• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rifampicin and zithromax combined

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
Anyone used these?

Have just seen Parsley's CT scans on a dvd - abscess is enormous and eroding all bones in ear area and dangerously close to brain.

Vet wants to flush again, perhaps try and put in a drain, and then treat with these following her discussions with some other exotics.. We are still only on a 'holding' state but getting desperate. This is staph aureus with osteomyelitis and abscess in inaccessible area for surgery due to extreme proximity to brain

PS Parsley himself seems totally unaware of his abscess and is incredible lively and rushes round the place and bounces everywhere and has no balance or motive problems at all (just a half paralysed face).

I've no experience of using rifampicin but didn't want to read and run- I hope you find a combo that works for Parsley xx

Is he on high pain relief? I had a bunny with an abscess and tumour eating away at his ear bones yet seemed bright and my vet told me that those bones were extremely sensitive and he would be in considerable pain despite his lively appearance :(

Is he on high pain relief? I had a bunny with an abscess and tumour eating away at his ear bones yet seemed bright and my vet told me that those bones were extremely sensitive and he would be in considerable pain despite his lively appearance :(

No he's not on metacam - its really difficult to believe he is in any pain - I mean he is the bun that is closest to us in terms of emotional attachment and also being a house (and patio) bun and so we know him very very well. He voluntarily throws himself around the place, leaps up and down, runs round and round and round and round and round , and binkies and all sorts - for hours on end. We showed the video to the vet and she was amazed. He really is the liveliest must fun loving and energetic bun we have! Bright would not describe it - manically high would be more to the point!!

He also zonks out in the 'completely relaxed' position.

We did have him on metacam for a while several weeks ago (in the hope of shrinking some inflamation before the extent was fully realised) and it made no difference at all to the way he behaves.

Last edited:
No he's not on metacam - its really difficult to believe he is in any pain - I mean he is the bun that is closest to us in terms of emotional attachment and also being a house (and patio) bun and so we know him very very well. He voluntarily throws himself around the place, leaps up and down, runs round and round and round and round and round , and binkies and all sorts - for hours on end. We showed the video to the vet and she was amazed. He really is the liveliest must fun loving and energetic bun we have!

He also zonks out in the 'completely relaxed' position.

We did have him on metacam for a while several weeks ago (in the hope of shrinking some inflamation before the extent was fully realised) and it made no difference at all to the way he behaves.

Given that no abx will be curative does your Vet think that taking such a huge risk with trying Rifampicin and Zithromax is a risk worth taking ?

If he is so happy, pain free and totally unaware of his problems would doing nothing be an option ? It's just that abx induced enteritis/enterotoxaemia is horrendous and an awful way for a Bun to go. If there were a good chance of a cure or at least of stopping progression of disease then maybe it is a risk that has to be taken. But if not then perhaps the significant risk outweighs any potential benefit ?

Lots of luck with whatever you decide xx

we are hoping it will stop progression and thus give him more years.

The CT scan shows that the abscess could progress into his brain or over his face and jaw within weeks (or less) if we do nothing. It is like a crumbling damn with a huge tidal wave of pus

We have considered Zithromax only or combination. (after also considering a variety of other things). The vet believes that a combination gives us the best chance.

Believe me we have angsted endlessly over this one - technically he is my partners bun and so it is also up to him really though we are both agreeing treatment. What can I say other than that for my partner this is most definitely a soulbun.

Last edited:
Moses was absolutely fine too, we didn;t know there was anything wrong with him until the abscess tracked to his face and the whole side of his face was swollen. the vet x-rayed straight away and found out how bad the problem was and was amazed that he had kept going so long with no symptoms given the sensitivity of the area involved. Unfortunately we had no choice but to pts as it was so far gone before we knew about it :( The vet said he must have been in agony, but I wonder if he didn't show it as he was so used to pain given the abuse he had suffered in the past :? :cry:

He was such a special boy, i wish he could have told us his problems earlier

I am so sorry to hear about Moses. Parsley has never had ill treatment as far as we know (he was a stray but in fine fettle when he bounced into our lives). I wonder if the fact that he is paralysed on that side means that he has no feeling of it?

We do know how he looks and acts if in discomfort as he has had other more minor things wrong in the past which have resulted in this. Though he was a champ when he had his broken leg.

Poor Moses had the most horrific life :cry: which is why we were so gutted to think he may have been in pain at the end and we missed it :(

I am glad Parsley is coping so well, I hope it continues :)

Back