• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help think bun is pregnant

poyassine

New Kit
Hiya I think my Scruffy is pregnant. We have 2 rabbits (was told they were boys) and found out that one is female and other is male. Had Max castrated, but we had to wait to see if Scruffy got pregnant, they have been apart since tuesday due to maybe pregnancy and his op. Anyways, Scruffy is definitely nesting today and pushing all hay to one side of bed box. What do I do? Should I give her more hay or leave her to it and when will we see baby buns?

hi there,rabbits are pregnant for approx 31 days,make sure she has plenty of hay to help build a nest with,they normally have their babies at night.this is what ive learnt and read up on as i took in a french lop from a breeder and she came to me pregnant.

Make sure she has extra food too to build up her strength. You will need to remove dad too.

we have had them for 3 months, they are 5 months old and are brother and sister, have always been together. She has stopped building her nest for now and seems very relaxed, we have been told to keep max away from her as he is fine now after his post op check. But need to lock her in her hutch to let max run around for a bit. She was lying down before and we could have sworn we saw her tummy move about (not her breathing), it was moving in waves if that makes sense. Have giving her more hay and more food just need to keep an eye out now. What if it is a phantom pregnancy? What do I look out for, will she get aggressive?

I would keep an eye on her for 31 days since they were separated. After that if you don't see babies get her spayed. I hope it is just a phantom pregnancy but the tummy moving in waves sounds like she's pregnant.

Six weeks after a male is neutered he is 'safe' to go back with a female without getting her pregnant. They can still be fertile for about six weeks after.

Give the female lots of hay and food as you are doing and make sure she is in a warm, draught free environment that's quiet which will be the best environment if she does give birth. And if she does I'm sure some lovely people on here will give you some advice regarding babies.

As I said get her spayed as soon as you can. That way your two rabbits should be able to live together very happily. As females get older they can get aggressive and territorial and spaying helps stop that. It's also important to stop cancer as about 80% of female rabbits get uterine cancer by the age of five if unspayed.

Good luck, sounds like you're doing everything right so far. :wave:

Oh dear, you'll have to provide extra hay and food and keep her litter area clean but, don't disturb her 'nesting' area, I don't have direct experience but, from what I've read they tend to give birth at night and it's a good idea to mark your hands with her scent before touching the nest area or babies, you'll have to check that there are no dead ones etc. Other than that assuming she deliveres alright and there are no complications, she should look after the babies herself so best to leave alone most of the time, people generally check the babies are feeding again this generally occurs once or twice a day and then she might avoid them (prey animal instincts) apparently if the babies are feeding well they will have little pingpong ball shaped tummies - your vets will advise I am sure, are you planning on keeping them all as a little family?

thanks for all your replies, no I am not planning to keep them all, maybe one, but have had lots of offers from friends. I don't have the space unfortunately. If I do decide to keep one when can I introduce it to Max (the dad)?

She'll need more than just hay for the nest: which can sometimes be too dusty for the very young babies (but not always, it depends where you buy it from) short-cut straw, wood shavings and shredded material is also helpful. She will need a proper nest box so the babies can't roll around.

As she gets more pregnant, she should be spending more time in the bedroom, getting hungrier and more anxious.

Give her as much pellets and hay as she wants. She'll drink more than usual.

Make sure you have the vet on speeddial throughout the birth, since she is so young and probably not fully grown.

If you need any advice on raising the kits or anything about once they're born, I could help.

If it's a phantom you'll need to be careful and give her love, but respect her while she's in shock. My friend's rabbit died of shock when she had a phantom pregnancy.

Back