• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Northerners - are your buns out in these gales?

How are they doing?

Im glad mine came indoors in November or theyd still be out there and possibly dead by now. My hutch is in the middle of the yard area with the lid broken off!! :shock: It was in the most sheltered place too, in a little horse shoe shaped area!

On the bright side, nobun was hurt and when my playhouse comes in the summer, dad cant argue "you already have a hutch!" :lol:

I dont knwo what id have done if they were in it! It doesnt bare thinking about!! :shock: :(

I live in the south, but the winds are pretty bad here too. A huge tree was blown down last night:?

I'm really worried about the bunnies.

I live in the south, but the winds are pretty bad here too. A huge tree was blown down last night:?

I'm really worried about the bunnies.

:lol: yes this is discrimination this thread! (joking) I'm down South and it's blowing an absolute gale my outdoor pair retreated into the shed sometime ago they don't like it that much when it's relentless gale force (don't blame them) I think possibly because more than anything it affects their hearing which after dark is a major asset.

Its insane around here! I fell over walking from college to the bus stop which is just outside, there was a lady blown over on Redcar highstreet, one of the big road signs was over on the coast road, the guttering has come off one side of our house, but that wasnt helped by the snow we had in december.

Ive never known wind like it! :shock:

Im now worried about the piggies, theyre close to the ground, the wind cant get under any of their setup. They have a hutch in a covered run, im hoping theyll be ok. Must be scary for them though! :( Mean old father! :evil:

:lol: yes this is discrimination this thread! (joking) I'm down South and it's blowing an absolute gale my outdoor pair retreated into the shed sometime ago they don't like it that much when it's relentless gale force (don't blame them) I think possibly because more than anything it affects their hearing which after dark is a major asset.

I said northerners because i heard north on the weather :p

Yep mine are out! They're in a hutch upstairs with a 6x4 run downstairs that they've got 24/7 access too, and when i last checked about 10 mins ago they were down in the run playing in their tunnel :)

To be fair they are completely sealed in as got a made to measure all seasons cover for the whole lot so i'm not saying there may not be a few drafts as the wind is so bad but they're bone dry in there.

I was worried what i'd come home to tonight after work but they were fine, if the cover looked at all iffy or in danger of taking off, i'd have bought them in.

I up all night coughing at the moment so i'll be at the kitchen window checking at regular intervals!

mine are inside for re bonding and i am glad they are. the shed is secure but i'd still worry! :?

its also nice not to have to trudge up to the shed in this damn awful weather too! :lol:

Its hurrendous here, one of the windows has actually gone through :shock: And the huge metal garage doors have blown open. Poor buns can't come inside, they're being sensible today though and sitting in their bedroom areas. Luckily the hutches are situated so there's a garage a bit infront of them, the house to the left, a wall behind and a wall to the right so it's not too bad where they are

its also nice not to have to trudge up to the shed in this damn awful weather too! :lol:

tell me about it, my hair blew right over my face and stuck there, the hood on my chuffing poncho kept blowing down then the back of the poncho blew up right over my head, their hay blew away out the bowl on the way from the shed to the hutch then i was emptying their tray and got a face full of wet and poopy megazorb :roll: I still love them to bits thoughm they're worth it ;)

I ended up bring Heather inside :oops: (she is in the bathroom with the window open and heating off) Our neighbours fence had been blown off earlier and now ours has just gone :shock::shock:

So glad I bought her in.

Sonny's in the garage, fortunately, as his would be the only one at risk from blowing over. The others are in enclosures which are fixed to the ground and very heavy, so should be ok.
Just going out to check on them now, but would imagine they'll be snuggled up in their sheltered area.

16 out of 20 are still outside

i brought my squishy & charlie in for fear of their hutch blowing over, theirs doesnt have an attached run yet, so isnt as secure as the others, and when i went out to get them, the wind had blown the roof in on my frenchies run, and it was stuck in the run, lucky really else it would have squished them, so they came in too

Yep, Sox is outside! The wind is horendous here! :(
But Sox' hutch is in the shed, but he has 24/7 access to his run(because the snow killed the door:roll:)and he's currently sat in his run :roll: He's too much of a man to run away from the wind :roll::lol:
I'm not worried about him too much, I think he'll be fine :)
I hate this wind though, its actually SORE on your face :| and the rain don't help either, its pouring and has been all day!
Typical Scottish weather....:roll: :| :lol:

tell me about it, my hair blew right over my face and stuck there, the hood on my chuffing poncho kept blowing down then the back of the poncho blew up right over my head, their hay blew away out the bowl on the way from the shed to the hutch then i was emptying their tray and got a face full of wet and poopy megazorb :roll: I still love them to bits thoughm they're worth it ;)

:lol::lol::lol:

I had to laugh! Id have payed to watch you sorting them out, sounds like a carry on film! :lol:

Yep, Sox is outside! The wind is horendous here! :(
But Sox' hutch is in the shed, but he has 24/7 access to his run(because the snow killed the door:roll:)and he's currently sat in his run :roll: He's too much of a man to run away from the wind :roll::lol:
I'm not worried about him too much, I think he'll be fine :)
I hate this wind though, its actually SORE on your face :| and the rain don't help either, its pouring and has been all day!
Typical Scottish weather....:roll: :| :lol:

Luckily, we dont have rain!!

My three are outside at the moment. Two are in a hutch which is the kind that's 6x4 with a run under and beside it. They have a compete waterproof and canvas cover which has polystyrene under it and some in the roof space as well. They were out in the garden yesterday as the weather got worse but I had to put them away early because they were huddled up beside the fence sitting in the rain. Our garden is full of places to shelter because we have three kids so there are slides, a playhouse and a trampoline to shelter under - not including their hutch as well!! I was worried about them getting dry again if they stayed out too long. They didn't even want to come in for pellets. I actually wondered if the noise of the wind and all the things flapping in the garden meant that they were petrified.

My other bun is in a hutch with a run under and there is a massive tarpaulin over the hutch as well as loft insulation. I have tied the tarp down tight all around him. He was fine last night so I hope my knots were good enough again tonight!

I also had a great time cleaning them out today. The wind was blowing hay and litter everywhere and it was sticking to everything becuase of the rain. I looked like a scarecrow by the time I was finished!! Just as well they are so well loved. I am worried about the ones whose owners haven't taken any extra precautions and are most likely in wet, draughty hutches.

:lol::lol::lol:

I had to laugh! Id have payed to watch you sorting them out, sounds like a carry on film! :lol:

Lol think gave new neighbours a laugh the old ones were used to me stood outside with my miners head torch on and bum sticking out the hutch door, think they were stood in their kitchen thinking 'what the......'hopefully the wind drowned out all my swearing, there was lots and I even kicked my poncho after lobbing it in the hall in a huff. :oops::lol::lol:

mine are unfortunatly outside, there covers are pinned and hooked on, with towels underneith and about 10 bricks holding the covers down.
my dad said it should calm down after tonight, i hope so i hate them being out there in this!

Back