• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

After-spay care... A few questions

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
Honey is getting spayed next wed and I'm terrified :( I'm going to be a total wreck until she starts eating, I was bad enough yesterday when she wasn't eating breakfast... I just want to make sure I do everything right when she comes home. She has a cardboard box in her run that she normally sits/sleeps on, she much prefers being on that than on the floor. Is it ok to leave that in for her or should I take it out (it's about 8 inches high)? Also, she lives in the lounge, will she be warm enough overnight with no heating or should I put a heater near her run? It's going to be terrible, it takes her about 3 hours to get over a normal vet trip (she hides in her box) so after being there all day and having a major op its going to be 10 times worse :( any advice much appreciated!

Well she really shouldn't be jumping on top of things, so you should really remove the box. Or try and make it so that she can only go inside the box and not on top.

Just make sure you have lots of fresh foods of her favourite kind so you can get her eating. Also try soaking some pellets in water if she seems reluctant.

She will be fine without the heating on, as long as it's the normal temperature she is used to.

Honey is getting spayed next wed and I'm terrified :( I'm going to be a total wreck until she starts eating, I was bad enough yesterday when she wasn't eating breakfast... I just want to make sure I do everything right when she comes home. She has a cardboard box in her run that she normally sits/sleeps on, she much prefers being on that than on the floor. Is it ok to leave that in for her or should I take it out (it's about 8 inches high)? Also, she lives in the lounge, will she be warm enough overnight with no heating or should I put a heater near her run? It's going to be terrible, it takes her about 3 hours to get over a normal vet trip (she hides in her box) so after being there all day and having a major op its going to be 10 times worse :( any advice much appreciated!

I would give her a snugglesafe so she has the option and a towel which is nice and soft too. Most vets wont let them go home until they have eaten something but it might be worth having some critical care on standby just in case.

they should do but make sure the vets give her pain relief for over night. Im sure she will be fine it is a fairly straight forward procedure

I packed a lunch box for mine to have when they came out of surgery...I think it helped get them munching again - so any favourite nommys she likes would be good to have available for her to have at the vets. I also took their little fleece blankets - so they had a familiar smell after their ops..I think that helped make them feel a little safer.
Pain relief should be given - usually 5 days worth.
Mine adore banana - so as it was liquid I squished it into that and it worked a treat.
Make sure they have given pain relief and sometimes agut stimulant too before you leave the vets.

Mine were quite quiet & just sat ...so expect that. You can out hay into toilet rolls for her to eat from - then hay wont be all over the floor & get into her wound. Also haveing a bowl of water helps as when they arent too well - they prefer to not have to lift thier heads up alot...so a bowl is easier for them.
Id pop in a snuggle safe - as long as there is room for her to move away from the heat if she want to - also she needs to be able to have a coller space to go to...but after a GA they are unable to regulate their body temps as usual...so make sure her base does have a soft warmish area...a fleece or towl would do.
I used puppy training pads and they worked really well - as long as oyu dont have a chewer...it just enable them to wee but kept the surface area dry. She needs to be in a smallish area - she should not be able to run madly or jump at all for at least a good 5-10 days so her woulnd can heal properly....if she likes the box could you get one that is really high so she can jump on top - so it reaches the height of her run - but then she still has a box to sit in if you know what I mean?
Otherwise you will just have to put a blanket over half the run so she has a safe area to be.

Hope this helps - sorry abit long - jut things I did and it seemed to help! Good luck - sure it will all go fine ! My girls were fine!:D

This is only my experience as I've only spayed one bun. I too made sure she went to vets with her own food, I made sure the cage was clean and lined it with vet bed and she also seemed to prefer drinking from a bowl for a day or 2 after, when she became a bit more mobile she stuck her foot in it so I removed it from then on and she was happy back with her bottle. I also put a large blanket over the top and just one side of the cage keeping the front and other side clear, just in case of drafts but I also thought it might make her feel safer. Have no idea whether she appreciated this or not or if it annoyed her? I also raised the cage off the floor a little so this could be an option if you're worried about drafts. I found that using a towel to wrap round her was a good way of picking her up when I needed to check the wound and to give her meds, this way she felt safe and was less likely to be able to kick and jump out my hands.

Last edited:
Oh I was terrified when Orla was spayed a few weeks back! Luckily the vets kept her overnight & by the time I collected her in the afternoon she was just glad to get home & chill.

They seem to bounce back from the spay really quick, I kept Orlas cardboard box out of her cage for a week until the wound healed. :D

I would give her a snugglesafe so she has the option and a towel which is nice and soft too. Most vets wont let them go home until they have eaten something but it might be worth having some critical care on standby just in case.

they should do but make sure the vets give her pain relief for over night. Im sure she will be fine it is a fairly straight forward procedure

Be very careful using a snugglesafe when she first comes home, as they can sometimes be very drowsy so she could easily overheat. She will be fine inside without heating overnight.

Stock up on all her favourites beforehand, and offer her fresh foods every couple of hours to tempt her, but be prepared for her to just sleep when she first comes home.

Good luck, and try not to worry too much

I couldn't sleep the night before I was so worried but luckily I'd arranged to meet an old friend for lunch the same day as the op and that really helped me to take my mind off it, otherwise I'd have been pacing back and forth at home watching the clock.

So can Honey not have her normal litter tray with hay in? She's always gone to the loo on hay, don't know what she'll make of it if she can't!

I take the normal litter tray away, and use a shallow one for a couple of days, and put the hay beside the tray rather than in it.

Hi, long time lurker, first post :wave:

I have no advice as I am having my first bunny spayed on Monday, just wanted to say I'm right there with you with on the being terrified, worried and paranoid front! Big hugs to you and Honey xx

Hi, long time lurker, first post :wave:

I have no advice as I am having my first bunny spayed on Monday, just wanted to say I'm right there with you with on the being terrified, worried and paranoid front! Big hugs to you and Honey xx

Aww thanks, hugs to you and your bunny too! Hope all goes well :) x

Back