, hope I didn't offend anyone by it, I'm just answering the question. x

Last edited:
Totally agree with jane. If buns were never domesticated all the suffering that these animals go through and the pain that we feel associated with helping care for mistreated and malnurished buns wouldn't exist. I love my buns to absolute pieces but it would be selfish of me to think that i'd be going without if they had never been domesticated. The whole reason I pick up the pieces of purposely adopting poorly pet shop buns when I see them, and care for my other adopted unwanted buns is because of the mess created by domestication. We all do it for bunny kind :) i'd much rather they'd remained wild and no bun suffered at the hands of a human. Admiring them from afar would be enough for me if I knew i'd never have to see another beautiful bunny in a tiny cage. I feel all helpless now there are so many buns that none of us will ever reach to help them all :(

I guess it's selfish both ways. 1- they are only here so us humans can have the joy of keeping them as pets but 2- not wanting them to have a life because they'd be better off elsewhere. I viol it's terrible so many people cause them and they should be banned from ever having pets :cry: but lots of people like us love them and care for them brilliantly and they are happy and don't know any different. With us humans, i'm sure there's places we'd rather be and be better off, doesn't mean I wish we'd never been born.

Just my opinion though, hope I didn't offend anyone by it, I'm just answering the question. x

I agree with this^^^x

Yes, totally agree, especially when you see what some humans do to them:roll::roll:

Exactly I do think the line between pet and toy gets blurred sometimes :roll:

I dont think they shouldnt be pets but I do think some of the 'created' breeds eg lops rex etc that tend to have the health problems shouldnt have been created. The more natural looking the rabbit the fewer health problems generally :(

I've never really thought about this before but I guess I agree, I love my buns very much and can't imagine life without them but rabbits are more wild animals then pets. I think pets like hamsters and rats should be pets as my rats are so much different to wild ones and always seem so happy and loving, they crave human attention whereas rabbits are more 'independent'. I know the people on here's rabbits are happy with their pet lifestyle and don't know any different though xx

I agree I think the key word there is ownership too I often think people feel an animal is theirs to do with as they wish

Me too :( In many cases this is too true but I don't see myself as 'owning' my pets, I don't do anything that they don't want to do and they are pretty much in control of their own lives if you know what I mean.

I couldn't agree with you more Jane.

I think the more you do for your bunnies, the more you realise they need i.e all of mine have very spacious sheds and enclosures, but I still feel that it's not enough.

I love to watch rabbits in the wild. Hares even more so. It's a shame that we have chosen to imprison them for our own pleasure.

Back