• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Growing your own natural bunny food... minus the yucky bugs :p

Zahirre

Warren Veteran
As I was reading through Jane's thread with all the yummy natural food diet she's been changing over to for her buns, I thought I'd share a link I've found.
I don't have the time or energy to go foraging all the time but would love my buns to be on a completely natural diet as well.
As a member on the shelled warriors forum, I came across their shop. They sell oodles of different types of seeds AND, as I found, ones specially for buns and piggies!!!!
Not expensive... and FREE postage :D

So, here's the link :)

http://www.shelledwarriorsshop.co.uk/rabbit--guinea-pig-seed-mix-10g-78-p.asp

And this is the link for how to grow them!

http://www.shelledwarriorsshop.co.u...on-how-to-grow-your-seed-in-winter-1416-p.asp (please ignore the bit about adding limestone, this is specifically for tortoises... Just pop ordinary soil in!)

Hope it's ok for everyone! I ordered some for the buns this afternoon and ordered a tortoise mix for daisy :D

x

"red clover, may cause the rabbit to get ill or develop diarrhoea - but only if it's at the 'moldy' stage"

After looking around that seems to be the main answer. I'm not sure though, I'm not that experienced lol.

Did you notice they also sell frozen rabbits and other small animals? :(. Seeds are great value though and plug plants look good.

Did you notice they also sell frozen rabbits and other small animals? :(. Seeds are great value though and plug plants look good.

Yes, I did but they are mainly a reptile-led shop. I'm sort of used to all that, owning snakes but I'm glad you mentioned it.
If you would feel upset about them selling things like that, please just view the seeds and nothing else. There isn't anything else for buns in the shop!

Yes, I will stick to the seeds! Funny how opinions change to suit the animals you look after isn't it! I don't mind feeding worms and wee insects to my fish but I am sure other people wouldn't like that. Thanks for the site though, really struggling with fresh herbs etc this winter.

I try and grow plants edible to both me and the pets. Apples for me, twigs for the pets (I totally get the better deal there), they get tonnes of herbs (I always have herbs in my cooking) and I grow a variety of veggies they can eat, I have pesticide free grass that grows faster than they can eat (yay for 4 acres of it) as well as a selection of "weeds" both in the garden and in the horse fields that are edible. Its hard to find places that sell the seeds to start somewhere like that off. Ive passed the link round to friends, although its because they like the wild meadow look to a garden rather than a feed the pets need!

Back