• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting fibre into dental buns who can't eat hay. (Pro fibre pellets)

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
Sorry about the confusing title, I had no idea what to write. :oops:

Grim is a dental bun who can't eat hay. He's on excel junior pellets which I soak in water so they soften up and it's easier for him to eat. I have chosen excel as the pellets keep their shape after soaking so he has something to pick up with his lips as he won't lick any food up. The problem was he started to get excess cecals (the squishy 'poos' that rabbits need to eat). He is an extremely fussy bunny and I didn't want to attempt to swap his food over. It took me two years to get him onto pellets... :roll: I needed to get more fibre into his diet. I tried fibreplex and lets just say it didn't work. In slightly more detail it went everywhere but Grim's mouth and he was a very stressed bunny after that.

So I was recommended pro fibre pellets by some lovely people on here but I was scared he wouldn't touch them and tried many different ways to get him to eat them. I just thought I'd share my findings in case it can be of any use to other special needs bunny owners out there. :wave:

I put a scoop of pro fibre pellets into a bowl and add enough water to cover them and a little extra. I let them soak for about an hour and they turn to mush. Then I add a handful of excel pellets and mix it all together so the pro fibre pellet mush covers the excel pellets. I leave that for about five minutes until the excel pellets go soft and serve up on a plate. (Grim finds it uncomfortable to eat out of bowls so he has his own set of plates)

At first he didn't want to eat the new combo. I added a handful of soaked plain excel pellets on the side which he ate and when he was hungry the next time he ate the new combo. Since having the pro fibre pellets his stomach has been a lot better. His appetite has improved greatly, he doesn't make such loud noises with his stomach after eating and the excess cecals have decreased. Over time I hope they will disappear. :)

The only down side is the pro fibre pellets cost £10 - £15 for a tub. It is a fairly large tub and as I'm still on my first one I'm not sure how long it will last.

I know this is totally off topic but where did you get the pellets from?:D

My Benji doesn't eat hay either and I've been considering getting pro-fibre pellets:wave:

I got them from my vets for £15 but you can buy them from the vetuk website too. I'd recommend speaking to your vets first to see if they recommend it. :wave:

I get mine from VetUK for £10 a tub, but if you buy two tubs, you don't pay the postage.

Glad its working well for Grim :)

I got them from my vets for £15 but you can buy them from the vetuk website too. I'd recommend speaking to your vets first to see if they recommend it. :wave:

Oooh okay:) Benji has a check up for his teeth next week I think so I'll ask then:wave:

Back