• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

People in rented accom.- house bunnies

nessar

Warren Veteran
This is a question for all those who rent their houses. How easy is it to find somewhere that will allow house bunnies?

In May-June time next year I will be moving into private rented accomodation, probably a 1-2 bed flat. I know its ages away but if its nigh impossible to find somewhere I cant really get Barney a girly friend, as pairs are so much harder to rehome if it came to the worst. I really want to just take the risk and do it, as noone can really be 100% about what their life will be like in 2 years time. My sister has said she would love to have them if I cant and Barney adores her, but it depends on my stepfather and he doesnt like me :(

I've been proactive and contacted 16 estate agents in the area I will be moving to (a good couple of hundred miles from where I am now) and they just said it depends on the landlord, and I cant start looking till around 1-2 months before I move, which doesnt give much time to find somewhere! The area is Portsmouth if it makes a difference.

Advice needed please!!

I found that when we offered a pet deposit they were alot more helpful! Luckly our landlord was fine with us having the buns, it just depends on how handson your estate agents are, if you can explain the situation and if you are happy to pay for any bunny damage.

I'm going to be in the same position in May looking for houses with a rabbit. I'm going with the honesty route, I would hate to be caught out. In the place I am in at the moment I was honest as they said any pets are fine except cats and dogs. I'm hoping that when I look for places the landlord would assume Pierre goes outside and when they find out its their mistake and can see that he hasn't caused any damage.
I'd say go for it on the basis that you will be finding somewhere that can take your current bun, you wouldn't want to give him up, you might not find the best suitable places in one hit could take you couple of weeks maybe a month, there will be landlords out there. :)

Sorry its not better advice.

Last edited:
I took the non-honest route....the landlord doesn't know about my pair. However, my flat is in Stoke, and he lives in Manchester so I get away with it.

I know it's naughty :oops:

I took the non-honest route....the landlord doesn't know about my pair. However, my flat is in Stoke, and he lives in Manchester so I get away with it.

Hes ages away :lol:

The law actually states that the landlord has to give you 24 hours notice before they come in, I don't think this includes emergencies though. A solicitor advised my friend to change the locks due to the landlord just appearing. So you could get away with it and then move them when he comes, but its having someone to move them to and the hassle of moving them. :wave:

When we moved home we looked for the house we liked. The add said "NO PEts". We contacted the lanlord and he made us sign a waiver about us paying any damage caused by the rabbit..
We had no problem at all.

It can be difficult.

However, a lot of flats state "no pets" but they really mean cats and dogs - it's always worth ringing the agent and asking if an exception could be made for a rabbit. Explain to them that he'll be caged while your out of the house and only let out for supervised exercise when you're at home.

It also helps to offer an extra deposit and/or write a clause into the contract which obliges you to have the carpets professionally cleaned when you leave.

Hi I did exactly the same. Got my son 2 rescued bunnies and moved them into his room and never told the landlord. Mind you I also had a cat too they never knew about. I over 20 years of renting, now have own place, I was only caught twice having a cat and it was never an issue. I kept the flats spotless. Landlords are only worried about damage. Just be careful they don't chew the carpet. I think if you can rent a flat that is owned by a company rather than the one off property owned by one person it is much easier as they never want to come around and send general work men over if there is every any problems with eletrics or heating. Good Luck.

I moved in - then got my house bunny. LL came round and saw him though, well we showed him, and he was fine.

:wave: My landlady was fine with house bunnies, i'm sure you'll be able to find somewhere suitable! She didn't ask for any extra deposit but I know plenty of other tenants who have paid this in order to keep pets with no problens. A lot of landlords probably won't be all too familiar with the concept of keeping rabbits indoors, so you will probably need to explain that they are litter trained etc...it might also help to have someone willing to act as a referee such as a previous landlord or housemate :)

There are a few that will take buns even though they say NO PETS - its always worth asking as naive people think rabbits are non destructive :lol::lol::lol::lol: I would be honest, say hes litter trained etc etc and you will pay for any damage, you may have to pay a bigger deposit.

We were so lucky with our landlord, he was more than happy with our dog and buns, even though they live outside he said they could live inside if needs be which is great, if one becomes ill etc... he even left us a shed for them :D (not that we used it - I use it for the hay) but what a lovely thought!

When we moved in Grimlock was outside but I asked them if he could come in when he was ill and they were more than happy and always used to ask after him. :)

It can be difficult.

However, a lot of flats state "no pets" but they really mean cats and dogs - it's always worth ringing the agent and asking if an exception could be made for a rabbit. Explain to them that he'll be caged while your out of the house and only let out for supervised exercise when you're at home.

It also helps to offer an extra deposit and/or write a clause into the contract which obliges you to have the carpets professionally cleaned when you leave.

This. The house we are moving to later this month said no pets in the ad, agent told us the landlady hates cats and dogs, but she's fine with us having Beau :D

I rent, this is the second place I have rented and the first place I found on looking when moving from my old pet friendly shared house. I just ensure to ask the landlord, my landlords don't mind the buns having free reign either; they're not the sort that say yes but prefer the animal to be caged.

iygwim. :wave: xxx

Rabbits are "caged animals" remember ;) and lots of landlords will say that's ok as they consider cats and dogs to be the destructive ones.

It can be hard, but can be done. Before I got this place I found a couple that would accept us, but they were in a slightly cheaper/rougher area or had been available for a while.

Looks for places that have old carpets and need a new paint job etc. You won't find any that will allow pets in newly renovated accomodation.

Right thank you guys :) that was the last little hurdle I had to get over. Now I can tell myself to stop worrying over something such a long time away and focus on getting my boy a girly bun :D so excited!

If you can lie and say they stay in their cage. We did that at first, but then I let slip that Dawn gets all over the house, landlady was okay with it thankfully since we're forking out money to pay for new carpets anyway :lol:

If they don't know much about rabbits they will assume they are kept in a cage. Come inspection day/visits that's where they need to be.

Hannah

Back